BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/30/2019 4:28:46 PM EDT
After looking for reviews over the last year and finding not much at all that wasn't some form of advertising, I decided to get one.  I ordinarily use iron sights or low magnification scopes.  I dislike red dots -- my distance vision isn't great and I have astigmatism.

You can tell from online and video reviews that the reticle follows the 3moa dot in a 60-ish moa broken circle theme.  Attributes I could not have determined from written specs include:

1.  The bases are proprietary, so your thoughts of using your favorite T1 mount will not pan out.  However, the included mounts, one low and one high, seem very good, by which I mean they've not shaken loose.
2.  At 25 and 50 yards, I find no parallax.  I haven't had it to the 100.
3.  The eye box is impressive.  From the end of my buttstock in an A1 position until I am about to hit the scope body with my eyeglass lense, I get a shadow free image.  If I hold the rifle like a pistol with my arm straight out, I get shadowing, but the reticle is clear.
4.  Even though the scope body is only a couple of inches long, the glass is very much recessed into the scope body.  It doesn't come with lense covers.
5.  The ocular is small at 16mm (13mm?).  I don't find this objectionable, but I don't get the disappearing scope body that some scopes provide.
6.  I was able to adjust the ocular to get a clear reticle and picture with a full sized image, but I had to be wearing my full correction-for-nearsightedness glasses to get that.  With my reading glasses on, getting the target and reticle clear made the target less than 1x.

If these were less expensive, I might get a couple more.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 8:13:03 PM EDT
[#1]
This was the product that interested me the most out of SHOT Show 2017 (?) and yet there are barely any reviews and they seem hard to find in terms of purchasing one. Outside the goofy name, I like the form factor. Got any pics to share?
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 9:35:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you for posting this report!
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 9:53:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Certainly.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This was the product that interested me the most out of SHOT Show 2017 (?) and yet there are barely any reviews and they seem hard to find in terms of purchasing one. Outside the goofy name, I like the form factor. Got any pics to share?
View Quote
I'm not good at taking or posting pictures, but they wouldn't show anything that wouldn't be shown in a google image search.

I'm not sure that there are any bona fide reviews.  704 Tactical and the Heart of Texas videos, as well as the written reviews all seem like thinly concealed PR, which is frustrating when trying to figure out what a product really offers.

I can't figure out why these aren't raved about by an independent evaluator.  Maybe the problem is that it is smaller and less complex than the Cyclops (which I also think is neat) but has a list price 20% higher.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 3:28:28 PM EDT
[#4]
The reticle is etched right?
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 7:50:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Right.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 8:06:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I looked hard at one of these, but like you, could not find what seemed to be an unbiased review.

For whatever reason, it just hasn't caught on.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 10:33:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Any chance of a reticle photo?
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 7:48:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
The reticle is fairly represented at 2:35 and 6:20 in this video:

Bushnell Lil P Review - A Miniature Prism Optic that Rocks!
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 10:59:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 3:47:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Photo.

Because images like that seem slightly off scale with the subtensions listed in the online manual.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 7:08:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Since nobody wants to post actual pictures (Not aimed at OP, but in general. I can't find any and it's annoying. Cmon Bushnell)

Link Posted: 1/2/2020 7:20:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Photo.

Because images like that seem slightly off scale with the subtensions listed in the online manual.
View Quote
That's why I think the video was more fairly representative.  Unfortunately, for a photo or video to be really informative, it needs to disclose how close the camera is to the scope as well as how far the scope is from the target.  No one does that.

The center dot is 3moa, which sounds huge.  In practice it's quite a bit smaller and easier to use accurately than a 3moa red dot that may bloom once turned up.  That dot sits inside a two inch circle at 50 yards, and that works for what I do.

I initially thought the perimeter circle would be useless, but for a quick shot, it works to put the target in the middle of the circle rather than focus on the dot.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 7:40:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I can't find any and it's annoying. Cmon Bushnell
View Quote
It's as if Bushnell is trying to keep it a secret.  I found one image of the reticle on a foreign site.

Link Posted: 1/2/2020 9:28:00 PM EDT
[#14]
These look really interesting for what they are.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 9:50:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Bushnell kinda failed with the proprietary mounting system.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 11:15:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Zuki, you think an eye relief of 10" is still quite usable? Body occlusion aside.

My Dad's been considering scout scoping his clip fed M70 match rifle. Positive magnification would be nice, but this looks like it just needs a little Weaver base on the front receiver ring. Much simpler than turning down the barrel and D+Ting a Ruger Gunsite base on. Plus the gun is 14lbs centered on the support hand anyway.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 8:58:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Zuki, you think an eye relief of 10" is still quite usable? Body occlusion aside.

