Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2020 4:01:23 PM EDT
Hey all, new here,

I am building a 6.5 Grendel with a 20" barrel. The upper i bought does not have a forward assist, the BCG i bought is serated, i know this shouldnt matter. I have steel mags for it and have purchased 6.5 GRN Wolf ammo steel case. Now when i charge the upper dry the BCG seats all the way in the chamber as it should. When i load in a mag and try to charge a bullet it stops a 1/4" from fully seating. With this lockdown there are no gun smiths that are open that i can take it to. ANy idea on what it could be?
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 4:59:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you checked it out with a headspace gauge?
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 5:28:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought a Grendel barrel that had a badly reamed throat.  Rounds would not chamber, bolt would not close.

They ended up replacing it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 7:16:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Need pictures.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 7:16:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Try charging it really slow and look at everything up close.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 7:48:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Pull out the BCG and see if a round will seat fully in the chamber by hand.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 2:00:41 PM EDT
[#6]
No i dont have the proper tools to do so.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 2:34:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BlackOpsCmd:
No i dont have the proper tools to do so.
View Quote

Take a marker and mark up a round from where it necks down to the bullet then chamber the round to see what's preventing the bolt from going forward.
Also try a different brand or lot of ammo, Wolf Steel case being cheap ammo there could be an issue with the ammo.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 10:29:32 PM EDT
[#8]
It is my understanding that there are 2 different 6.5 Grendel bolts and chambers. They are not interchangeable. I believe the bolt face is deeper on one than the other. So if you have different components, it could be that the bolt/barrel combination does not headspace properly and is preventing your bolt from closing on a round.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 4:31:13 PM EDT
[#9]
I cant figure out how to post pics on this forum. Anyway i took all the advice here, i looked in the chamber, the bullet itself will not seat in the breech fully. the BCG will go in all the way and seat properly. i inked up the bullet and found that the left side of the breech is rubbing the bullet. maybe it wasnt milled correctly, i tried two different batches of Wolf 6.5 Grn and the all did the same thing. I am was able to find a gunsmith who is open and taking it to him. let you know the outcome.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 11:20:45 PM EDT
[#10]
As someone else mentioned there is a Type 1 and Type 2 6.5 Grendel BCG and chamber and they are not interchangeable.

"The original Grendel, and what we now call Type II 6.5 Grendel, was designed to be used with a Grendle bolt, or.136 head spacing.

The patent was never released and to avoid any legal litigations, Les Baer Custom had adjusted 6.5 Grendel design of the barrel to make it .125 head spacing. We are now call it Type I Grendel."

Type 1 vs Type 2
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 10:32:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BlackOpsCmd:
I cant figure out how to post pics on this forum. Anyway i took all the advice here, i looked in the chamber, the bullet itself will not seat in the breech fully. the BCG will go in all the way and seat properly. i inked up the bullet and found that the left side of the breech is rubbing the bullet. maybe it wasnt milled correctly, i tried two different batches of Wolf 6.5 Grn and the all did the same thing. I am was able to find a gunsmith who is open and taking it to him. let you know the outcome.
View Quote

Sounds like an out of spec chamber.  Who is the barrel manufacturer?  I suspect you will need to send it back for replacement.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top