Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2018 9:56:15 AM EDT
So I just got my brownells retro a1 lower, it isn’t even close to being the correct color, it’s definitely got a green tint. Seriously you think they would do something better. Sure wish I just got on a list for a spud. What a joke wonder if they take returns on them not sure since the FFL transfer is complete now
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 2:41:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So I just got my brownells retro a1 lower, it isn’t even close to being the correct color, it’s definitely got a green tint. Seriously you think they would do something better. Sure wish I just got on a list for a spud. What a joke wonder if they take returns on them not sure since the FFL transfer is complete now
View Quote
As far as I know they will take a return on lower receiver if it is defective.  I know the last time when the lower receivers were sent out with the safe/semi markings on the right hand side (later to become the blems) they offered to accept them as returns and reimburse for the FFL transfer fee or give a $25.00 credit to keep the receiver.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 2:52:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View Quote
Picked mine up as well. Its definitely NOT gray. More like a dark bronze. Other than that, its very nice. Perfect machining, with no forging flash or other marks. Would be nice if it said "Auto" but thats just me.

Not sure its worth spending another $100 bucks or so to have it reanodized the correct shade.

I'm hoping the NDS will be correct.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 2:57:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd like to see these lowers, could you post a pic or two?
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 8:18:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Here is a pic of the Brownells. Its supposed to be gray, but under fluorescent light, it casts a green tint. Under natural light, it looks bronze to my eyes.

Link Posted: 2/17/2018 8:57:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Here is a pic of the Brownells. Its supposed to be gray, but under fluorescent light, it casts a green tint. Under natural light, it looks bronze to my eyes.

http://i66.tinypic.com/wrymua.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i66.tinypic.com/wrymua.jpg
I see the A2 upper receiver you have in the picture appears to be black, I guess you do not have any original or aftermarket gray upper receivers for comparison?

Even though there were so many different shades of gray used throughout various production runs of original rifles over the years, and since we have heard this about these receivers a few times now, it appears that Brownells may possibly have a coloring problem on their hands.  We still need more member input to know for sure.

I do have one mint condition original Colt upper receiver that appears to be a color similar to that Brownells lower receiver but it also happens to be an earlier model Colt 9mm upper receiver so not really a good one to go by for comparison since it is not technically “retro” or atleast not what most people are building in this forum.

Does anyone have a gray upper receiver from Brownells to compare to a gray lower receiver from them?

We have also seen that on some of the complete rifles in Brownells retro line (mainly the XM177E2 variant) that they are coming with upper and lower receivers that are a very dark charcoal gray almost appearing black at first glance.  Does anyone have one of the other models for comparison?  I am interested to know if they are using the same upper and lower receivers on the complete rifles as they are selling separately.  It does not appear so but maybe the batches of receivers are coming through in different colors or they are still experimenting with them.

Most of the advertising and T&E rifles Brownells had our for promotional purposes appeared to be a lighter more typical gray.  I am wondering what is going on with the varying coloring.

@Brownells: maybe they can give us some insight as to their thoughts.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 9:01:15 PM EDT
[#6]
From your pic, the color looks good to me. The original anodizing wasn't slate gray.

Link Posted: 2/17/2018 9:15:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
From your pic, the color looks good to me. The original anodizing wasn't slate gray.

https://i.imgur.com/gW7gvZEl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/07WC8Z3l.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/GVexSH8l.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/sbaHmlvl.jpg
View Quote
A couple of my demilled lower receivers have somewhat of similar color but they are also well used and weathered so it is hard to say what color they originally were for sure.  I figure age, use, wear, and just being out in the sun for many years may have changed their color since I also have some other demilled lower receivers around the same serial numbers that show little use and are a sort of medium gray.  I am guessing that originally they were the more typical and consistent gray color we are used to seeing.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 9:36:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I see the A2 upper receiver you have in the picture appears to be black, I guess you do not have any original or aftermarket gray upper receivers for comparison?

Even though there were so many different shades of gray used throughout various production runs of original rifles over the years, and since we have heard this about these receivers a few times now, it appears that Brownells may possibly have a coloring problem on their hands.  We still need more member input to know for sure.

I do have one mint condition original Colt upper receiver that appears to be a color similar to that Brownells lower receiver but it also happens to be an earlier model Colt 9mm upper receiver so not really a good one to go by for comparison since it is not technically “retro” or atleast not what most people are building in this forum.

