BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/15/2018 11:36:36 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 2:11:46 PM EDT
[#1]
They're beautiful! Do uppers come in the gray finish or black? Because on this picture it looks like the upper is gray, but the store page says the finish is black.

Also will the 601 uppers have an option for a 1/7 barrel as well?
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 2:46:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 4:57:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Wonderful! I'm gonna start saving up for this.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 8:54:16 PM EDT
[#4]
How does the Brownells NDS upper receiver color match up with Nodak lowers?  Also, are they still using A2 port doors and the flat instead of the correct tapered slip ring on the XM177E2 upper?
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 9:07:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How does the Brownells NDS upper receiver color match up with Nodak lowers?  Also, are they still using A2 port doors and the flat instead of the correct tapered slip ring?
View Quote
The correct part for retro rifles is the flat slip ring, not the tapered delta ring. The XM177E2 was the only retro carbine to use a delta ring.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 9:20:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks, I was thinking of the XM177E2 upper and forgot to be specific (I corrected my original post).
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 8:33:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 10:48:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Just 1-7 on the BRN16A1 & XBRN177E2 right now.
View Quote
I clicked through all the links to find this out.

Twist is not readily observed, and 1:12 is not a desirable twist.

Please make the 601's less authentic in this area... and more authentic with the handguard color.

;)

ALSO MAKE A DOE UPPER!
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 10:53:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Actually I just noticed something else about this too- is this the first we've seen of the 1:7 barrels in 12.7"?

I only see them in 1:12 as a separate SKU.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 11:36:26 AM EDT
[#10]
This thread stuck in my head- can you guys offer a Complete LOWER for each model as well?

I was thinking I could buy the 1:7 pencil and put these uppers together next week, but the gray BHO, trigger guard, and mag release are challenging for getting a retro a lower together.

I have an M16A1 parts kit on an E1 lower that I could see transforming into a A1 on A1 and one of your E1 uppers above (once the 1:7 becomes an option...)
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 12:12:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Well, at $699 even with somethings that need to be changed out. it's a deal.

So, what's the wait on 1/12 barrels?
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 1:25:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Why not make the 601 really authentic & offer a 1 in 14 twist barrel as an option?
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 2:54:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Why not make the 601 really authentic & offer a 1 in 14 twist barrel as an option?
View Quote
They should just make them all in 1:7 and tell people it's whatever twist they just ordered.

People who want a shootable, usable reproduction of a classic rifle will get compatibility with a wide range of ammunition, including modern loads.

Guys who will never shoot it and just want to say, "This is sooooo authentic! It's even got paleo-twist!" will never know the difference.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 5:57:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

They should just make them all in 1:7 and tell people it's whatever twist they just ordered.

People who want a shootable, usable reproduction of a classic rifle will get compatibility with a wide range of ammunition, including modern loads.

Guys who will never shoot it and just want to say, "This is sooooo authentic! It's even got paleo-twist!" will never know the difference.
View Quote
Not quite, I shoot my 601 clone often, it just feels right! Perfect weight & balance & It shoots 55gr ammo just fine.
I never fired anything heavier in it.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 6:50:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Brownells Retro Complete Upper Receiver Assemblies

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/126709/l_078000473_4-739687.jpg

BRN-16A1 1-7 Twist Model in-stock, remaining items will begin to arrive through the end of the year.

BRN-601 Complete Upper Assembly

XBRN16E1 Complete Upper Assembly

BRN-16A1 Complete Upper Assembly

XBRN177E2 Complete Upper Assembly
View Quote
I'd love to have a 1-7 twist barrel version for all the uppers!
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 8:14:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

BRN-16A1 1-7 Twist Model in-stock, remaining items will begin to arrive through the end of the year.

