Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2021 9:41:59 AM EDT
Hi picked up a pair of XM16E1 lowers from Brownells
To give homes to my stray uppers and am baffled by the anodizing.

I’m used to NDS, and the color looks odd to me. It may be normal for them?

They are about 200 serial #’s apart and are two different shades. One greenish one purplish. But to me the finish looks ‘hazy’

The finish looks ever so slightly inconsistent and like there isn’t enough of the anodizing. I added some ballistol, and that helped slightly.

Are they blems or is this normal?
ThxAttachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/22/2021 9:47:54 AM EDT
[#1]
In before 'Brownelled'

Bet they will gladly sell you some Ceracoat to make them look a little more normal.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 10:44:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Can you put one of your NDS receivers in a pic next to them for reference?
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 11:03:44 AM EDT
[#3]
@hipshot

Top is a NDS A2, bottom early NDS A1
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 12:46:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I used a Brownells M16A1 blem as a base for a BFPU.  It had a very light grey color (not even close to XM) and it worked extremely well for aging when exposed to blunt force, rocks, scrap metal and several scouring pads. Due to the color of the anodizing and the low price paid for it I had few regrets giving it 'the treatment'.  In fact, the light color made the project easier.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 8:48:37 PM EDT
[#5]
The early Brownells lowers were the proper 1960’s dark charcoal gray, which is barely lighter than flat black. Some people complained that this color was too dark for their later Colt M16A1 or SP1 uppers, so Brownells started finishing their lowers in a much lighter shade of gray.

I would imagine that your two lowers are representative of the lighter color finish on current Brownells lowers.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 9:01:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The early Brownells lowers were the proper 1960’s dark charcoal gray, which is barely lighter than flat black. Some people complained that this color was too dark for their later Colt M16A1 or SP1 uppers, so Brownells started finishing their lowers in a much lighter shade of gray.

I would imagine that your two lowers are representative of the lighter color finish on current Brownells lowers.
View Quote

Possibly, but they don't match any of my 60's & 70's Colt uppers.

@CactusCapt you are right, they do have a BFPU look 'in the raw' but I'm not going to sand down any of my Colt uppers :)
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 9:07:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

@CactusCapt you are right, they do have a BFPU look 'in the raw' but I'm not going to sand down any of my Colt uppers :)
View Quote

Didn't have to trash a nice Colt upper- I had a few of the Malaysian Colt kits from CFS that, after removing globs of black paint, were perfect for BFPU.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 9:09:10 PM EDT
[#8]

Thanks for posting the pictures, it's a significant difference when seeing them side by side. I really wouldn't care if they were mine but I understand some people don't like two tone receivers.
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 12:50:13 AM EDT
[#9]

Attachment Attached File

Here are my two lowers an A1 and xm16 with a Nodak 603 and a black Brownells 603. I’m rather disappointed in the finish color. They are more of a grey/purple than anything else. Does anyone have any ideas where I can send the lot to be refinished to match better?
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 8:52:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have a Brownells 601 lower.  It must have been an early one; it is very dark grey!
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top