Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2020 7:40:21 PM EDT
With all the reported problems with Surefeed mags as of late and with my own personal bad experience with ordering from Botach, are Brownells usgi mags gtg? Was hoping they might make a good substitute.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 7:48:11 PM EDT
[#1]
The regular OKAY surefeeds are GTG.  I only have heard bad things about the E2's.  I have also heard bad things about the Brownells, but also heard rave reviews, BFLV has a high opinion on the Brownells.  I am sticking with the original Surefeeds until they let me down.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 7:49:24 PM EDT
[#2]
They're ok.  They haven't been actual g.i. in a few years though.

They've had their issues with feedlips and being wide, but they're generally ok.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 7:58:51 PM EDT
[#3]
So it appears the regular Surefeeds are still gtg, anyone know a good place to buy them? I’m trying to avoid Botach if possible.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 8:03:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Brownell’s mags have been gtg for me and they do have good warranty if you have problems.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 8:11:56 PM EDT
[#5]
So it appears the regular Surefeeds are still gtg, anyone know a good place to buy them? I’m trying to avoid Botach if possible.

Lots of places carry them. One of my favorite vendors is Mag Shack. Their prices are not bad and they ship fast.

Mag Shack
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 9:25:44 PM EDT
[#6]
At the risk of sounding like a shill, I've use Brownells mags for years, put thousands of rounds through them and never a problem.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 10:01:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Gun Mag Warehouse has 10-packs of Okay Surefeeds on sale for $99.99. Use discount code GARANDTHUMB for another 5% off (helps offset tax and shipping):

10 PACK Okay Surefeed AR-15 .223 Rem/5.56 30-Round Magazine

Brownells recently changed their magazine listing (again) when they added the desert tan version. I think they’re on their fourth product number now, and I’m not sure if they’re still being made in house. At one point, someone here said they had Okay markings on them, but I can see that the product photos have been updated to show the normal Brownells markings now. I’m just 100% certain that they’re the same magazine that they were selling previously. It’s just a strange that they keep changing the product info.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 10:06:53 PM EDT
[#8]
No problems with mine, they’re old though.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 10:40:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 11:03:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Gun Mag Warehouse has 10-packs of Okay Surefeeds on sale for $99.99. Use discount code GARANDTHUMB for another 5% off (helps offset tax and shipping):

Brownells recently changed their magazine listing (again) when they added the desert tan version. I think they’re on their fourth product number now, and I’m not sure if they’re still being made in house. At one point, someone here said they had Okay markings on them, but I can see that the product photos have been updated to show the normal Brownells markings now. I’m just 100% certain that they’re the same magazine that they were selling previously. It’s just a strange that they keep changing the product info.
View Quote
Thanks just ordered two 10 packs using the code. I think I just ordered the last 2 10 packs of the gray.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 5:36:19 PM EDT
[#11]
I was an armorer in the NG for three years, 2006 -2009. Most of my new magazines were from Brownells. They worked fine.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 10:20:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
I get this error: Coupon code "GARANDTHUMB" is not valid.

Did he lose his sponsorship with them this week?
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 2:21:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I get this error: Coupon code "GARANDTHUMB" is not valid.

Did he lose his sponsorship with them this week?
View Quote
Not working for me either.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 3:09:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Been issued Brownells mags new in plastic on two deployments as the standard issue mags. Some units got PMAGs, others have Okay or Brownells.  All work fine.

Respect our overlords.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 11:11:06 AM EDT
[#15]
I dropped an order over the weekend and it worked.  Did you try it with a space? I can't remember if I did use a space but I did get the discount.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 11:23:38 AM EDT
[#16]
I just went and pulled my receipt from my order.  Cut and pasted from the receipt.  Order placed on Sunday

Discount (garandthumb)
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 4:12:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I dropped an order over the weekend and it worked.  Did you try it with a space? I can't remember if I did use a space but I did get the discount.
View Quote
Has your order shipped yet? Mine is still processing.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 4:26:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Has your order shipped yet? Mine is still processing.
View Quote
NOt yet.  At least the last time I checked my e-mail I still didn't have shipping info.

