Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2021 3:34:34 PM EDT
So I have the CMMG bravo kit in my standard .223 wylde AR.

I also purchased the charging handle insert and buffer plug from borebuddy.com.

I noticed they also have other assorted "upgrade kits."  

What else should I get to make my .22lr run better. I havn't shot it yet, so I want it to run best once I do. What's not worth getting, and what is worth getting?

I will be shooting CCI stinger ammo.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 3:51:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you trying to create a dedicated .22?
If so, I'd recommend a .22 barrel and maybe the Catch22 bolt catch.

Otherwise, I'd say you're ready to shoot.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 4:00:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are you trying to create a dedicated .22?
If so, I'd recommend a .22 barrel and maybe the Catch22 bolt catch.

Otherwise, I'd say you're ready to shoot.
View Quote

Oh no. Not a dedicated .22. That will be a separate build. I'm talking about a .223 wylde or 5.56 upper, but with the CMMG Bravo kit drop in BCG in it. I just want to know what other upgrades I should put in it besides the buffer plug and charging handle insert. I'm talking stuff like extractor upgrades, bolt weights, firing pins, yada yada yada. You know what I mean?
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 4:00:29 PM EDT
[#3]
You should be gtg but I would use some kind of lube as I believe this improves reliability, especially on a new kit.    CMMG doesn’t recommend stingers in there 22 conversion because the actual brass is slightly longer and maybe higher pressure than HV 22 LR ammo.   The walls of the chamber insert are not as strong as an actual barrel chamber and have been known to crack.

My conversion kits function near 100% with CCI Blazers, Federal bulk 525/550 packs, Armscor HV and Winchester 333/555 ammo.   I did get a box of Winchester 333 ammo which leaded one of my pistol barrels.   I prefer to shoot plated bullets in my AR-15 with 22 conversion as you get lead build up on the flash hider after extensive firing.

I usually use a 22 bore snake on my centerfire AR-15 barrels after shooting rimfire ammo.   I also recommend shooting two or three rounds of centerfire 223 after shooting 1000 rimfire.  I always run a bore snake through my centerfire barrel prior to firing 223 ammo.   I normally run my 22 conversions with Breakfree CLP but others like dry lube.  Regardless what lube you use rimfire ammo is filthy.

I moved to dedicated rimfire upper and lower because I hated all the filth in my 5.56/223 AR-15’s.   I shoot way more 22 LR rimfire than centerfire.   I really like shooting steel plates with the 22 rimfire in AR-15’s.   The 1:9 twist barrels usually get fewer fliers than 1:8 twist but my 1:7 twist barrel has the poorest least consistent accuracy of my 223/5.56 AR-15 barrels.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 4:08:27 PM EDT
[#4]
What twist is your bbl, OP?
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 5:12:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
What twist is your bbl, OP?
View Quote

Criterion core barrel, 1/8 twist, .223 wylde, CHF 16” barrel, Mid length gas system
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 5:23:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd see if the Aguila 60 grn SSS spin fast enough.  Cheap bulk pack is gonna be rough.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 5:48:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You should be gtg but I would use some kind of lube as I believe this improves reliability, especially on a new kit.    CMMG doesn’t recommend stingers in there 22 conversion because the actual brass is slightly longer and maybe higher pressure than HV 22 LR ammo.   The walls of the chamber insert are not as strong as an actual barrel chamber and have been known to crack.

My conversion kits function near 100% with CCI Blazers, Federal bulk 525/550 packs, Armscor HV and Winchester 333/555 ammo.   I did get a box of Winchester 333 ammo which leaded one of my pistol barrels.   I prefer to shoot plated bullets in my AR-15 with 22 conversion as you get lead build up on the flash hider after extensive firing.

I usually use a 22 bore snake on my centerfire AR-15 barrels after shooting rimfire ammo.   I also recommend shooting two or three rounds of centerfire 223 after shooting 1000 rimfire.  I always run a bore snake through my centerfire barrel prior to firing 223 ammo.   I normally run my 22 conversions with Breakfree CLP but others like dry lube.  Regardless what lube you use rimfire ammo is filthy.

