Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2021 8:01:11 PM EDT
I ended up buying some Browning .223 Remington in the 120 Rd bulk boxes at Academy the other day. I have never bought this before and have no experience with Browning ammo.
Ran my first 20 rounds through my Ruger American bolt action .556. 8 of the 20 misfired. The primer strikes looked normal. I tried double striking them with the same rifle, click on all 8.
I pulled out an AR-15 and and placed the double striked rounds in a magazine and all 8 rounds fired.
I have fired Winchester, Federal, and Hornady .223-.556 through the rifle with no misfires. I loaded Winchester. 556 in it after and fired with no misfires.
Anyone have any primer issues with this ammo with a Ruger bolt gun?
Thanks.....
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 11:12:38 AM EDT
[#1]
no trouble here.

I'd pull the bolt and check for dirt and grease, and clean appropriately.

try that first.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 11:38:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Pulled and cleaned the bolt, didn't think that would be the issue because the gun is new with about 70 rounds on it. All other manufacturer bullets have fired except the Browning brand.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 3:17:07 PM EDT
[#3]
there could be factory grease in the firing pin channel still, or it could be the ammo. Browning ammonia made by winchester and winchester's qc is abysmal, almost as bad as Remington's
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 8:39:43 PM EDT
[#4]
There probably using military primers or something. Little known fact, a lot of modern bolt actions, especially short throw ones have relatively weak striker mechanisms. Hard primer, weaker striker spring and you get misfires.

Lots of ammo manufacturers are using whatever primers they can right now. Magnums in non magnum calibers etc.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 9:51:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There probably using military primers or something. Little known fact, a lot of modern bolt actions, especially short throw ones have relatively weak striker mechanisms. Hard primer, weaker striker spring and you get misfires.

Lots of ammo manufacturers are using whatever primers they can right now. Magnums in non magnum calibers etc.
View Quote

Correct. There can sometimes also be a bit more to it. If a cartridge with a case sized towards minimum headspace is fired in a chamber that is towards maximum headspace, the cartridge gets pushed by the firing pin/striker until it is fully seated in the chamber. This action can slow down the firing pin/striker just enough to where you may not get reliable ignition. With the standard mil-spec hammer spring installed, the AR has a very strong/fast firing pin strike as compared to some modern bolt rifles with weak striker mechanisms. .02
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top