Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2021 4:54:50 AM EDT
So I'm a rookie guys. I have a standard plain jane 16" I built from a kit and now I'm working on an 18" rifle. I've read that a normal carbine buffer usually works well in an 18" rifle length gas system but I figured I would ask you instead of trusting the general web.

The upper is a 416R, 223 Wylde 18" barrel that calls for a rifle length gas system. I tend to shoot 223 and 556 especially with current ammo prices. What would you guys recommend for a buffer setup?

Thank you

Rich
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 11:03:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Carbine buffer should work fine, though I'd probably run a H2, that's what I've got on all my carbines that I care to tune, slightly more pleasant.  The only rifle gas system I have is running an actual rifle buffer kit with an ACE fixed stock, that works well too, its very low recoil and easy shooting for new shooters I take out.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 12:51:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Buffer system and gas system are independant.  If you want to use a colapsible stock use carbine buffer/tube, if you want to use a rifle stock use a rifle receiver extension/buffer.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 1:41:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Have you looked at the VLTOR A5? You can use a full (green) Springco spring. Worth considering with the long barrel
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 2:12:33 PM EDT
[#4]
H1 buffer set, and then a Odin Works adj gas block, the "set & forget it" GB item. Then you tune it to get a good cycle.
Assuming you have a FA BCG. I like using the FA BCG's for a few reasons.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top