Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2021 12:08:16 PM EDT
Hi all,  first post  built my AR 15 in AR family talked me into moving to Cali, anyhow needing to make my AR Cali compliant. Any one know anything about this mag lock , “it won’t let me post the link” it’s at “Jtactical.com” California compliant kit.” it’s the rear take down pin that separates the lower a little bit allowing the mag release to work. With it I could keep my
furniture and be legal, Anyone use one of these , are they advisable, good, bad, any advice appreciated.
Thanks
Derrick
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:40:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome.

THIS SUB should be useful to your specific needs.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:38:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Fellow CA resident here....

I like the Juggernaut kit. I usually combine mine with the Hogue Freedom Fighter kit. Meaning, I just use the Juggernaut rear take down release button. Hogue Freedom Kit...https://www.hogueinc.com/tactical/ar-15-m16/freedomfighter

The unit has it's drawbacks. For instance, with a FTF or double feed, it can be a pain to clear sometimes.

Another option I like is the Compmag. It allows for a functioning AR without the need to "break open" the upper from the lower. It's actually kinda cool, you will still need a fixed mag solution like the Hogue kit but the mag does not need to be removed to be reloaded. You simply open the little side door on the mag, load your rounds, and close it back up. Charge the rifle and you are ready to go.

It's pretty simple. https://www.compmag.net/ar-15-compmag-1/

Truth be told, for a fixed mag solution, I like the Hogue kit because it can be reversed very easily if SHTF.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:42:40 AM EDT
[#3]
I would suggest also considering featureless, since it preserves full function by allowing you to use detachable hi-cap mags, despite being less than ideal in certain respects (and aesthetically displeasing, obviously).  On my build, installing a stock stop (no permanent mods necessary), swapping out the grip, and swapping out the muzzle device make it CA-legal, and it can be put back in its normal configuration in a matter of minutes.

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:40:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would suggest also considering featureless, since it preserves full function by allowing you to use detachable hi-cap mags, despite being less than ideal in certain respects (and aesthetically displeasing, obviously).  On my build, installing a stock stop (no permanent mods necessary), swapping out the grip, and swapping out the muzzle device make it CA-legal, and it can be put back in its normal configuration in a matter of minutes.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49786484421_0932f0daf2_b.jpg
View Quote

I'd agree with this.  I built up 2 Cali legal versions to compare - one fixed mag, one featureless.  It just took one day at the range to ditch the fixed mag and go all featureless.  Fixed mag ran fine, but I found myself fumbling with it a lot.  Also, you have to be careful if you have any full capacity mags not to put one in the fixed mag lower, or instant felony.

IMO, fixed mag is fine if that's all you run, and your muscle memory for fast, reliable mag changes develops.  There are lots of videos of people doing fixed mag swaps just as quickly as traditional mag swaps.  I have enough rifles with traditional mag releases that the investment in training for a fixed mag change didn't seem worth the time, trouble, and ammo.

One downside of featureless is you won't be able to use an upper with a flash hider.  I have a CMMG 14.7" with a p&w flash hider that I can't use currently until I either have someone swap the muzzle device, or I swap the barrel.  The other downside is finding a grip that you like.  I've been through 3 of them, and currently like Sparrow Dynamics grip the best.  YMMV, as always.

Calguns is a good resource for info on this as well.  In any case, it's not that expensive to build up one of each if you have 2 or more uppers and lowers, and one upper can be made featureless easily.

ETA:
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top