View Quote
Are these , and the complete rifles going to be available to people like me with accounts at Crow shooting supply ???
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 8:29:26 PM EDT
[#17]
The “Retro 1 in 7” crowd is a small, but very vocal group here. Terms like “paleo-twist” make me chuckle just a bit. Some people just don’t “get” Retro, I guess. Personally, I say: “Make mine as authentic as possible!”. I even want a “rifle” extension, rather than an “M4” extension, even though many will say that the M4 one works fine on non M4-cut uppers, and they actually feed rounds more smoothly too. I also use the round A1 front sight posts on my Retros, rather than the “better” A2 sight posts, or an Aimpoint (haha!).

If you want the technically “best” AR variant, you probably don’t want a “Retro” rifle or carbine. Before I get burned at the stake for uttering such heresy in the Retro Forum, allow me to explain: If you fashion yourself to be a “High-Speed, Low-Drag Operator”, then a railed-out, “tacticool” M4-gery thingy is likely more your style. The Retro market is a niche market, and most of the folks here strive for authenticity over practicality. We’re like the people who restore old muscle cars, despite the fact that a new Prius gets better gas mileage and is “greener”.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 8:47:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The “Retro 1 in 7” crowd is a small, but very vocal group here. Terms like “paleo-twist” make me chuckle just a bit. Personally, I say: “Make mine as authentic as possible!”. I even want a “rifle” extension, rather than an “M4” extension, even though many will say that the M4 one works fine on non M4-cut uppers, and they actually feed rounds more smoothly too.

If you want the technically “best” AR variant, you probably don’t want a “Retro” rifle or carbine. Before I get burned at the stake for uttering such heresy in the Retro Forum, allow me to explain: If you fashion yourself to be a “High-Speed, Low-Drag Operator”, then a railed-out M4-gery thingy is likely more your style. The Retro market is a niche market, and most of the folks here strive for authenticity over practicality. We’re like the people who restore old muscle cars, despite the fact that a new Prius gets better gas mileage and is “greener”.
View Quote
If someone wants a 1 in 7 retro barrel it is a very simple task, just purchase a 20" 1/7 pencil barrel & have it turned to spec.
Now on the other hand, good luck finding a 1 in 14 barrel, even having one made is expensive & takes forever + we all know what the real deal retro ones have been selling for!
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 8:54:27 PM EDT
[#19]
I too would love to be able to buy a ready to install, 1 in 14” twist, 20” long pencil barrel. Bonus points for a cast front sight base (even though forged ones are “better” ).
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 9:25:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
Do these have the correct types of port doors now? A1 type (small rectangular pad) for the BRN16E1, BRN16A1, and BRN177E2 and the flat large square pad for the BRN-601?
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 12:27:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Personally, I say: “Make mine as authentic as possible!”.
View Quote
I'll bet you'd love to get your hands on some ball propellant loads and malf all day with crazy port pressure. It would be super authentic!

Also, have you visually inspected your bores and measured twist? Maybe they're 1:7 after all. You better go check!
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 12:28:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The “Retro 1 in 7” crowd is a small, but very vocal group here. Terms like “paleo-twist” make me chuckle just a bit. Some people just don’t “get” Retro, I guess. Personally, I say: “Make mine as authentic as possible!”. I even want a “rifle” extension, rather than an “M4” extension, even though many will say that the M4 one works fine on non M4-cut uppers, and they actually feed rounds more smoothly too. I also use the round A1 front sight posts on my Retros, rather than the “better” A2 sight posts, or an Aimpoint (haha!).

If you want the technically “best” AR variant, you probably don’t want a “Retro” rifle or carbine. Before I get burned at the stake for uttering such heresy in the Retro Forum, allow me to explain: If you fashion yourself to be a “High-Speed, Low-Drag Operator”, then a railed-out, “tacticool” M4-gery thingy is likely more your style. The Retro market is a niche market, and most of the folks here strive for authenticity over practicality. We’re like the people who restore old muscle cars, despite the fact that a new Prius gets better gas mileage and is “greener”.
View Quote
What's the problem with having options available in both barrel twists, like they already have for half of their offerings?
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 12:59:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Do these have the correct types of port doors now? A1 type (small rectangular pad) for the BRN16E1, BRN16A1, and BRN177E2 and the flat large square pad for the BRN-601?
View Quote
I’d be very surprised if they did, like I’d be surprised if they put the correct tapered delta ring on the XM177E2 upper.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 9:39:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 9:40:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 11:45:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Yes, these have new production A1 port doors.
View Quote
Interesting, are the A1 port doors available by themselves yet?
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 11:59:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