My Dad's been considering scout scoping his clip fed M70 match rifle. Positive magnification would be nice, but this looks like it just needs a little Weaver base on the front receiver ring. Much simpler than turning down the barrel and D+Ting a Ruger Gunsite base on. Plus the gun is 14lbs centered on the support hand anyway.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I broke out the tape measure.  I start getting shadowing around the edges at a full foot.  Is it usable?  Yes.  Is it ideal?  I don't think so.  The way I have the diopter adjusted (my right eye prescription is a -3.00) , I get a good 1x image at four or five inches, but at a foot the image is slightly reduced.  The subtensions seem constant, but who wants a reduced image?

The explanation for this reduction is set forth by Dark Lord of Optics:

Where 1x gets a little more complicated is when you start thinking about perspective. The riflescopes is looking at the world from the perspective of where the objective of the riflescope is which is a bit further forward than where your eye is. The magnification may be true 1x, but the image you get through a riflescope has a different perspective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tD_2q1gLT38&list=PLxiTpDAl-cYErT8fI1ybtYf8AXwkhO5__&index=9

ILya
www.darklordofoptics.com
Obviously, I don't know your father's situation optically, but for me this prism would not be my first choice for a scout scope on an M70.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 9:39:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Anyone know what the diopter adjustment range of the Lil-P is? Can't find seem to find it anywhere. Thx!...

Tomac
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 1:16:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 11:55:28 PM EDT
[#20]
On sale for 149.99 - 10% (P200116) = $134.99 + shipping at Natchez.  Is Natchez an okay retailer?

https://www.natchezss.com/bushnell-tac-optics-lil-p-prism-sight-blk-circle-dot-bdc-hi-rise-5l.html?avad=48247_b18eb46d9&utm_source=AvantLink&utm_medium=35987&utm_campaign=48247-NA
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 3:52:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
On sale for 149.99 - 10% (P200116) = $134.99 + shipping at Natchez.  Is Natchez an okay retailer?

https://www.natchezss.com/bushnell-tac-optics-lil-p-prism-sight-blk-circle-dot-bdc-hi-rise-5l.html?avad=48247_b18eb46d9&utm_source=AvantLink&utm_medium=35987&utm_campaign=48247-NA
View Quote
I've done business with Natchez many times. They have a great reputation.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 4:49:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Bushnell Lil P link

Thanks, didn't know these were out there.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 6:05:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
For that price its worth a try.  I have a few ARs with no optics
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 9:40:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 9:55:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
at that price, and with the lack of availability and promotion, I'm guessing that they are discontinuing them.
View Quote
If this works as I expect, I will need 3 more.

Last time I had my Aimpoint out, I had to center all of the dots and say a hail mary.  I still had a decent group, but I was not liking it.  I will be having some red dots on the EE soon.....

I ordered one a minute ago.  I will report back.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 10:06:21 PM EDT
[#26]
$150 is a great price, right up there with the Primary Arms sales of their 2.5x prismatic for $125-ish.

I've ordered from Natchez for decades.  They do periodically have amazing prices on discontinued items.  Recently they had Weaver 1-3x20 scopes at about a third off.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 11:10:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
at that price, and with the lack of availability and promotion, I'm guessing that they are discontinuing them.
View Quote
It's their own fault for not marketing it better/not even showing a reticle on the website. Also the name.

Big D and Lol P... Lol
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 1:42:54 AM EDT
[#28]
Hoping to hear reviews on these. Been eyeing one and for the price, it'd be a perfect addition to finish off my lightweight build. Probably work better than the 507c I've been looking at
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 3:47:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Bushnell specs say obj diameter is 11mm, and exit pupil is 13mm.  I don't see any mention of 16mm.  Just for the sake of comparison, the Aimpoint T2 says clear aperture of 18mm.  Holosun 503GU says window size of 20mm.  probably apples to oranges.

https://www.bushnell.com/products/red-dots/tac-optics/tac-optics-red-dot-lil-p-prism-sight/
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 9:11:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Bushnell specs say obj diameter is 11mm, and exit pupil is 13mm.  I don't see any mention of 16mm.  Just for the sake of comparison, the Aimpoint T2 says clear aperture of 18mm.  Holosun 503GU says window size of 20mm.  probably apples to oranges.

https://www.bushnell.com/products/red-dots/tac-optics/tac-optics-red-dot-lil-p-prism-sight/
View Quote
I'm sure I picked up 16mm for the ocular from an early review, but the specs up now do reflect 13mm for the exit pupil, which should match the ocular lense for a 1x.

I can't measure the lenses; they are substantially recessed in from the housing.  Looking at them with a ruler out at the housing the objective lense looks barely more than 3/8 of an inch and the ocular looks to be almost 3/4.  When one first gets this in hand, the ocular lense looks about right for the size of the housing; the objective lense looks bizarrely small.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 11:36:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Does the eyebox appear to be more restrictive than other 1x prisms?
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 11:38:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Does it bother you in any way that the sight is so small? I am about to pull the trigger on it, and want to make sure I'm buying the right thing (see my thread on red dot/astigmatism).
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 3:40:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Ok, got it in my cart. If there are problems with this optic, speak now or forever hold your peace.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 3:44:55 PM EDT
[#34]
I ordered one for a AR pistol build. It's a simple build to throw in my camping teardrop trailer. I have astigmatism so do much better with prism sights rather than red dots, plus I like a reticle that's more than a simple dot. Seems like a good bargain at that price....
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 5:09:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Does it bother you in any way that the sight is so small? I am about to pull the trigger on it, and want to make sure I'm buying the right thing (see my thread on red dot/astigmatism).
View Quote
I don't find the sight small at all.  I find it easy to use and end up focusing on a very small area within the available view, just as I would with a 30mm scope with an excellent eyebox.

