Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2021 7:47:03 PM EDT
I picked this AS kit up off the EE.  I couldnt get it to cycle properly took the lower apart and saw one of the ears that lock into the carrier broke off.  It was laying in the lower receiver.

Question, did I somehow do this wrong?  It all slipped into the upper correctly, no issues, nothing was hanging or binding that I could tell.
I had it installed with the forward assist (antibounce?) canoe shaped part.  Was I supposed to not use them both at once?  Kind of at a loss why it broke so fast, it could have broke first round even.

Dry firing, the trip seemed to be working correctly, but when installed I couldn't get a second round out of it.

What did I do wrong?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 9:17:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Had the pieces put together like this??

Attachment Attached File

10k plus of full auto and have not broken a trip. The anti bounce weight is what I break.
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 9:51:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Was the selector in the SAFE or SEMI position when you closed the upper to the lower?  Having the selector in the AUTO position will put the flange that interfaces to the auto sear out of position.  Not having the selector in the SAFE or SEMI position might have put the interface flange out of position so that the sear trip tab was broken off.

FWIW, I have not had any breakage of a sear trip or an ABW with probably over 8K of rounds.  And for the last seven months I've mostly used my own D.I.Y., $0.80 each ABWs except for a few times that I used the CMMG and JAC ABWs as comparisons for ROF tests; so I don't ever expect to break an ABW.

Disclaimer:  I have no affiliation with or financial interest in any vendor or manufacturer; and I am not a competitive shooter or a blogger who receives any form of compensation for endorsements or favorable public or private comments.  Use of vendor and/or product brand names, if any, is for informational purposes only.

Best of luck.
MHO, YMMV, etc.  Be well.

Edited after I relooked at the OP's photo. And again to correct nomenclature error.
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 9:57:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I thought it was missing at first. Can see it reflecting the table. Has to be there to prop it up at that angle.
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 10:03:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I thought it was missing at first. Can see it reflecting the table. Has to be there to prop it up at that angle.
View Quote

Yeah, I've edited my post.
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 10:23:47 PM EDT
[#5]
On a positive note. It should work just fine with one tab on the back end.
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 10:53:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't want to start a fight; but it just looks like a cheap stamped part broke.
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 11:04:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Stamped for sure, but that design has enabled untold thousands of full auto, binary, and now forced reset goodness.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 5:28:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Had the pieces put together like this??

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/273731/tmp_jpg-2121947.JPG

10k plus of full auto and have not broken a trip. The anti bounce weight is what I break.
View Quote

Yep just like that.

I send an email to cmmg idk if there's anything else to glean from this or if it just broke.

Link Posted: 10/8/2021 1:30:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Got ahold of CMMG today, they don't know what happened but are sending me a replacement for free.

So yay.
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 8:50:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Got ahold of CMMG today, they don't know what happened but are sending me a replacement for free.

So yay.
View Quote

Glad to hear it's working out for you.

I got my trip and weight kit when they first started selling them years ago and have been lucky in that it's run since day one in my dedicated .22lr upper on my M16 lower for thousands of FA rounds.

It's one of my favorites to shoot and I always bring it along when teaching new shooters how to use an AR. I've never heard "no" when, after getting them use to shooting semi, I ask if they want to shoot a machine gun. They say yes and I show them how to rotate the selector another 90 degrees and let them go through a 50rd drum in bursts
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 5:45:29 PM EDT
[#11]
OK so I got my replacement AS trip from CMMG in good time.  I'm having mixed results though.

At first, I was getting no second round fired.  Then I added a buffer plug and that helped.  I started to get maybe 20% second round fired but that was it.

So then I removed some of the strike face of the firing pin.  This helped a bunch and I got up to about 50% second round fired sometimes with 3 or 4 rounds consecutive.  I started to look at my follow up rounds and noticed they still had light rim strikes, there's a picture below.

I then added some washers behind the return spring of the bolt, which I think helped a bit too.  Thing is its not reliable and fails to constantly run for more than 2 or 3 rounds.

I'm going back to the light rim strikes, I think this is the issue.  It might be a bolt bounce thing too.  I'm running the CMMG forward assist weight but it might not be enough for me.  Anyone been down this path can give me some advice?

Attachment Attached File

Two different rounds shown CCI mini mags and Rem standard velocity.  Both show identical results.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 6:25:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Does it run as fast as you can squeeze the trigger in semi?

I have never played with a FRT but when trying to get them running in auto bolt bounce can be a bitch to solve.  My first bolt barrel combo worked issue free. Built a short one after.   Would not run until I did the ball detent mod.  

You made need to look at the adjustable bore buddy weight to get it dialed in.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 6:39:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Does it run as fast as you can squeeze the trigger in semi?

