Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/13/2020 12:05:34 AM EDT
I am in need of some help. I have a A2 Rifle, but this one is currently setup with a .22 Dedicated upper. But I need to put a buffer system in it, I do not have a buffer system at all in the A2 lower, as it is just running a .22 dedicated upper.

What Buffer and spring do I want to put in the A2 lower to be able to run a M4 Carbine 16 inch barrel upper with the A2 Rifle Lower?

Hope you understand my question.. Thanks
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 12:15:27 AM EDT
[#1]
If your rifle has the rifle length buffer tube, then you need to use the rifle length buffer and spring. If it has a carbine buffer tube then you need to use a carbine length buffer and spring. A 16" carbine barrel upper works just fine with a lower that has a rifle length buffer tube/stock and rifle length buffer and spring. I run an A2 stock with rifle length buffer with a 16" barreled upper with no problems.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 1:09:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If your rifle has the rifle length buffer tube, then you need to use the rifle length buffer and spring. If it has a carbine buffer tube then you need to use a carbine length buffer and spring. A 16" carbine barrel upper works just fine with a lower that has a rifle length buffer tube/stock and rifle length buffer and spring. I run an A2 stock with rifle length buffer with a 16" barreled upper with no problems.
View Quote

FPNI, folks did this for a decade during the AWB.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 8:46:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes USGI A2 stock and buffer tube. Now is there a way to identify which spring is which?  I have two springs here. I was told the bottom one is for a A2 when I bought it, and the top one is for a Carbine I was told. Anyway to verify that from my picture? Bottom one is around a 1/4 inch longer.  

If one of those springs are correct. Anyone know of a source for a A2 Buffer? They seem harder to find than a Carbine buffer..If neither spring is correct, maybe a source for both spring and buffer?

The springs measure right at 11 and 11 1/4 inches. So maybe both are Carbine?

Thanks

Link Posted: 7/13/2020 10:15:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Attachment Attached File

JSE Surplus has the rifle buffers and springs in stock. Shipping rates are non rapey.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 10:17:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Minimum length for a rifle buffer spring is 11 3/4". So they are either really worn out rifle springs or carbine springs.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 10:22:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/416992/Screenshot_20200713-090907_Drive_jpg-1501958.JPG

JSE Surplus has the rifle buffers and springs in stock. Shipping rates are non rapey.
View Quote

Interesting, why would they do away with the minimum length? None of my Colt rifle buffer springs measure out to the 13 1/2" maximum... When they are brand new they only measure out to 12 1/2"
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 10:57:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Interesting, why would they do away with the minimum length? None of my Colt rifle buffer springs measure out to the 13 1/2" maximum... When they are brand new they only measure out to 12 1/2"
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/416992/Screenshot_20200713-090907_Drive_jpg-1501958.JPG

No idea man.  Just ran across it myself.

I've always went by the min/max in the TM.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 1:47:27 PM EDT
[#8]
I've had nothing but positive experiences with Damage Industries and everything I've purchased from them.

AR15/M16 Buffer, Recoil, Rifle
Spring, Recoil Buffer Rifle, AR15/M16, Stainless
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 2:23:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've had nothing but positive experiences with Damage Industries and everything I've purchased from them.

AR15/M16 Buffer, Recoil, Rifle
Spring, Recoil Buffer Rifle, AR15/M16, Stainless
View Quote

Another solid vendor, IME.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 4:25:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for all the help. Appreciate it. Needed a few things additional so ordered a Rifle Buffer and spring and that stuff all from one place. Will let you know how it all works out when we shoot it.

Big Surprise that someone represented the Carbine one to me as a Rifle..Oh well I have been took before because of my ignorance. But in my defense it was a impulse buy at a Local Show. Never had any way to research before buying it. Just had to rely on what he claimed. Obvious that he was just wrong or lying.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 4:55:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Download a copy of the TM, info is great to have.  (But as you see, updates do gst get pushed through).

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 8:48:29 AM EDT
[#12]
So I should be all set. Put the new Rifle spring and buffer in my A2 lower. Have not fired it yet. But I should be GTG with the Carbine upper with the A2 lower now right?
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 9:20:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
So I should be all set. Put the new Rifle spring and buffer in my A2 lower. Have not fired it yet. But I should be GTG with the Carbine upper with the A2 lower now right?
View Quote

Carbine upper and rifle lower should be a non issue provided that all components are correct and assembly is proper.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 10:39:21 AM EDT
[#14]
All correct and definitely assembled properly.

Will a A2 Lower somewhat calm the recoil of a Carbine upper? Not asking because I am a wimp,LOL Have another reason for asking...Thank You
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 12:07:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Will a A2 Lower somewhat calm the recoil of a Carbine upper? Not asking because I am a wimp,LOL Have another reason for asking...Thank You
View Quote

I noticed no discernible difference personally, I run H2 in every gun on my end.

H3/carbine RE or rifle buffer/rifle RE are pretty much apples to apples.
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 6:53:08 AM EDT
[#16]
You can use carbine spring and buffer with a spacer like Spike's and others sell.............I ran a 300 blackout like that with an A2 stock
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top