Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/28/2022 2:17:51 AM EDT
Awaiting cerakote to finish, I am just about finished with my project:

- MP15 lower (this was what I had stamped when I was just learning how the Form 1 process worked and to mimic my department's patrol rifle. After going through it and dealing with that, I'll probably never do it again, so this is the lower I've decided to use for my build)
- BCM Upper
- Noveske Shorty 10.5 Barrel
- SureFire Warcomp
- BCM BCG
- Geissele SSA Trigger
- Radian Raptor
- Radian Talon GI 45/90
- JP Silent Capture Spring
- BCM Gunfighter Stock
- BCM Gunfighter Grip

I read a good debate about BCM vs Geissele rails a few months back but I can't find the thread and the search isn't doing me much justice.

After waiting for stock notifications, I finally was able to purchase a Geissele MK14 9.5" blem. I awaited shipment for it for about seven weeks and in that time, not knowing what the status on it was, I got a notification of availability for a BCM MCMR 10".

Both were delivered on the same day and I don't know which way to sway.

Personally, I don't have much experience with MLOK and these rails. My department uses quad rails and that's what I've been shooting for several years. I wanted to build a lightweight rifle for CQB.

I'd appreciate any input on either rail.

Link Posted: 7/28/2022 7:34:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Can’t go wrong with either rail. In my personal opinion I like the Geissele rails better. And yes I do own several of each.  But since your build has a lot of BCM parts I’d probably sway that way.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 9:16:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Have both G & BCM and the BCM is alot lighter IMO. Once you go MLOK you'll never want those Quad Rails again!
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 12:17:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can’t go wrong with either rail. In my personal opinion I like the Geissele rails better. And yes I do own several of each.  But since your build has a lot of BCM parts I’d probably sway that way.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Have both G & BCM and the BCM is alot lighter IMO. Once you go MLOK you'll never want those Quad Rails again!

Thanks guys,

I'm probably swaying more towards the BCM because I noticed it has the MLOK at the 2/4/8/10 positions as well...

Guess I'll be throwing the G on the EE because it was a (blem).
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 12:25:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Unless you constantly swap accessories, you will probably enjoy the M-lok.

Which rail you should choose should be dictated by the purpose of the rifle.
Do you want absolute durability and rigidity for rail mounted aiming devices? Go Geissele.
Do you want a lighter weight and won't mount any critical aiming devices other than a backup iron? Go BCM.

They are both great rails, and you can't go wrong with either. Both will work well with whatever you mount to them, so the above questions really only apply if you are nitpicky.

I say flip a coin, put the winner on, then build another rifle with the other rail

Or put the cheaper one on and sell the other.
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 11:55:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Do you want absolute durability and rigidity for rail mounted aiming devices? Go Geissele.
Do you want a lighter weight and won't mount any critical aiming devices other than a backup iron? Go BCM.

They are both great rails, and you can't go wrong with either. Both will work well with whatever you mount to them, so the above questions really only apply if you are nitpicky.

I say flip a coin, put the winner on, then build another rifle with the other rail

View Quote

So the Geissele is "stronger" per se than the BCM?

I've been reading up on the "Geissele controversy" that was kind of buried a few months ago but there's not a whole lot out there on it...

The most that's going on the rail (at this time) would be a light mount and switch. I don't think any other devices will be going on it unless I magically get my hands on a MAWL or something similar
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 12:36:30 AM EDT
[#6]
I bought one of those Geissele buffer springs on my last build. I really like it. It has none of that cheap sounding spring action or scraping sound the cheap ones sometimes do. And it just looks cool when I pull it out for cleanings. It really gave my build a high quality feel to it when charging. Recommend if you want to splurge a bit. But it is pricey. And they have jacked the prices up since I got mine. I think I paid $45 or $50.

Attachment Attached File

ETA:

You didn't mention what caliber the build is. If it's 300blk don't use these springs.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 1:06:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I bought one of those Geissele buffer springs on my last build. I really like it. It has none of that cheap sounding spring action or scraping sound the cheap ones sometimes do. And it just looks cool when I pull it out for cleanings. It really gave my build a high quality feel to it when charging. Recommend if you want to splurge a bit. But it is pricey. And they have jacked the prices up since I got mine. I think I paid $45 or $50.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/327887/brave_GSBkUo2sr3_jpg-2471345.JPG

ETA:

You didn't mention what caliber the build is. If it's 300blk don't use these springs.
View Quote

5.56. I have the JP Silent Capture Spring.

Didn't know about the Geissele until now.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 1:14:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I've been reading up on the "Geissele controversy" that was kind of buried a few months ago but there's not a whole lot out there on it...

The most that's going on the rail (at this time) would be a light mount and switch. I don't think any other devices will be going on it unless I magically get my hands on a MAWL or something similar
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe a little stiffer. But in my opinion, not enough to justify it
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 1:19:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Much appreciated. I'll be sticking with the BCM and try to move the Geissele.

I'm picking the upper and lower up from the cerakoting this week and will have her assembled in short order.

It feels like Christmas.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 1:22:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'm picking the upper and lower up from the cerakoting this week and will have her assembled in short order.

It feels like Christmas.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It feels like Christmas.
Do share when it's done. I enjoy seeing people's builds!
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 1:25:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

10-4.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 9:01:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Turns out my BCM rail is 1/4" too long, so I'll be going with the MK14. First world problems.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 9:05:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Bcm is lighter, the G is sturdier. Both will hold zero with lasers.

But the G is overbuilt imo. So I wouldn't let that sway your decision. I have never bent an AR Rail, as long as you don't plan on running over your gun with your truck they'll both be durable enough.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 9:16:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Bcm is lighter, the G is sturdier. Both will hold zero with lasers.

But the G is overbuilt imo. So I wouldn't let that sway your decision. I have never bent an AR Rail, as long as you don't plan on running over your gun with your truck they'll both be durable enough.
View Quote

I'm going to run with the G. I was kind of bummed when I did a test fit with the barrel installed and the BCM rail stuck out just a bit too far where I wouldn't even be able to access the back of the Warcomp to add/remove a suppressor.

Also, the vertical venting ports on the Warcomp were a fraction of an inch underneath the end of the BCM rail which was too close for comfort for me.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top