I have never played with a FRT but when trying to get them running in auto bolt bounce can be a bitch to solve.  My first bolt barrel combo worked issue free. Built a short one after.   Would not run until I did the ball detent mod.  

You made need to look at the adjustable bore buddy weight to get it dialed in.
View Quote

1. IDK about semi, thats harder than it sounds...

2. what is the ball detent mod.

3. the bore buddy suggestion did come up in a utube video I saw, but IIRC they're like +100$  (keep throwing money at this, but I'll do it if its a magic bulltet).
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 7:52:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Seems to be still getting bolt bounce.  Might be due to the ABW dragging.  Does the CMMG ABW "rattle" freely in the assembly mounted in the upper?  The CMMG ABW has feet on the bottom to accommodate different size uppers. On one CMMG ABW, I had to grind the feet down to the flat bottom edge to get free movement.  I also smooth off the bottom, outer edge of the scallops on the right side to reduce or eliminate potential drag, especially if the upper has forward assist. I'm concerned that the scallops might drag at the forward assist hole into the receiver

Disclaimer:  I have no affiliation with or financial interest in any vendor or manufacturer; and I am not a competitive shooter or a blogger who receives any form of compensation for endorsements or favorable public or private comments.  Use of vendor and/or product brand names, if any, is for informational purposes only.

Best of luck.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 7:59:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Seems to be still getting bolt bounce.  Might be due to the ABW dragging.  Does the CMMG ABW "rattle" freely in the assembly mounted in the upper?  The CMMG ABW has feet on the bottom to accommodate different size uppers. On one CMMG ABW, I had to grind the feet down to the flat bottom edge to get free movement.  I also smooth off the bottom, outer edge of the scallops on the right side to reduce or eliminate potential drag, especially if the upper has forward assist. I'm concerned that the scallops might drag at the forward assist hole into the receiver

Best of luck.
View Quote

Since you mentioned it, I do think the ABW hangs sometimes.  I'm not even entirely sure how its supposed to work.  Its not physically coupled to the bolt other than its wedged in between the back of the bolt and the lip of the return spring feature.  I notice that sometimes when the bolt returns, and or if I cycle the bolt by hand, the weight is not touching the rear of the bolt.

It does seem like I have a bounce issue.

Link Posted: 10/16/2021 8:03:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

2. what is the ball detent mod.

View Quote

RE 2: The so-called 'ball-detent mod' is described near the bottom at this link:
http://bazookabrothers.com/pages/technical+assistance/3

Best of luck.

Link Posted: 10/16/2021 8:56:54 PM EDT
[#17]
If after reading the description you want to try that I will repost the pics.  Have them saved.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 9:16:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If after reading the description you want to try that I will repost the pics.  Have them saved.
View Quote

Awesome thanks, I wasn't able to find them online but the instructions seem well written
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 9:38:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 10:41:17 PM EDT
[#21]
I have yet to hear of any .22 FRT users try the ball detent mod, but it definitely looks it could be a worthwhile experiment.

Otherwise, Bore Buddy has an adjustable weight that essentially is a required part since it needs to be tuned to a specific weight that is much heavier than CMMG's bolt weight depending on ammo, barrel length, suppressor, etc.

Bore Buddy actually just released a new adjustable weight option that has a lighter aluminium body verses the heavier stainless steel body so which weight you want depends on your setup.

What is your barrel length, primary ammo type, and do you shoot suppressed? These are all important factors to get the correct weight for running the FRT in .22

Also, here's my spreadsheet of parts lists from successful. 22 FRT builds:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18LoQ3-tV3gtSNURjyPtqmbc3S23pfA5PSwMuz3ByWEk/edit?usp=drivesdk
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 10:05:24 AM EDT
[#22]
As far as the conventional Atchisson pattern ABW goes, the J.A. Ciener Corp. (JAC) has been selling them for over 28 years.  And, while I've used the CMMG design, the JAC ABW had been my preferred ABW as it worked with no fitting and weighs an ounce (in contrast to the CMMG ABW that weighs 3/4th ounce).  A while ago, the JAC shipping and handling cost increase made their ABW less attractive which prompted me to investigate alternatives.  That led me to the one ounce, D.I. Y., chrome steel ABWs which cost $1.60 for a pair and were the subject of a prior thread.

Best of luck.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 1:25:22 PM EDT
[#23]
The Stainless Bore Buddy Adjustable Weight allows you adjust between 1.3oz - 2.8oz, and their new Aluminium Adjustable Weight let's you adjust between 0.6oz - 2.0oz, both of these weights also have a gap where the weights go for them to slide back and forth for a deadblow effect to help further reduce bolt bounce. Many .22 FRT users with the stainless version require the full 2.8oz weight to get it running.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top