The 1/12 is desirable for those of us that prefer 55 grain and lighter bullets. It is a bit more accurate and the M-193 is a bit more damaging in the wounding affects.

It is good for the Federal 45 grain "Blitz" round and the Federal 50 grain rounds as well.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 12:03:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I'll bet you'd love to get your hands on some ball propellant loads and malf all day with crazy port pressure. It would be super authentic!

Also, have you visually inspected your bores and measured twist? Maybe they're 1:7 after all. You better go check!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Personally, I say: “Make mine as authentic as possible!”.

Yes I've checked mine. It is the correct 1/12 twist. I've also shot ball powder and have no problems.

Why are you being an ass about this on non-GD forum?
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 1:31:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Why are you being an ass about this on non-GD forum?
View Quote
*sigh*

You just don't understand retro, do you?

The 1:7 is desirable for those of us that prefer M193, M855, and Mk262.

It is quite a bit more functional and usable than paleo-twist, and everyone who gets shot with it hits the ground deader than $*** anyway, so "wounding affects/ meat axe/ tumbler" and other such discussion can be left to the goof-set.

It is also not a readily observable attribute of a weapon, and requires inspection and measurement before it can be confirmed.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 8:17:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

No.

It is a bit more accurate and the M-193 is a bit more damaging in the wounding affects.
View Quote
Those are actually some old big misconceptions.  Molon and others have conducted tests that have shown 1-7 twist is just as accurate with 55 grain rounds.  The "wounding effect" is also a big myth.  The fragmentation of the round has to do with velocity, twist doesn't play a factor and the difference in twist between the two doesn't make one "more stable in flesh" than the other.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 8:25:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 9:13:31 PM EDT
[#32]
This is not directed at anyone, but a collective thought.
My only double take is that the guys making these beautiful parts we are pissing about have to make a reasonable profit, and the rate of return (ROI) has to be reasonable.
Some retro heads will pay the premium, some complain about every nickel.
If it is being sold by Brownells or by NoDak it is a reproduction.
Hurray for those guys for putting their d!cks on the profit chopping block.

If the 1 / 7" barrel looks the same, and works well enough to be the base form which the 11.5" or the 16.5" or the 20" are made, so be it.
If the 1000 point crowd wants 100% accuracy to OEM then gonyhe OEM route. Good luck.

If the grey anodizing takes three times the work to get it right, it should realistically cost "Bob the builder" more than the MilSpec black anodizing everyone else uses.

If you are a dead nuts 100% true to spec REPLICA builder pay the extra to have your stuff custom done, but it shouldn't come at the expense of the person who wants the replica aura and reasonably priced AVAILABLE products.

Originality is great for originality purposes.
I've got a 1965 100% virgin Chevy Impala with 35k miles.  
I keep it 100% with NOS parts or remanufactured OEM parts.
I built a 1967 Z28 reproduction replica clone fake whore with virtually 0% OEM or original parts.
I'm tickled we have parts available.
I build replicas to tickle my fancy. Well it's not that fancy, but it tickles anyway.

Nobody makes a true to spec fiberglass stocks like the M16 or the M16-A1,
I need to cry, I want three of them. With metal doors.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 9:15:57 PM EDT
[#33]
I agree, and how many of us are in the business of punching flesh with our clone, copy, duplicate, fake, replicas?
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 9:55:43 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 10:48:36 AM EDT
[#35]
There has been a lot of complaining in the past on some things about them not being retro correct. (Some complaints were correct)
Now, some people want to have the 1-7 because OR whatever they want because they have special needs or they think they are special.)
Many of us want the 1-12 or 1-14. (I have special needs because I bought many cases of 55 gr when it was plentiful and very cheap )

TO BROWNELLS: Just build them as close to the original as possible. 100% US Made.