I moved to dedicated rimfire upper and lower because I hated all the filth in my 5.56/223 AR-15’s.   I shoot way more 22 LR rimfire than centerfire.   I really like shooting steel plates with the 22 rimfire in AR-15’s.   The 1:9 twist barrels usually get fewer fliers than 1:8 twist but my 1:7 twist barrel has the poorest least consistent accuracy of my 223/5.56 AR-15 barrels.
View Quote

Wait, you’re telling me that CCI stingers can cause long-term wear or damage?? I just bought 1200 rounds of the stuff to run through it! Should I go ahead and try to sell it off and buy a different type of ammo?
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 7:01:28 PM EDT
[#8]
At the store now buying CCI velocitors. Is that stuff good to go?
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 7:11:11 PM EDT
[#9]
I've honestly never needed any of the upgrade stuff, mine runs fine as long as its clean.

Velocitors are fine, they're my prefered woodchuck .22LR (.22LR is marginal on woodchucks).  I probably wouldn't use them through a conversion kit due purely to accuracy/wasting them.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 7:14:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've honestly never needed any of the upgrade stuff, mine runs fine as long as its clean.

Velocitors are fine, they're my prefered woodchuck .22LR (.22LR is marginal on woodchucks).  I probably wouldn't use them through a conversion kit due purely to accuracy/wasting them.
View Quote

I just want to know if they might cause any wear or harm to the conversion kit. After that, I am concerned about performance.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 8:24:58 PM EDT
[#11]
It will run with what you've got. All the parts are replaceable. Just picked up BoreBuddy's Mega Bundle for a dedicated .22 build. I understand firing pins and extractors are failure points, BBs are beefed up. They also have hard rubber buffers for the bolt. The bundle includes the main weight which slows down the bolt and reduces bolt bounce (and, I imagine, would help it absorb those Stingers, etc.). Check out the Borebuddy vids on YT. At reasonable distances, the too fast-twist doesn't seem to be much of an issue, further out, you want the 1:16.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 9:16:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It will run with what you've got. All the parts are replaceable. Just picked up BoreBuddy's Mega Bundle for a dedicated .22 build. I understand firing pins and extractors are failure points, BBs are beefed up. They also have hard rubber buffers for the bolt. The bundle includes the main weight which slows down the bolt and reduces bolt bounce (and, I imagine, would help it absorb those Stingers, etc.). Check out the Borebuddy vids on YT. At reasonable distances, the too fast-twist doesn't seem to be much of an issue, further out, you want the 1:16.
View Quote

How difficult is it to swap out the extractor and firing pin in the CMMG drop-in kit?

Do you think it’s worth the money to do it?
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 9:41:44 AM EDT
[#13]
I looked on CMMG’s web site to see if I could find where they do not recommend CCI Stingers and couldn’t find it.   CMMG customer service is pretty good and should cover you if the chamber insert fails.    The CCI Velociters should be fine and the kit might or might not function with Stingers.   I’ve heard mixed results on Stingers in 22 conversions and should be gtg in dedicated 22 LR AR-15 barrels.

The extractor and spring are retained by a compression pin and is not hard to remove with a punch or blunted thin nail.   The newer CMMG firing pins are retained by a cotter pin but the older bolts used a compression pin just like used on the extractor.

I wouldn’t swap out the firing pin or extractor but I like having spares on hand.   The actual fire control group seem to affect the life of the firing pins.  I got less firing pin life with mil spec single stage triggers compared to two stage triggers, YMMV.   I don’t remember ever replacing an extractor on one of my CMMG 22 bolts.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 10:20:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I looked on CMMG’s web site to see if I could find where they do not recommend CCI Stingers and couldn’t find it.   CMMG customer service is pretty good and should cover you if the chamber insert fails.    The CCI Velociters should be fine and the kit might or might not function with Stingers.   I’ve heard mixed results on Stingers in 22 conversions and should be gtg in dedicated 22 LR AR-15 barrels.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Vascar, I thought the very opposite would be true.  As I understand the problem with Stingers, the brass is longer than it should be, so the chambered round ends up doing damage to the transition from smooth chamber wall to rifling.  

Wouldn't a chamber insert that has no rifling be a great use for Stingers?

Quoted:

I wouldn’t swap out the firing pin or extractor but I like having spares on hand.  

That's sound guidance.  Wait to have a problem before you get very wound up about fixing it.

I did a lot of polishing on my first bolt and ordered heavier springs because I read about reliability problems before I had any reliability problems.  Turns out, I didn't need any of that.

