Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2021 5:53:45 PM EDT
It appears they have a reputation for Firing pin breaks.

It's a parkerized one. Probably around the time CMMG started making them. It has always had reliability issues.

I just got frustrated with it and stuck it on a shelf. Well I got it out today for the first time in years.

Click, Click, no primer strike Mark's?

Upon inspection nothing protrudes out the FP Channel.  I am wondering if it has been broke all along and just half assed working when I bought it.

I had a Arther Center unit. It was reliable as hell.

Anyway. Is there a fix for this? Like A better firing pin? Titanium?

UPDATE..................UPDATE................UPDATE

I contacted CMMG and told them I had one of their first conversion kits. I asked if there was a upgraded firing pin. As I only had about 1000 rounds through it, and have had reliability problems from day one with it.

Bryan offered, if I cover sending it to him. He would replace it with a new one as I have had reliability issues with it.

After some trouble and two days on his end getting a Return Authorisation Emailed to me. I sent it to him 08-20-2021 and got the new one back DELIVERED 09/13/2021 2:06 PM

A Shiny new Stainless Steel one. I fired it bone dry for two mags of CCI Standard Velocity in a old Model 1 sales 7.5" upper. In a Palmetto State Armory pistol enhanced trigger lower.

I had some issues with the trigger sticking and not wanting to resetting in the lower. After about the first 10 rounds or so. Half way through the second mag I had to force reset the trigger with a screwdriver as it had stuck like the spring was installed upside down or something.

These were issues were with the lower, and they were resolved after lubing all friction points in the lower including hammers face and the kit rails with millitec grease. Since then it has ran two consecutive mags of CCI Standard  Velocity smoothly and flawlessly.

Big thanks to Bryan  and CMMG for standing behind their product and taking care of me.

Link Posted: 8/9/2021 10:02:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I replaced my broken pin with one from Bore Buddy... I understand that the newer CMMG pins have a radius machined in the step down forward part of the pin, but that there is a dimensional difference between the older A kits and the newer stainless B kits... CMMG replaced my older kit, with excellent warranty service... the Bore Buddy has a cone shaped hammer strike end to better center the strike in line with the pin, and the nose of the  pin is not a typical  wedge, but a flat circular nose that strikes just below the rim, so that it does not need to indent both layers of brass where the rim is formed... really strikes the cartridge rim hard
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 10:33:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Many of the rimfire kits similar to the Ceiner design tend to snap fireing pins . Sometimes after the pin snaps you still get a level of function as all the busted parts smack the next one in line and it works somewhat . I have found several guys at the club trying to get their unit to run better that didn't realise their pin was busted .

I seem to get better life when I polish the rough parkerised finish off the pin before installation.

Seems every time I am looking for a new pin the last place I got some is shut down or out of stock .

I really enjoy the drop in units so I have several units and some spare fireing pins in stock.

One time I made my own pin out of a standard ar15 pin , turning it down useing a drill press as a mini lath . It took a lot of fussing around and fitting to get it to function but it got me running. I believe I got pretty long life out of that pin
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 11:11:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Right to Bear is a good source for AR-15 22 LR parts.   They have bore buddy firing pin in stock or you can order directly from Bore Buddy.   RTB is out of stock on CMMG firing pins.  You can call CMMG and see if their warranty will replace your firing pin.   I always try to keep at least one spare firing pin for my 22 LR AR-15’s.   You can also order firing pins directly from CMMG.

https://borebuddy.com/product-category/22lr/

https://www.righttobear.com/Bore-Buddy-22-LR-AR-Premium-Firing-Pin-p/bb-efp.htm
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 11:51:50 AM EDT
[#4]
+1 on the Bore Buddy reliability kit.  Includes hardened firing pin, extractor, weight, and other components.  Bolt bounce, failure to extract, and jamming problems are eliminated.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 2:58:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
+1 on the Bore Buddy reliability kit.  Includes hardened firing pin, extractor, weight, and other components.  Bolt bounce, failure to extract, and jamming problems are eliminated.
View Quote

This is what I did. I was looking at Taccom vs Borebuddy. Oy went with Borebuddy because it's a circular pin strike. I went with Taccom's recoil spring, which is supposed to help with reliability.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 3:10:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It appears they have a reputation for Firing pin breaks....
Anyway. Is there a fix for this? ...
View Quote

Anecdotally, the MTBF appears to be around 5K rounds fired.  The CMMG firing pin is sized so that it does not hit the chamber lip. Thus, dry firing the unit should not damage the firing pin tip or the chamber lip as is the case with some other .22 applications.

To help ensure as long a life as possible, it is generally recommended that the entire unit, including the firing pin and firing pin channel, be cleaned at least every 500 rounds fired and more often when dirty ammo is used.  Frequent cleaning may also aid operational reliability.

Disclaimer:  I have no affiliation with or financial interest in any vendor or manufacturer; and I am not a competitive shooter or a blogger who receives any form of compensation for endorsements or favorable public or private comments.  Use of vendor and/or product brand names, if any, is for informational purposes only.

Best of luck.
MHO, YMMV, etc.  Be well.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 7:07:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Update.

I went ahead and Emailed CMMG. I got an email back from Bryan B.- Technical Support Coordinator/Supervisor.

He has offered to replace the entire unit with a new one.

"Unfortunately, most of the parts int eh new kits aren’t compatible with the older kits.  That being said, if you’re ok with covering the cost of shipping (whatever you’re charged to drop it off and send to us), I’d be happy to swap that out for a brand new kit."

I am waiting for them to send me an Authorization number and instructions.

That is excellent customer service.  I will let you all know how it goes.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 8:12:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That is excellent customer service.  I will let you all know how it goes.
View Quote

That new BCG is a big step up.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 10:45:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a CMMG complete AR-22. I've broken one firing pin after thousands and thousands rounds. So no, it's not uncommon.
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 10:29:35 AM EDT
[#10]
I have about 3k through mine and am on my 3rd firing pin. Might have to try the borebuddy.
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 11:00:51 PM EDT
[#11]
I have ordered a Boonie Packer better mag adapter that utilizes the S&W 15-22 Mags and enables fully functioning last round bolt hold open.

In hopes that the firing pin will last longer from not getting dry fired after every last round. If nothing else it will be very nice for mag changes.

After ordering the boonie packer. I noticed that the S&W 15-22 mags have gone up to about $25 plus shipping and tax. WTF?

Anyone know who has the best to the door price on them?
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 11:09:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Wow.  Impressive service from CMMG.

Link Posted: 10/2/2021 8:23:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Just picked up a new RTB barrel and bolt which everyone says are made by CMMG. I used to have a CMMG drop in conversion about 10 years ago, it was phosphated and I put a ton of rounds through it with no breakages. Ended up selling it because I wanted a dedicated 22lr upper and it only took 10 years to actually do it. These new stainless bolts are really nice, hoping to test it out this weekend.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top