Many of us are very happy BROWNELLS is doing the retro builds and now we will be able to get the individual parts to build some more.

If your wanting a 1-7 then buy the parts  and a barrel  ( or have them made) and build it like you want/need.

"Just say Thank You" to BROWNELLS.
Have A Nice Day!

Ron
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 10:51:05 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

We will have them on the site shortly.  If you want to order one, you can call in and order.  The part number is 078-000-467.  Retail: $17.99.

Edit:  100% US Made.
View Quote
Once you guys have the grey anodizing of the receivers worked out, will you offer grey charging handles?
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 11:22:43 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Those are actually some old big misconceptions.  Molon and others have conducted tests that have shown 1-7 twist is just as accurate with 55 grain rounds.  The "wounding effect" is also a big myth.  The fragmentation of the round has to do with velocity, twist doesn't play a factor and the difference in twist between the two doesn't make one "more stable in flesh" than the other.
View Quote
Thanks Blain:
I have used the rifle in combat. RVN 67-68
The 55gr does work as designed.
I have seen the effect.

Ron
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 12:27:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Thanks Blain:
I have used the rifle in combat. RVN 67-68
The 55gr does work as designed.
I have seen the effect.

Ron
View Quote
Did I say that M193 wasn't effective?

The wounding effects of it aren't dependent on barrel twist, that is an old myth.

I find it so comical how some of the retro heads are so neurotic that they not only demand that something non visual, or noticeable, like twist be technically correct (though they don't seem to care about that for the brownells AR10 clone for some reason) but they don't even want the option of a much more practical modern twist available for those who actually want to shoot and use the guns.

It's all 100% mental and just about principle to them vs. practicality.  1-7 twist will shoot M193 just as well as a 1-12 twist, Molon and others proved it.  But like I said, we're not even talking about one vs. the other.  This is not even 1-12 vs. 1-7.  They don't even want you to have the OPTION of having the rifle with a modern twist!

Even if they can get what they want, they for some demented reason actually want to deprive that choice from others even though it wouldn't effect them getting what they want?

It's really sick.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 2:37:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
We will have them on the site shortly.  If you want to order one, you can call in and order.  The part number is 078-000-467.  Retail: $17.99.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting, are the A1 port doors available by themselves yet?

Awesome, thanks!
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 11:40:33 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
please don't bicker you guys geez
View Quote
Aimless, I'm pretty sure bickering is at least 30% of the discussion in this subforum
Half the time Brownell's posts their newest products, I'm surprised the thread isn't filled with more comments along the lines of  "I WILL NOT BUY FROM BROWNELLS THIS IS NOT THE CORRECT RATIO 1/3 GRAY-BLACK-MAGNAGREEN MIX THAT JOHN SMITH HAPHAZARDLY MIXED WHILE HUNGOVER BEFORE FIRST BREAK ON FRIDAY, JULY 24TH, 1964.  THE PATINA DOES NOT SHOW SUNLIGHT EXPOSURE FADING REPRESENTATIVE OF SERVICE BETWEEN THE 12 DEGREE TO 44 DEGREE LATITUDES.  QUIT CUTTING CORNERS, YOU SLACKERS!"
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 11:42:08 AM EDT
[#41]
@Brownells
Thank you for releasing these complete uppers.  These are awesome.  I've helped several people build rifles with your parts, and I wish I could have had a turnkey solution available - especially on the modern twists.  There aren't many pencil profile 1x7 barrels available.  I have one friend who really wanted to shoot 77 grain ammo like he shoots for high power, and we had to long and hard several years ago to find a barrel that met his needs.

