Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2018 9:45:53 PM EDT
I can't thank the endless picture threads on here for the inspiration and mild addiction.  I used to think, "whats the big deal with AR's?" but now I get it after purchasing a Sig P226 & spending time at the range.

This will be my first build rifle will be mainly for range fun (I believe my range is 200 yards max) shooting at the farm with friends, coyote hunting (2-3x per year), and maybe someday I’ll find a range that does drills.

Let me know what you think of my parts list and/or if you have suggestions on other better value parts. I’d like to be able to shoot 5.56 and 2.23. Trying to figure out my color combo too - I like the idea of FDE/Black, OD/Black, or even Grey/Black.

I’m willing to budget around $1500 into the rifle and then I’ll work on optics later. I figure I should learn to shoot with iron sites or I can borrow a scope off my .17 hmr or muzzle loader. I still have my desired optics options below.

Am I on the right path or are there better values out there?  I live near Brownells and travel by there for work frequently.

Lower:
- Aero M4AE1 stripped lower FDE
- LPK - CMMG or Red barn Armory??
- Trigger - ALG ACT or Hiperfire Eclipse LaRue MBT-2S (on sale for 99.99)
- BCMGUNFIGHTER Grip - Mod 3
- Brownells or Magpul AR-15 CTR STOCK ASSY COLLAPSIBLE MIL-SPEC Black B5 SOPMOD Stock

Upper:
- Ballistics advantage 16” .223 Wylde SPR Stainless Midlength (Is this a decent barrel 14.5/16/18?) LaRue PredatAR or STEALTH
- Aero Precision Upper (threaded) This is the correct one to get, right?
- Aero Precision Gas block + tube
- Midwest Industries Lightweight M Lok FDE handguard 12”
- Toolcraft BCG Black Nitride AR15/M16 (tomstactical.com)
- Bravo Company BCMGunfighter Charging handle medium
- Magpul Gen 2 BUIS
- What muzzle device or suppressor do you recommend?

Optics:
- Vortex Canteliever mount
- Vortex Strikefire II
- Vortex Viper PST 1-4x24
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 11:49:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Geissele and LaRue are my preferred triggers.

Ballistic Advantage makes good barrels, but a stainless SPR profile might not be best for a general purpose rifle, like you describe.  I'm a Faxon fan, Gunner series and pencil.  LaRue is a good option too, but there are many others.

Check out TTAG muzzle device shoot out videos on YouTube.

I have no experience with Vortex.

Remainder of your list looks good.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 12:03:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Geissele and LaRue are my preferred triggers.

Ballistic Advantage makes good barrels, but a stainless SPR profile might not be best for a general purpose rifle, like you describe.  I'm a Faxon fan, Gunner series and pencil.  LaRue is a good option too, but there are many others.
View Quote
Just realized my barrel choice was going to be silver.  I think I'd like to find something black.  I'll take a look Faxon and LaRue.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 12:11:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Geissele and Larue make my favorite 2 stage, but ALG makes my favorite single stage. If someone swapped all of my Geissele SSA-E triggers with ALG ACTs, I wouldn't be too pissed off. If you didn't know ALG and Geissele are pretty much the same company.

Your barrel is a good choice, I would stick for 16" for your first build. That would allow you to change and test out different muzzle breaks without needing any NFA paper work.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 12:22:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Parts list looks good.

Faxon and Ballistic Advantage make good barrels.  I have both and like both.

There are tons of options for muzzle devices.  The basic A2 flash hider works and is cheap.  Comps and muzzle breaks work well, but are also louder and direct more concussion to the sides.  This can be annoying for some if you shoot at a covered range.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 3:10:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Most of the list seems GTG. I'd go 16" to 18" barrel.  14.5 will require a stamp or a permanently attached device.  16" works fine,  but I really ended up liking the 18" I used for one Grendel build that my buddy now owns. Liked it more than my 20", but kept the 20" as I have a lot more into it. I have a 14.5" And have had 16", there's not much difference for me.

Muzzle device, depends what you're looking for.  .223/5.56 have so little recoil I never find the need for a brake or comp for myself. Grendel is the same.  All of those basically have flash hiders. 6.5 Creedmoor is the only rifle using a brake and that is a JP. It is loud,  but very effective. It is one of the JP Compensators. For hiders I stay with SE Vortex or YHM Phantom. Yes they are old,  but they work.