Does anyone have a gray upper receiver from Brownells to compare to a gray lower receiver from them?

We have also seen that on some of the complete rifles in Brownells retro line (mainly the XM177E2 variant) that they are coming with upper and lower receivers that are a very dark charcoal gray almost appearing black at first glance.  Does anyone have one of the other models for comparison?

Most of the advertising and T&E rifles I saw Brownells using for promotional purposes appeared to be a lighter more typical gray.  I am wondering what is going on with the inconsistent coloring.

@Brownells: maybe they can give us some insight as to their thoughts.
View Quote
No original A1 uppers to compare to. I do have an LM code A1 that I gunkoted black 15 years ago, so who knows what color that was originally. I plan on stripping that one for a carbine build (It currently has a Bushmaster 16in pencil barrel installed).

I have a NDS upper and lower on the way. Will post a pic on its "gray" color..
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 10:20:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Sp1 upper/NDS A1 Lower. Brownells A1 on bottom.

Link Posted: 2/17/2018 11:16:11 PM EDT
[#10]
I kind of like the way they turned out.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 11:23:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I kind of like the way they turned out.
View Quote
Depending on the upper receiver you mate them with they may look just fine.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 10:19:34 AM EDT
[#12]
I like both to be honest. Anodizing variations happpened as did different phases of wear. Mismatched rifles were very common. Unless you get a matched set the greys will always be a little different. Of course you could always moly resin them or something if you wanted a perfect match.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 10:26:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Received my Brownell's upper and lower and a McKay's lower as well. The gray is to dark for me and will be refinishing with Norrell's light gray flat. Also received a McKay's lower n gray, which I will be selling.

Brownell's
" />

McKay's
" />

" />
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 10:56:39 AM EDT
[#14]
How is the fit with the upper? Do you need a tool to get the take down pin out like my NDS does?
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 11:24:40 AM EDT
[#15]
nxs450, nice upper and lower. Just curious on your selection of the Norrell's light gray flat. I spoke with a couple users here and also to JT & John Norrell last week on color options, all are telling me that the Grayish Black Flat would be the correct color for the 16A1 when the product is applied and baked correctly. I have never used the product, this will be my first attempt, so I welcome any comments from users that have experience with it recently. I have read several older post from about the product.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 11:49:48 AM EDT
[#16]
I keep reading about the mismatched colors on parts.
Why does anyone really care?

I carried an M16 in RVN and not once did I care about if the upper color matched the lower or if any other parts matched.
So, Last fall I went to a small reunion of some of the guys that served with me or in the same group.
For those of you that served you know that there is a lot of down time and the BS runs about everything.
Not one time did I ever remember discussing if the colors matched, our only concern was that it functioned.

Because matching colors seem to matter here, I asked during one of our BS discussions, I asked the question about the colors matching and if it mattered.
After getting some laughter, and a few comments...............(I will not repeat)
Guess what, most didn't remembered if the colors matched or not, but none of them said it would matter.
There were some comments about the pretty boys (REMF'S) and there gear/weapons and I will not repeat those comments.

Bottom line when you add the dirt, oils, water, blood, etc. they didn't stay pretty very long. if something broke on the lower, you just swapped out lowers.
If something broke on an upper it was just swapped out with an upper.
Weapons and parts were gathered up and sent back, they were used for spare parts that worked, not because the colors matched.

I hope I didn't hurt someone feelings here, because I am learning how sensitive some people have become.

Ron
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 12:36:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I carried an M16 in RVN and not once did I care about if the upper color matched the lower or if any other parts matched.
So, Last fall I went to a small reunion of some of the guys that served with me or in the same group.
For those of you that served you know that there is a lot of down time and the BS runs about everything.
Not one time did I ever remember discussing if the colors matched, our only concern was that it functioned.

Because matching colors seem to matter here, I asked during one of our BS discussions, I asked the question about the colors matching and if it mattered.
After getting some laughter, and a few comments...............(I will not repeat)
Guess what, most didn't remembered if the colors matched or not, but none of them said it would matter.
There were some comments about the pretty boys (REMF'S) and there gear/weapons and I will not repeat those comments.

Bottom line when you add the dirt, oils, water, blood, etc. they didn't stay pretty very long. if something broke on the lower, you just swapped out lowers.
Weapons and parts were gathered up and sent back, they were used for spare parts that worked, not because the colors matched.