I can use a red dot, but I don't like them.  I have two of these.  If you like them as much as I do, you'll consider that $150 a deal.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 5:16:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Does the eyebox appear to be more restrictive than other 1x prisms?
View Quote
My only other experience with a 1x is the old Leupolds, and less than a minute with a Vortex at Cabelas.

The view on the Bushnell is smaller because the ocular is smaller.  The eye relief range is better than the Leupold.

If you put this on an AR with an A2 stock, and your cheek is near any point along the stock, you should get a full image.  By the time my cheek is out by the butt, I can tell that the image is less than 1x and the black edge of the image doesn't have a sharp black border because shadow is starting to encroach.

I do not consider that restrictive, but I am a refugee from iron sights.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 7:06:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I don't find the sight small at all.  I find it easy to use and end up focusing on a very small area within the available view, just as I would with a 30mm scope with an excellent eyebox.

I can use a red dot, but I don't like them.  I have two of these.  If you like them as much as I do, you'll consider that $150 a deal.
View Quote
@zukiphile

Thank you for your advice. The sight is ordered. PA red dot will sadly go back.
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 10:18:54 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Thank you for your advice. The sight is ordered.
View Quote
You are welcome.

I'd be interested in reading your impressions, and learning whether I'm nuts or just a niche customer, or whether this sight just wasn't marketed sufficiently by Bushnell.
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 10:58:43 AM EDT
[#39]
I am in the same boat as you - always have used iron sights. This is my first foray into optics.
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 4:26:19 PM EDT
[#40]
I ordered one to go on a little CMMG Banshee 45. It should be a nice match and less than $150 shipped is sweet as well.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 7:58:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Just got mine a few minutes ago.  This thing is tiny and the lenses are tiny.  I like it, but I can see why it isn't too popular.  It is odd that the objective is smaller than the exit/eye lens.

I like the reticle and the fact it can be seen without being turned on.

I have some cheapo flip up BUIS and they magically cowitnessed with this optic. UTG MNT-957 and MNT-757.

I put it on an SBR 45ACP PCR and plan to test it this weekend.

I have had a TRS-26 in my wishlist for quite a while, but that isn't a prism.  If these two combined features............
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 8:24:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 8:27:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 8:39:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Hello guys,

I ordered one of these from  Natchezzes and just wanted to give a little review on it. For starters, it is TINY. I have included pics next to a Bushnell TRS 25, Burris 1x prism and a Trijicon TA11. The pics say it all as far as size is concerned. The glass is pretty darn clear and the image is super sharp. The diopter made it easy to adjust to my eyes and is stiff enough that it will never move. The red illumination is daylight bright and the adjustment buttons are stiff. One setting is so low that it MAY work with night vision. As far as looking thought the sight is concerned, if you are a FOV junkie, this IS NOT THE OPTIC FOR YOU. Now with that said, if you shoot with both eyes open, this is of no concern. The reticle jumps out at you and getting on target is fast. The body of the sight does not disappear like some on the market, but you have peripheral vision all around. The FOV is actually pretty good for the size. It reminds me of a TA33 without the looking through a straw effect. I also put my Aimpoint c 3x magnifier behind it and it is super sharp with the image magnified or unmagnified.  All in all, this little guy is a steal at the $144 I paid for it and another is on the way.

Link Posted: 1/24/2020 9:29:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 9:24:24 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Hello guys,

I ordered one of these from  Natchezzes and just wanted to give a little review on it.
View Quote
Outstanding.  I love the picture of the Bushnell next to the Trijicon.

This thread now has more information about the Bushnell than the entire rest of the internet combined.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 9:36:16 AM EDT
[#47]
Got mine,

I like the reticle, illumination and clarity.  Foe me the optic works best mounted to the rear on a AR upper.  It's so small and with it placement its looks 'a bit weird' on an AR

It will make a nice optic on a small PCC.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 10:17:26 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 12:56:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
The included AR mount is high enough to clear a front sight post, but that makes it a little too high for an optics only setup. I used the low factory mount and a simple short YHM riser and it's just right
View Quote
I have it both ways.  One is a the short base on a UTG QD riser that may be closer to 3/5 of an inch.  That seems close to the 1.4" centerline height that permits a cheek weld for me.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 3:59:00 PM EDT
[#50]
What's the low mount height?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top