Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/20/2024 11:21:16 PM EDT
I need somebody who can pin a FSB to a barrel, preferably in the TB area, but I will mail it in if I have to. Here's the deal, I have a cousin and he's really passionate about shooting and AR's, and we always like to meet up at the range and go shooting. I always let him shoot my AR and my ammo cause he likes it and he's my family I love him like a brother. Here's where he's at, his guns that he has are a 9mm Hi-point pistol and a 9mm Hi-point carbine. Quite the fancy collection I know right, but that's really all he can afford. He's a good guy, he works hard every day, he loves his wife and kids and takes good care of them, always puts them first, but after taking care of his family first, at the end of the day he doesn't really have enough money to afford any decent firearms or even ammo for one of his favorite hobbies. I even tried pointing him towards sales, when Andro's where $399 and Anderson's were $349, but even then he tells me that's too much he can't afford it. So I want to do something nice for him and gift him an AR, unknown to him it's going to be a surprise. I'm going to take him shooting and tell him he can keep it. I've gotten a whole bunch of decent secondhand parts together, and the build is almost complete. In fact the only thing left that I need is to have a FSB pinned to the barrel and it will be ready. When I got the barrel I had a few FSB's that I thought maybe one of them could work but all of them are a no-go, the holes don't line up for the pins. So I've got like $350 into it already, which is like $50 over the budget I had in mind, and I don't think I can afford to throw anymore into it. So I was wondering if there's anybody out there who can help a brother out and pin a FSB out of the kindness of their heart, and we can help arm a good fellow. I would try to do it myself but I don't think I know how nor do I have the right equipment to do so. Any knowledge on how to would also be appreciated, thank you.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 11:31:36 PM EDT
[#1]
JT @ RAW

https://retroarmsworks.com/

FSBs/barrels are match drilled and unique to one another.  The chances of mating a predrilled FSB to a foreign barrel that is also previously drilled are akin to guessing the winning Lotto #s.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 11:33:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FlamingDragon] [#2]
Here is the build so far. It's nothing fancy, kind of clapped out but so what, a rattle can should freshen it right up. It's just a pretty basic M4gery, but that's what he likes, and it is all milspec parts.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 12:22:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Pull the barrel and send John at Retro Arms an email with what you need done. He’ll guide you from there.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 7:39:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HipSh0T] [#4]
I think you guys are missing the point where OP is asking if someone is willing to do the work for Free. While JT is the best, he's trying to run a business and even if he accepted, the shipping both ways kind of negates a Free FSB pin plus some.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 10:55:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TGWLDR] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By HipSh0T:
I think you guys are missing the point where OP is asking if someone is willing to do the work for Free. While JT is the best, he's trying to run a business and even if he accepted, the shipping both ways kind of negates a Free FSB pin plus some.
View Quote

Nah, I caught that wind. Hometown Forum is where I'd suggest posting for that avenue.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 12:09:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By JoeBud:
Pull the barrel and send John at Retro Arms an email with what you need done. He’ll guide you from there.
View Quote

Can even he drill a virgin fsb to fit holes in the barrel left from a previous different fsb?  That would be truly impressive!
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 1:49:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TGWLDR] [#7]
Originally Posted By s4s4u:

Can even he drill a virgin fsb to fit holes in the barrel left from a previous different fsb?  That would be truly impressive!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By s4s4u:
Originally Posted By JoeBud:

Drilling/reaming oversize is one option.

Filling the existing taper pin channels with weld / reprofiling and starting "fresh" is a better option, IME.

ETA: OP, another option https://acatholicmechanic.blogspot.com/2016/02/diy-a2-front-sight-base-install.html?m=1

Perfectly suitable for one way range use on a budget.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 1:59:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Could always go this route
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 2:24:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Normlizer:
Could always go this route https://i.ibb.co/vs3tP0f/IMG-20240118-205448-823.jpg
View Quote

Christ.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 2:40:04 PM EDT
[#10]
OP with the cost of shipping both ways as well as what you are seeking to do to that barrel, you might be better off finding a nice used barrel on the EE with the FSB already attached.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 3:08:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By kc-coyote:
OP with the cost of shipping both ways as well as what you are seeking to do to that barrel, you might be better off finding a nice used barrel on the EE with the FSB already attached.
View Quote

I second this ^^^

Or just get a set screw lo-pro and a cheap FF handguard.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 6:55:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Just do a set screw mod to one of your A2 FSBs laying around, it will only cost you a few bucks at Home Depot or wherever. OP, you don't need a ton of tools or major mechanical skills, a YouTube video and basic tools will be sufficient.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 7:09:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Get a bill of sale when this is all done.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 12:12:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Just do a set screw mod to one of your A2 FSBs laying around, it will only cost you a few bucks at Home Depot or wherever. OP, you don't need a ton of tools or major mechanical skills, a YouTube video and basic tools will be sufficient.
View Quote

Actually I like this idea, I could probably do this, I've got the tools for it. I hadn't thought of that, thanks.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 1:56:31 AM EDT
[#15]
If you do use the set screws i would get some rocksett.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 4:00:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Normlizer:
If you do use the set screws i would get some rocksett.
View Quote

Good idea, I was going to mention this but if he looks up a good guide on YouTube etc, the guide should mention this but possibly not....
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 6:20:13 AM EDT
[#17]

Good idea, I was going to mention this but if he looks up a good guide on YouTube etc, the guide should mention this but possibly not....
View Quote

Red Loctite works wonders.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 2:07:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: funnelcake] [#18]
As others have pointed out, since it’s already been drillles pinning a new FSB is not so straight-forward.  I’d get this & any decent, appropriate height front sight.  On sale for $23 bucks.

https://yhm.net/single-rail-gas-block-assy-.750-/

ETA:  Front sight https://www.at3tactical.com/products/utg-gas-block-height-fixed-front-iron-sight-for-ar-15
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top