Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2018 6:52:46 PM EDT
Hey everyone,

im about to embark on my first AR build and i plan on doing as much of it myself as i can. nothing pre assembled if i can help it.  i may go 60% or the easy way and do my first one 80%, still deciding. i dont want to build a basic .223/5.56 rifle. id like to build something with a little more balls.  So, to the AR builders out there that went a different route, what did you build yours with and why?
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 7:09:31 PM EDT
[#1]
What do you already have, where do you have to shoot it, and are you interested in NFA options?
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 4:48:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I dont have a rifle yet. I guess im a little too picky. Id always find something i wasnt too thrilled about when it came to my local stock so i decided to build my first. I have a rifle club a mile from my house so thats convenient for me. I want to get a little insight on what others decided to go with and if they were happy with the decision. Im open to any and all suggestions at this point.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 5:11:16 PM EDT
[#3]
What facilities does the rifle club have? What you build needs to match how you are going to shoot it. What's the point of a bay blaster SBR if you can only shoot 200 yards slowfire?
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 5:40:47 PM EDT
[#4]
its a 200 yard range.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 6:22:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I have consulted the tea leaves and here is your build:

Use a 16" BCM ELW fluted barrel with midlength gas, SLR adjustable gas block, standard forged upper reciever, BCM BCG, dust cover kit and forward assist assembly, BCM mod 3 charging handle, MBUS Pro sights, seekins mlok rail,, anderson lower receiver, BCM A5 buffer, spring and receiver extension, CMMG parts kit and Geissele SSA trigger.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 7:10:06 PM EDT
[#6]
All hail the great tea leaves!  I will look into these. Thanks for the info
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 9:25:21 PM EDT
[#7]
For what it's worth I actually do own and enjoy at least one of each of these, sometimes even on the same rifle. But that list should get you a really nice, versatile AR that can plink at 200 yards or more or tear it up at a 3 gun match, whatever you end up getting into with it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 12:44:36 AM EDT
[#8]
For a first rifle, I seriously suggest going with a standard 5.56 rig, either a factory complete rifle or built from quality parts...no 60 or 80 percent receivers on your first go.

Spend your time and initial investment on a reliable rifle, ammunition, and training to establish a baseline of form and function, then go to town with other shit.
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 4:12:14 PM EDT
[#9]
thanks for the information guys. i have come to the realization that for my very first build i will stick to the 5.56. learn to walk before i run. i am a decent machinist, as it is a part of my profession, so completing an 80 percent lower is something i could do in my sleep (famous last words, i know).
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top