I hope I didn't hurt someone feelings here, because I am learning how sensitive some people have become.

Ron
View Quote
My experience as well, Ron and I'm in pretty much full agreement with you.  About the last thing I was concerned with at the time was which one of 50 shades of gray was more correct than another.

One of the many things I had to come to terms with about Viet Nam is that much of the time, some folks who never got any closer than perhaps Iowa seem to think they know more about it than we who actually went there, and many aren't ashamed to tell you all about it.  Which is kinda a different issue, really.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 12:46:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
nxs450, nice upper and lower. Just curious on your selection of the Norrell's light gray flat. I spoke with a couple users here and also to JT & John Norrell last week on color options, all are telling me that the Grayish Black Flat would be the correct color for the 16A1 when the product is applied and baked correctly. I have never used the product, this will be my first attempt, so I welcome any comments from users that have experience with it recently. I have read several older post from about the product.
View Quote
If you choose MolyResin "Grayish Black Flat" is definitely the way to go. The lighter gray is really light gray with a blue hue to it. Here is a rifle I did in the lighter gray:

Attachment Attached File

And here is one I did in Grayish Black Flat:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 12:52:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Ron
View Quote
Well you probably didn't have a choice either, and like you said all you was concerned with is that it functioned. Doesn't hurt my feelings one bit I am doing because of have the choice and I can.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 12:52:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks Charles,, Looks Great
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 12:55:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks Ronnie!
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 1:00:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If you choose MolyResin "Grayish Black Flat" is definitely the way to go. The lighter gray is really light gray with a blue hue to it. Here is a rifle I did in the lighter gray:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/410604/101_1497-456020.JPG

And here is one I did in Grayish Black Flat:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/410604/20170618_084429-456024.JPG
View Quote
After looking at the Norrell sight again I meant to say the gray flat not the light gay flat. The gray flat is described as being a match for the early AR15 M16A1. So the top rifle is the light gray and the bottom grayish black? The bottom pic looks lighter then the top one.  They both look good!
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 1:11:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
I posted the wrong color, I meant there gray flat which is listed as being a match for some early AR's and M16's.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 1:12:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

After looking at the Norrell sight again I meant to say the gray flat not the light gay flat. The gray flat is described as being a match for the early AR15 M16A1. So the top rifle is the light gray and the bottom grayish black? The bottom pic looks lighter then the top one.  They both look good!
View Quote
The top rifle used "Gray Flat", but the pics are different lighting and different tables. The top rifle was definitely lighter in person, unfortunately I don't have that one anymore to take a side by side shot. They are both cool colors though
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 1:16:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The top rifle used "Gray Flat", but the pics are different lighting and different tables. The top rifle was definitely lighter in person, unfortunately I don't have that one anymore to take a side by side shot. They are both cool colors though
View Quote
Did you do the Norrell's your self?
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 2:24:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Ron
View Quote
I’ll be honest you correct color doesn’t make it shoot any different, and my post was not trying to be a little bitch. But when I am trying to build a retro clone I expect the attention to details to be correct. I don’t want to built a half ass rifle, I want it to have the correct parts and color. It’s not cheap to build one, I don’t have money to waste so it needs to be correctly. I think brownells is just in a rush to make these they screwed up the first batch with the wrong markings. The second batch the color is way off I highly doubt you even have one in your hand to back up what you said, but it looks like shit in hand. I just expect if a company is gonna promote selling retro stuff do your home work and get it right the first time. Hopefully I don’t ruffle feathers but I don’t really care when my wallet is involved cause I am not rich
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 3:19:32 PM EDT
[#27]
"Attention to detail" and having the upper and lower be an exact match are in direct conflict with each other. Even today most weapons out there in arms rooms across the army don't match. My M4A1 has a black lower but the upper is purple. Most of the older grey M4A1s have black replacement uppers. The new FN M4A1s are all black, but thats about it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 3:41:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Did you do the Norrell's your self?
View Quote
Yes, it's real easy to do too. I had never used an airbrush before, but the stuff applies really easy. I bought a cheap airbrush and compressor (about $50 shipped) and it worked great. If you heat the parts before spraying it won't run.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 3:42:23 PM EDT
[#29]
To anyone that has been in the service, you know 99% of the time, uppers and lowers don't match and they never did.  So striving to make things match is a bit of a misnomer when doing clones and retro, I like my guns to match, but also know many times if they do, then I have not cloned the rifles we had in hand for various operations.  Things change during anodizing with virtually every batch done.

