Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2021 6:21:02 PM EDT
Thought I'd share something:

I just received my new retro scope, and I had plans to remove the "Retro" logo. I tried isopropyl alcohol; no effect. I tried acetone; no effect. Then I realized that it is engraved... so I used a q-tip to rub some cold blue on it. I then cleaned it with a damp cloth, rubbed some oil in, and wiped it dry. Here's how it looks:

Attachment Attached File

Kinda cool, it darkened to a charcoal gray. Makes the logo a bit less obnoxious. I think I'm gonna roll with it
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 6:56:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Definitely made it a bit more subtle.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/9/2021 7:00:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I would own one of these right now if they could have restrained themselves from placing that gawdy logo.

I assume at some point in the future they either will, or it will be discontinued for low sales... for that reason.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 7:28:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I don’t object to the logo too much, but then I don’t build true clones, I allow a few flaws in markings.

But Brownell’s is doing a bang up business with those, they’re out of stock most of the time.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 9:26:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, that is an improvement. I may do that to mine, including the 4x20 marking to make it match.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 9:49:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks, that is an improvement. I may do that to mine, including the 4x20 marking to make it match.
View Quote

I think that would look the best, not only camouflaging the markings, but also making them match. The “in the white” 4x20 marking draw your eye to the unwanted/now color-mismatched Retro marking.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 11:32:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I would own one of these right now if they could have restrained themselves from placing that gawdy logo.

I assume at some point in the future they either will, or it will be discontinued for low sales... for that reason.
View Quote

They were out of stock for a long time, recently available again.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 1:10:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

I felt the same way and resisted them a long time. Finally ended up getting one. I used Aluma-Black on it and darkened up the ‘Retro’ pretty good such that it didn’t bother me anymore.

Unfortunately I couldn’t get used to the cheek weld so it’s gonna go on the EE soon.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 10:01:57 AM EDT
[#8]
I can live with the logo.  What I didn't like was how thick the reticle was.  Obscured a lot of the target.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 11:37:11 AM EDT
[#9]
I just got one and yeah that logo is an eye sore. I’ll definitely be doing the cold blue thing. I worked really hard to get my clone as close as possible without it actually being a 601. I built it piece by piece before the brownells clones came out.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 5:23:08 PM EDT
[#10]
@Charles_P_S

What brand/type of cold blue did you use?  I just slapped some Birchwood Casey super blue on mine and it didn't do anything.  Did you leave your on for a long time or something?
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 6:16:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Shoot, I bet I misspoke. I probably used Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black. I'm not 100% though, I just looked and I also have a bottle of Brownells Oxpho-Blue and a bottle of Formula 44/40, all three sitting right next to eachother
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 6:17:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Cool, I was figuring that's probably what you used upon further reflection.  I'm off to pick up a bottle lol.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 8:47:10 AM EDT
[#13]
OP, that looks great!  The scope looks much better with the subdued "Retro".  I don't think I would do that to the "4x20" though.  That matches with the directions on the adjustment knobs.
I may have to try some Oxpho-Blue on the Commie star sitting on top of a Cinese copy of the scope I have.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top