Most people I know who want an "M16A1" or "XM177" want a well finished part that looks similar to what they carried or see in old photos and could not care less about the size of the pad of the port door.

I think your products come in at a very competitive price point for the value offered.  We're long past the days of 2006 when a complete surplus Colt upper was $400 or less, so even adjusting for inflation and accounting for new production parts, I think this is a great price point.

I will continue to steer people to you store and website for their retro needs.  Please pass my sincere thanks to everyone involved in the retro products line at Brownells.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 12:27:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 1:51:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Aimless, I'm pretty sure bickering is at least 30% of the discussion in this subforum
Half the time Brownell's posts their newest products, I'm surprised the thread isn't filled with more comments along the lines of  "I WILL NOT BUY FROM BROWNELLS THIS IS NOT THE CORRECT RATIO 1/3 GRAY-BLACK-MAGNAGREEN MIX THAT JOHN SMITH HAPHAZARDLY MIXED WHILE HUNGOVER BEFORE FIRST BREAK ON FRIDAY, JULY 24TH, 1964.  THE PATINA DOES NOT SHOW SUNLIGHT EXPOSURE FADING REPRESENTATIVE OF SERVICE BETWEEN THE 12 DEGREE TO 44 DEGREE LATITUDES.  QUIT CUTTING CORNERS, YOU SLACKERS!"
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
@Brownells
Thank you for releasing these complete uppers.  These are awesome.  I've helped several people build rifles with your parts, and I wish I could have had a turnkey solution available - especially on the modern twists.  There aren't many pencil profile 1x7 barrels available.  I have one friend who really wanted to shoot 77 grain ammo like he shoots for high power, and we had to long and hard several years ago to find a barrel that met his needs.

Most people I know who want an "M16A1" or "XM177" want a well finished part that looks similar to what they carried or see in old photos and could not care less about the size of the pad of the port door.  
Exactly.  Not saying that it isn't nice to have the rifle as authentic as possible, but the tiny niche group of people who even notice / care tend to go overboard about it.  Most people can't even tell the difference between an A1 and A2 lower, nevermind if the ejection port and slip ring is authentic.

The one rifle I would try to stay as close to original as possible would be the coming AR15 prototype (including 1-14 twist ultra thin (skinnier than A1) barrel if possible) as that one has so many things about it that are niche and not available anywhere, even from surplus) that you really are buying it for that purpose.  No one has ever produced anything like it since inception either, so it's very unique.
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 12:54:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Just a heads up, looks like brownells is having quite a sale on retro rifles and parts / accessories today!

All of the new M16 retro complete uppers are on sale for $50 off or $650 total HERE.  + If you use coupon code FN3, they are an additional 10% off.  And if you sign up through active junky (link below) you get an additional 4% off (+$10 for signing up) for over 15% off Click here for the extra 4% off + $10.  IE, a normally $700 retro complete upper can be bought for close to $550 shipped!!!

BRN-10 rifles are also on sale for super cheap, $1,400 for the AR10B version and $1,450 for the A.  HERE

That's under $1,200 for an AR10B clone with the 10% off, + the 4% and $10 through active junky HERE!!!!!

Click this link for an extra 4% off Through Active Junky!!!!
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 9:53:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Thank you Brownells for making these parts for us and Happy Thanksgiving!
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 1:12:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Maybe this has been answered before, but on the BRN16E1, will the charging handle and slip ring be gray too, or just the receiver?
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 8:34:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Maybe this has been answered before, but on the BRN16E1, will the charging handle and slip ring be gray too, or just the receiver?
View Quote
Black
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 9:00:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Hi folks, I've got a decent amount of retro parts and am thinking of building a carbine. Does the Brownells stripped gray A1 upper receiver match gray Nodak Spud lowers?

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/receivers/upper-receivers/ar-15-m16-a1-upper-receiver-prod83620.aspx
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 10:10:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Black
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Black
According to this Brownells YouTube video the slip ring is gray. > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SHmrx6-Vgw

The charging handle is black though.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top