However, having a spare firing pin in your bag will one day save you from wasting a trip to the range.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 11:26:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Shoot it.  If you have a problem, fix it.  Don't go chasing a problem that doesn't exist.  A fast twist barrel will benefit from heavy, slower, ammo.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 12:42:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Instead of just getting the charging handle insert, I got the .22 specific CH so I don't need to mess with changing out the adapter every time.  Also bought the Bore Buddy reliability kit and dry fire adapter.  Also have a few extra springs from CMMG and some Black Dog mags and a mag loader.  Shoots really smooth now but it did take awhile to get the mags and kit broken in.  I still don't load the mags to full capacity.

I'm a believer in spares so am also ordering a spare firing pin and the 3 pack of bolt buffers.

FWIW, I made a storage container out of 1-1/4" PVC pipe and pipe caps.  Keeps the BCG from getting banged up and is big enough that it won't get left behind.  It's also a good place to put your regular BCG when shooting .22.  I've also got a dedicated ammo box with tray for all my .22 mags and various parts and pieces.

ETA:  You might want t try different types of ammo and see what your gun likes best before sinking a ton of money into one type.  Mine is more accurate with Federal Match and CCI AR Tactical, but shoots others well now that it's broken in.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 2:25:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Had a consistent issue w/ my boy's left-eject Stag kit (made by CMMG) having light strikes w/ target FCS.  Two different chassis triggers and a LaRue.  Finally put an ordinary hammer spring on the LaRue, problem solved.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 12:06:40 AM EDT
[#18]
So I did manage to return all 1200 rounds of the stinger ammo back to the retailer where I purchased it, lol. I replaced it all with velociter ammo. That being said, I took the rifle to the range today to see how it fares. I shot 200 rounds through the rifle with nary a hickup. It ran like a swiss watch, as the saying goes. There was ONE failure to fire at approx the 180 round mark. But that was it. I shot 150 rounds of velocitor ammo, with 50 rounds of Aguila Interceptor 40 gr copper plated ammo (the one failure to fire was with the Velocitor). It was surely a fluke. My AR is a colt 6920 upper with the CMMG drop in kit (with the stainless steel ring, not brass), using the Borebuddy buffer plug and CMMG dedicated charging handle. I shot using all 3 included 25 round mags. My rifle was pretty filthy after. I punched the bore after firing it all, then finished it off with about 10 rounds of 5.56.  Spent 2 hours cleaning the receiver and barrel once I got home. All in all, it shot perfectly (almost). I'm quite happy with it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 8:44:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Awesome!  How was the accuracy?
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 11:03:54 AM EDT
[#20]
How was the accuracy?
View Quote

Yes, inquiring minds want to know
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 2:39:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Umm, so about that. So from what I’ve researched, the first 200 rounds or so are necessary in order to break the kit in. I also wanted to test reliability. So I literally mag dumped the entire 200 rounds from the standing position, literally squeezing the trigger as fast as I possibly could, lol. Also, this was an indoor range, and there were no chairs to sit in. So I would have had to find a rest for the foreend on the table, as well as stand in a semi-crouched position in order to fire it from a rest. Which would not have been a stable shooting position. So I didn’t really do any accuracy testing. Now that I’ve confirmed reliability, I can do proper accuracy testing next time I go to the range.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 2:50:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Umm, so about that. So from what I’ve researched, the first 200 rounds or so are necessary in order to break the kit in. I also wanted to test reliability. So I literally mag dumped the entire 200 rounds from the standing position, literally squeezing the trigger as fast as I possibly could, lol. Also, this was an indoor range, and there were no chairs to sit in. So I would have had to find a rest for the foreend on the table, as well as stand in a semi-crouched position in order to fire it from a rest. Which would not have been a stable shooting position. So I didn’t really do any accuracy testing. Now that I’ve confirmed reliability, I can do proper accuracy testing next time I go to the range.
View Quote

I hear ya, OP.
I have shitty aim sometimes, too!
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 3:07:10 PM EDT
[#23]
lol I’m not kidding about how fast I fired them off. There were a lot of inexperienced shooters at this indoor range, and I didn’t want to be there any long than I needed to.

