Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/28/2021 2:18:15 PM EDT
I have a CMMG lower and about three years ago, I had it at the range and I fired most of a magazine and then the trigger would not release on the next round.  I opened it up and everything looked fine so I fiddled with it a bit and it would work again.  Fired a few rounds and it did it again.  Hammer is back but trigger would not release the hammer.  I got home and took the FCG apart and found the hammer pin was broke in half.  I replaced it and the trigger pin with an anti-walk set.  All was fine.  Until yesterday.  Did it again.  Don't know the round count but it wasn't that many.  Maybe a 200-300 rounds.  If that.  

What would cause the hammer pins to break like that?  Never had that issue with Colt, Superior Arms or PSA lowers.  Only the CMMG and the CMMG has a lower round count than my Colt and SA lowers.  What gives?  Oh, and it was a CMMG LPK.  Would it be an issue with the hammer or the lower?
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 3:08:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd start with the easiest thing new hammer, hammer pin.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 4:02:20 PM EDT
[#2]
brittle hammer pin is the most likely culprit
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 4:33:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Stranger that it broke 2 pins. I wouldn't blame the receiver. I'd be wondering if the hammer geometry is off somehow, placing undue pressure on the pin when being cocked. I mean, it could be the pins but because it happened twice, the chances become less.

Where is it breaking?
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 4:45:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I would make sure the hammer could travel down as far as the bottom of the carrier pushes it with out the back of the trigger hitting the underside of the selector and starting to bind. If the shape of the hammer where where it rides on the nose of the trigger pushes the trigger down far enough to bind against the bottom of the selector before it pops up and locks into the notch it might put pressure on the hammer and trigger pins.
There were some hammers sold that I had a problem with binding when I tried them in some lowers with the parts I was using.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 5:23:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Stranger that it broke 2 pins. I wouldn't blame the receiver. I'd be wondering if the hammer geometry is off somehow, placing undue pressure on the pin when being cocked. I mean, it could be the pins but because it happened twice, the chances become less.

Where is it breaking?
View Quote

Pretty much right in the middle.

If it was one pin I might blame the pin. But two, chances are it's something else. I'll try a different hammer.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 5:24:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I would make sure the hammer could travel down as far as the bottom of the carrier pushes it with out the back of the trigger hitting the underside of the selector and starting to bind. If the shape of the hammer where where it rides on the nose of the trigger pushes the trigger down far enough to bind against the bottom of the selector before it pops up and locks into the notch it might put pressure on the hammer and trigger pins.
There were some hammers sold that I had a problem with binding when I tried them in some lowers with the parts I was using.. If I can find one of the ones I had I will post a pic.

Here are three hammers. Two are normal no problem and one of the ones that I had binding issues with.  I don't think it is hard to guess which one gave me a problem and this pic is after I ground it down enough to stop it from binding in the lowers I tried it in. It was the middle one.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1642/hammers1_JPG-1845473.JPG
View Quote

I'm wondering if that's what's happening. I'll get a different hammer and swap it out and see if it happens again.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 5:46:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 8:28:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I'm wondering if that's what's happening. I'll get a different hammer and swap it out and see if it happens again.
View Quote

I honestly doubt that would be the cause because it is so rare. Binding I have seen was not quite as rare to happen with some parts if the hammer is cocked and with the safety on and the carrier is racked. Seen that more than once. Most broken hammer pin post I have seen over the years were on odd caliber guns.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 9:25:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 10:35:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 11:08:16 PM EDT
[#11]
In this pic, it looks to me that the ejection port side of the upper receiver appears to be thinner in width as compared to the other side.  This may or may not be the cause, but may be a possible contributing factor of what might be a couple of things combined (What is termed as stacking).  

Attachment Attached File

It may be the angle of the camera, but something doesn't appear correct on the bottom of the bolt carrier, specifically at the back area where the hammer strikes the firing pin and the carrier makes contact with the hammer as the carrier travels rearward to recock the hammer.  The carrier machining of this area almost looks like it opens up for width getting wider as you go from the back towards the front, and where the back of the firing pin would be it almost looks like it isn't machined at 90 degrees sideways from the sides of the bolt carrier, if that is the case where it is slightly diagonal then this may also have something to do with what is happening.

CY6
Greg Sullivan "Sully"
SLR15 Rifles
TheDefensiveEdge.com
(763) 712-0123
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 12:13:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Maybe neither set of pins were hardened correctly.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 8:29:06 PM EDT
[#13]
That next to last pic the hammer looks a tad off center, front is more towards the right side by a tad.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 9:43:07 PM EDT
[#14]
I was thinking that but then thought the whole receiver seemed tilted that way and that it might be a prospective thing.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 1:53:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 5:45:52 PM EDT
[#16]
I will try a different FCG and see what happens.  Thanks for the insight fellas!
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 6:03:39 PM EDT
[#17]
If I bet, I'd bet that the pins were NG, did both pins come from the same mfg?  
To be safe I'd change out the entire FCG with one from another mfg.

While it's not common today, years back there were many defective FCG parts floating around, there was one case here where a Colt rep talked about an entire batch of FCG parts being rejected, next thing there were a bunch of members complaining about failed hammers & triggers on another very popular brand rifle at the time.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 9:48:35 PM EDT
[#18]
The first one came from a CMMG LPK.  I don't remember where I got the second one.  Fun show I think.  I'm going to swap the whole thing out and see what happens with it.  Or, I'll sell the whole dang rifle and get another.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 3:18:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 10:05:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Again, take a look at the photo I posted of his, since not only is hammer tab crashing much harder to the tail of the disco, but is also contacting the back round edge of the disco on over cock that is pushing the hammer back against the trigger pin as well.

So hammer pins is being flexed in two different directions at the same time as the hammer tail slams into the disco at  over cock (over just the tail of the disco under spring tension working as a buffer), and why the hammer pins are snapping.
View Quote

@Dano523  Do you think the upper might be overgassed and that would make it come back that hard?  I just thought of that but don't know if it would be a factor.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 9:29:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 12:52:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Hmm.  Ok, thanks.  Still haven't gotten another FCG yet but I will soon hopefully.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top