Triggers... again depends what you're looking for. Both carbines of mine currently have standard spec single stage triggers. If I was to change them; which I probably will at some point,  I'll look into Rise, CMC or something along those lines. I have never seen a reason to change those and that why they still are what they are. If it comes to two stage triggers, I tried a lot of them recently.  My top three are AR Gold,  Triggertech and Geissele (more or less in that order). The AR Gold and Triggertech are similar so are kind of a tie. LaRue is mentioned often and is not a bad mid grade two stage trigger.  I have two builds in progress. A 458 SOCOM and another Creedmoor.  Both need triggers.  I have a brand new LaRue MBT and have considered using it in the 458, but have thought a really good single stage might be better.  No consideration for using it in the Creedmoor as i already had one in my current Creedmoor and Grendel and didn't care for it in either of those precision rifles. I sold the one I used in them off and replaced it. Another Triggertech will be used in my current Creedmoor build. If you like the Hiperfire then you should probably go with it.  If not you probably won't be satisfied and swap it later. If you don't like it,  you can always sell it off.  If at all possible try out different triggers from friends or range acquaintances. You may find certain brands you like more and others you thought were interesting you end up not caring for.  I usually let people try mine if they ask. Wish i could have tried a few out,  would have saved some money and time along the way because i wouldn't have had to bother buying a couple of them.

Vortex makes some good stuff.  Don't think you can go wrong there.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 4:02:13 AM EDT
[#6]
RE optics, the Strikefire is ok, I have one, but IMHO the Sparc is a better sight. Also, look at the Primary Arms MD-RB-AD, which is a phenomenal little red dot at a great value.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 1:09:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Solid parts list bubba, I like the VG6 gamma muzzle brake. They’re part of the aero precision umbrella, cheers
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 5:41:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Couple more questions:
With the Aero Precision M4AE1 upper, would I need a barrel with M4 feed ramp?  
What barrel would you guys go with in if you were in my situation?
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 12:15:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Just realized my barrel choice was going to be silver.  I think I'd like to find something black.  I'll take a look Faxon and LaRue.

Thanks!
View Quote
Are you sure you don't want a silver barrel? I built a FDE 6.8 rifle with mostly all Aero P. parts and a Wilson 16" stainless fluted barrel. Fawkin rifle is sexy. One thing that bugged me though is black on a FDE rifle soo, anything that was black I coated with some Brownells Aluma-Hyde FDE. I do still have a few minor things to coat.

Not the greatest photo of it...
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 2:19:43 AM EDT
[#10]
I just did a M4E1 lower....

Upper....they have the threaded and the fancy one with Rail mount.

I think the fancy one is to fat. I havent held one in my hand, but the MI is great, and only 1.5" wide.

I havent picked up the M4E1 upper, but clearly the threaded unit will probibly find a 6.5 Grendel barrel stuffed in it for my next build...

You asked about a barrel
I would go with a BA and the reason why is that's the same as a Areo. Same ownership.
A Hanson has no sharp angles on the profile and looks cool if nothing else....lol
I have two of there cheap 300blk barrels and the 1 moa. thing is true.
Faxon I havent tryed....yet, but that will change.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 5:59:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Should I try the BA Hansen barrel?

I’m confused on m4 feed ramps - if upper has (aero precision M4AE1) then do I need to buy a barrel without?
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 6:30:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 6:41:34 PM EDT
[#13]
" />
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 8:44:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Awesome thanks for the clarification MadMachinist & BigGrumpyOne!!!
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 11:19:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
RE optics, the Strikefire is ok, I have one, but IMHO the Sparc is a better sight. Also, look at the Primary Arms MD-RB-AD, which is a phenomenal little red dot at a great value.
View Quote
That's interesting.

Why do you prefer the Sparc? I've never used one so I'm curious if I'm missing out.

I have three Strikefire II's & my my main purchasing decision was based on MOA adjustment & being able to change dot color.

The 4MOA dot can be a tad big, vs the Sparc 2MOA, shooting past 100yrds but I have yet to have a hunting shot past that.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 10:22:16 AM EDT
[#16]
I’m torn between the LaRue Stealth and LaRue PredatAR barrel.  How often do LaRue barrels go on sale?
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 11:51:25 AM EDT
[#17]
The Midwest Industries handguard is a good choice, but have you considered going with an Aero enhanced upper and handguard combo? Their enhanced upper allows the handguard to bolt directly to it, rather than clamp or bolt to the barrel nut.

Aero Precision Upper/Handguard Combo

Definitely not as slimline as the Midwest Industries handguard, but rock solid.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 3:20:44 PM EDT
[#18]
I’d take a good look at ballistic advantage since you already mentioned them. They are perpetually on sale at several of the site sponsors’ websites, granite ridge seems to have a good selection. I bought mine directly through BA a few months back when they were including a free stripped upper.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 11:04:18 AM EDT
[#19]
I always look around any holiday. Seems like most companies run sales on any given holiday granted some run better deals on bigger holdidays. Might look tomorrow with it being Presidents' Day. I don't know about larue but I even saw some sales for Valentine's Day
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 3:24:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Sign up for emails from manufacturers an vendors. Another +1 for the VG6 Epsilon can be found for ->$70 and a very good all around device the only multi purpose device I like more is the EFAB or AFAB I forget which is which but the less speendy one for a 16 inch barrel.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 9:12:59 PM EDT
[#21]
BA has their muzzle devises on sale right now. 15% off for Presidents' Day sale. Plus a free patch if you're into those.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top