Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2020 4:19:09 PM EDT
I have a M4 I built from an old old Olympic kit someone bought mail-order from the back pages of shotgun news in the late 80's early 90's.  Combined that with aero upper and lower and parts in my tool box and I got this:

Anyways, I don't think I ever shot it much and when I did, a buddy of mine who ran a municipal LE training range gave me about 1k of random dropped rounds which I always though weren't all that reliable but heck I'm not fighting a war and they were free so fun out in the sticks

well, I started setting up my 550B to make lots of bulk .223 and what I found is that lower is very unreliable.  About 12% fail to fire and it's real sluggish when it chambers a round regardless of upper.

I don't know if this THE problem, but it is A problem.

How should I fix it?

Link Posted: 4/19/2020 4:51:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like the 25+ year old rubber/plastic dried out and cracked and crumbled ...

I'd buy a new buffer and buffer spring and call it done.  Give the buffer tube a good cleaning to be sure you don't have any little bits of plastic/rubber in there.

If you don't want fancy you can go with the basic carbine buffer and carbine buffer spring.

If you want to get fancy, well... JP, Aramspec and a few others make various captured springs that are "silent" compared to the typical "twang" the OE set up uses.  Aramspec has one that isn't much more than a spring and a basic buffer would cost...

Link Posted: 4/19/2020 5:01:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks like the 25+ year old rubber/plastic dried out and cracked and crumbled ...

I'd buy a new buffer and buffer spring and call it done.  Give the buffer tube a good cleaning to be sure you don't have any little bits of plastic/rubber in there.

If you don't want fancy you can go with the basic carbine buffer and carbine buffer spring.

If you want to get fancy, well... JP, Aramspec and a few others make various captured springs that are "silent" compared to the typical "twang" the OE set up uses.  Aramspec has one that isn't much more than a spring and a basic buffer would cost...

View Quote

I love the twang, it reminds me when I'm dry
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 5:39:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I don't know if this THE problem, but it is A problem.

How should I fix it?
View Quote

Buy a new buffer.

Your loads sound underpowered.

Link Posted: 4/19/2020 7:33:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Buy a new buffer.

Your loads sound underpowered.

View Quote

55 grain FMJ BT over 25.2 grains H355, that's a fairly stout recipe  

I'm not seeing signs of overpresure but the primers are definitely flattening

Link Posted: 4/20/2020 9:33:39 AM EDT
[#5]
What weight buffer should I get with a 12” barrel (short glass system) and a 5” receiver extension?
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 9:38:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What weight buffer should I get with a 12” barrel (short glass system) and a 5” receiver extension?
View Quote

5" RE?

More info......

Eta:

No idea what your GP diameter is, but personally I'd throw a quality spring and an H buffer in it. I'd also run some factory 5.56 through it to test function.

Link Posted: 4/20/2020 9:14:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

5" RE?

More info......

Eta:

No idea what your GP diameter is, but personally I'd throw a quality spring and an H buffer in it. I'd also run some factory 5.56 through it to test function.

View Quote

yea, the RE is about 5" long

what's a GP?
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 9:57:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

yea, the RE is about 5" long

what's a GP?
View Quote

GP is gas port.

I've not come across a 5" carbine RE.

I'd be interested in a pic of that.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 7:37:11 AM EDT
[#9]
I bought some spare rubber/poly buffer bumpers from KAK a couple years ago to replace some I had experimented with.

It's not hard to drive that roll pin out, remove the bumper and put/pin a new on in it's place.

As someone previously mentioned, remove the spring, clean the buffer tube real good, lube the spring/buffer tube and install the new/repaired buffer.

Make sure the lower is also clean of debris and lube it up properly.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 10:51:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I bought some spare rubber/poly buffer bumpers from KAK a couple years ago to replace some I had experimented with.

It's not hard to drive that roll pin out, remove the bumper and put/pin a new on in it's place.

As someone previously mentioned, remove the spring, clean the buffer tube real good, lube the spring/buffer tube and install the new/repaired buffer.

Make sure the lower is also clean of debris and lube it up properly.
View Quote

I ordered a H2 buffer from brownells, I didn’t find a rubber bumper.  That and from what I can tell, that buffer is too light for a short glass system.  

I didn’t notice any crumbs come out when I pulled the spring and buffer.  I blasted it with break cleaner and then with compressed air, stuffed a rag in there and it came out clean.

I’ll take it out soon and report back
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 12:10:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

5" RE?

More info......

Eta:

View Quote

I looked at the roller backwards.  RE is 7”

Got my H2 buffer from brownells today.   Well try it this weekend.
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top