Matching upper and lowers are nice to look at, but most of the time, it is not realistic to the rifles in the past.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 4:58:15 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm well aware no rifles actually matched 100 percent...but the Brownells lowers (at least the one I have ) is way beyond gray. Its not even close.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 6:51:37 PM EDT
[#31]
It is everyones own choice how to complete their retro build. If they want to do it their way, and are concerned about color, get an in the white from Nodak and do it the way you want. Thats what I did. If not get it wherever you can, I don't really see the problem. Everyone has their own opinion and way to complete their build. None are right or wrong, just some are more accurate than others.

Just my 2 cent....

Receiver was anodized.. But I plan on using Norrells on three new receivers I have.

" />
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 2:17:28 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Received my Brownell's upper and lower and a McKay's lower as well. The gray is to dark for me and will be refinishing with Norrell's light gray flat. Also received a McKay's lower n gray, which I will be selling.

Brownell's
<a href="http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q607/nxs450/firearms/20180217_193825_zps6xdmwpps.jpg</a>" >[url]http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q607/nxs450/firearms/20180217_193825_zps6xdmwpps.jpg">http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q607/nxs450/firearms/20180217_193825_zps6xdmwpps.jpg">[url=http://s1166.photobucket.com/user/nxs450/media/firearms/20180217_193825_zps6xdmwpps.jpg.html]http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q607/nxs450/firearms/20180217_193825_zps6xdmwpps.jpg

McKay's
<a href="http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q607/nxs450/firearms/20180217_193816_zpspj0b1raz.jpg</a>" >[url]http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q607/nxs450/firearms/20180217_193816_zpspj0b1raz.jpg">http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q607/nxs450/firearms/20180217_193816_zpspj0b1raz.jpg">[url=http://s1166.photobucket.com/user/nxs450/media/firearms/20180217_193816_zpspj0b1raz.jpg.html]http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q607/nxs450/firearms/20180217_193816_zpspj0b1raz.jpg

<a href="http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q607/nxs450/firearms/20180217_193809_zpsmewtkthc.jpg</a>" >[url]http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q607/nxs450/firearms/20180217_193809_zpsmewtkthc.jpg">http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q607/nxs450/firearms/20180217_193809_zpsmewtkthc.jpg">[url=http://s1166.photobucket.com/user/nxs450/media/firearms/20180217_193809_zpsmewtkthc.jpg.html]http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q607/nxs450/firearms/20180217_193809_zpsmewtkthc.jpg
View Quote
Embedded:

Link Posted: 2/19/2018 9:36:34 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 10:29:33 AM EDT
[#35]
Looks fine to me.

Thanks Brownell's for getting into the retro time.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 10:41:25 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I wish I could have got a McKay when they were available.
View Quote
McKay's has 10 XM grey lowers blemished. I just sold the one I had and it looked really good.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 10:48:18 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

We did not get finalized gray receivers until just prior to SHOT Show.  Anything before that was black or painted, as it took several efforts to get an anodized finish that was close to the original (probably why you don't see anyone else doing this).
All rifles are shipping with the gray type receivers pictured in this thread.  
View Quote
Just to be clear in my earlier post that I am going to refinish the upper and lower that I got from Brownell's, wasn't because of a quality issue or not being the correct color. It is just a personal preference that I want a lighter finish on it. The fit and finish on the units I got are very nice!
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 11:04:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:  We did not get finalized gray receivers until just prior to SHOT Show.  Anything before that was black or painted, as it took several efforts to get an anodized finish that was close to the original (probably why you don't see anyone else doing this).
All rifles are shipping with the gray type receivers pictured in this thread.  
View Quote
Thank you for getting into this game.  Hope you stick it out.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 12:25:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 9:29:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Received both of mine today.  To be honest they look great!  Building an M16A1 and a GAU-5 with them.  They are slightly darker than the original A1 upper but it has a lot of wear so I am distressing the lower anyway.  Matches the SP1 upper that I am using for the GAU-5 almost perfectly.  Will try to snap some pictures once I have them built but I am very happy with them.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 11:06:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I wish I could have got a McKay when they were available.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Not mine, I was just embedding them in the thread for nxs450.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top