By the way, are there any tools to make loading up the CMMG magazines a less of a pain? The casings pressing up against each other make them wonky to press down on.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 3:11:31 PM EDT
[#24]
People seem to like McFadden Machine Lightnin' Loader
It gets posted in nearly every CMMG .22 thread.
I don't own one yet, but I think I will soon.

edit: you need THIS adapter, too.

edit 2: It's $40 shipped for both directly from McFadden website.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 3:28:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
People seem to like McFadden Machine Lightnin' Loader
It gets posted in nearly every CMMG .22 thread.
I don't own one yet, but I think I will soon.

edit: you need THIS adapter, too.

edit 2: It's $40 shipped for both directly from McFadden website.
View Quote

I see on Amazon there is a third piece that people order along with those two. Do I need that one as well?

https://www.amazon.com/McFadden-Machine-Ultimate-Clip-Loader/dp/B004YF931Y/ref=pd_aw_fbte_img_3/142-6647013-9942335?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B004YF931Y&pd_rd_r=03158ec0-0f2e-4911-bc71-1b086755b015&pd_rd_w=2xN7W&pd_rd_wg=TwzsE&pf_rd_p=16a91b47-29f0-44ad-9cd6-3a1b8bcc4fa6&pf_rd_r=Z2QQA48ZNQE8D027GKMP&psc=1&refRID=Z2QQA48ZNQE8D027GKMP
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 4:49:03 PM EDT
[#26]

No.  That  is for loading Ruger style magazines.

With the Lightnin' loader you can buy different adapters for different mags, but the adapter I linked is for the CMMG mags.
There's another for M&P mags, too, if you end up going that route in the future.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 5:05:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

With the Lightnin' loader you can buy different adapters for different mags, but the adapter I linked is for the CMMG mags.
There's another for M&P mags, too, if you end up going that route in the future.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Nice! I ordered those two. I can’t wait. The most annoying part of shooting the CMMG kit is loading up the magazines.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 6:47:57 PM EDT
[#28]
If anyone else is looking for accessories and spares, Black Dog also has a pretty good selection.  They've also got magazines, but the drums are currently out of stock.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 9:25:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
lol I’m not kidding about how fast I fired them off. There were a lot of inexperienced shooters at this indoor range, and I didn’t want to be there any long than I needed to.

By the way, are there any tools to make loading up the CMMG magazines a less of a pain? The casings pressing up against each other make them wonky to press down on.
View Quote

This is why I like the S&W mags.  They have the slider on the side so all you do is drop the rounds in.  The thumb is thankful
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 10:42:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

This is why I like the S&W mags.  They have the slider on the side so all you do is drop the rounds in.  The thumb is thankful
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ugh, I so wish all 22 LR magazines had those lol. I was thinking about springing for an M&P 15-22 In the future. I’m just not sure if I should get one since I already have the drop in kit. Nothing would be more satisfying than being able to mag dump several hundred rounds through a rifle without having to worry about the gas tube getting gunked up.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 10:44:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
If anyone else is looking for accessories and spares, Black Dog also has a pretty good selection.  They've also got magazines, but the drums are currently out of stock.
View Quote

Do they sell short magazines? I like being able to lay in the prone or on a rest without having my magazine dig into the ground. The CMMG mags are pretty long.

That’s why I always keep a couple 20 round 5.56 mags when I want to do accurate shooting with my AR.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 11:12:14 PM EDT
[#32]
There's a 10 rnd S&W mag.  Thinking I'm gonna convert the boy's left hand AR-22 to the S&W mags now that I've got his La Rue trigger sorted.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 1:02:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Ugh, I so wish all 22 LR magazines had those lol. I was thinking about springing for an M&P 15-22 In the future. I’m just not sure if I should get one since I already have the drop in kit. Nothing would be more satisfying than being able to mag dump several hundred rounds through a rifle without having to worry about the gas tube getting gunked up.
View Quote

I use the boonie packer bma with my dedicated 22LLR uppers, not the 15-22 rifle.  I handled one in the local fun store and it seemed like a toy.  I think you could use them with your drop in, but dedicated upper is the way.  No worries about mucking up a centerfire upper.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 9:07:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Catch22 makes this CLIP ON ADAPTER to use S&W15-22 mags in a standard lower.
They also have STICK ON ADAPTERS that go on the mags and do the same thing.
I haven't tried these yet, but I think I will sometime soon.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top