Edit-Just checked my account on the website and still in "processing"
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 7:30:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I just went and pulled my receipt from my order.  Cut and pasted from the receipt.  Order placed on Sunday
View Quote
Yeah, I just tried it - I've ordered from them a couple times using that code, so it's saved in my Windows - and it isn't working anymore. They must have either ended their relationship with him, or maybe the code expired. I think it's been a few months since I saw a GMW video from him.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 8:54:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yeah, I just tried it - I've ordered from them a couple times using that code, so it's saved in my Windows - and it isn't working anymore. They must have either ended their relationship with him, or maybe the code expired. I think it's been a few months since I saw a GMW video from him.
View Quote
End their relationship with flannel daddy?!?! That’s heresy.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 7:13:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
At the risk of sounding like a shill, I've use Brownells mags for years, put thousands of rounds through them and never a problem.
View Quote
Same. I have several that are almost 10 years old, never had a problem with any of them.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 5:58:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Only if you buy them from Brownells directly. They will not warranty GI Mags even if new in the wrap.

Steve
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 9:32:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Only if you buy them from Brownells directly. They will not warranty GI Mags even if new in the wrap.

Steve
View Quote
Really?
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 11:39:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Really?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Steve
Really?
Yep.

There was no really legal way for anyone to acquire thise mags and Brownells won't warranty 'em.

I had a few dinged up ones and asked about it a few years ago.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 9:53:10 AM EDT
[#25]
I tried to get a few new in wrap, albeit GI wrap replaced that wouldn't fit into the mag wells of several of my AR's including a Sig M400, DDM4 and others. They said they wouldn't warranty new GI mags unless it was from the primary purchaser being the US Government. So I have several that wouldn't fit in any AR I've got except an old Colt SP1. Go figure. But, I got them on the cheap so no worries. Just something to be aware of. I think it may have just been one batch of out of spec mags. I'll check the manufacture dates when I get home today. I've got over 50 Brownell GI mags and those were the first issues I've encountered. I will try to stick with Okays and Colts on future purchases unless I get a great deal on the Brownells!  :)

Steve
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 10:01:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Mine work fine.

The best magazine is a legit USGI magazine with a Magpul anti-tilt follower. That's what I've swapped most of mine too. I have some Brownells too, they're good. Never had an issue with mine. I shoot a lot. Firearms instructor. Teach defensive carbine classes. Seen more issues with plastic magazines than anything else. Had a chick take a basic carbine class with an old Colt SP-01. She was using old surplus USGI 20 rnd magazines. She also took the course in flip flops (Against my suggestion). She actually did the best in the class. She switched to tennis shoes later in the day when her feet got tired and her arms started getting tired hefting the full length rifle, but the magazines never gave her trouble.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 10:03:26 AM EDT
[#27]
What follow come in these mags?

Thanks,

Red
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 10:06:07 AM EDT
[#28]
All the ones I have are tan.

Steve
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 10:30:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
What follow come in these mags?

Thanks,

Red
View Quote
Most of mine are tan followers. IIRC, I have some with green also, I'd have to dig to confirm.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 10:39:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

End their relationship with flannel daddy?!?! That’s heresy.
View Quote
I sent them an email and asked.  They are not flannel daddy friendly anymore.  Or at least don't honor the code.

I got my Okay Surefeeds (regular ones) at Primary Arms.  They are running the 12% off right now.  Makes them around $107 shipped to me for 10 including tax.  DSG has D&H mags for $94 shipped for 10 with Magpul followers.  They don't charge state tax.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 11:16:15 AM EDT
[#31]
PSA bottom plate, D&H with gray followers work very well for me, but then again, I don't try to keep up with the cool kids.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top