Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2020 11:38:03 AM EDT
I’ve been checking back on Brownells site every couple weeks in the hopes that they would offer uppers or barrel assemblies for their prototype AR15s. Today I see they have blem barrels for sale. Description says the gas tube roll pin hole is not machined correctly. Doesn’t specifically say if the hole is too big or off location or what. Anyone already grab one of these?

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/barrel-parts/rifle-barrels/blemished-brn-proto-a1-barrel-prod133612.aspx
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 8:14:13 PM EDT
[#1]
looks like they drilled it too low...Bill
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 8:29:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Anyone ever run a gas tube with two roll pin holes before?
Assuming it’s far enough off to not have the standard hole just become one large one.
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 10:16:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I have bought three of them. Each one had a number sharpied on the bag it came in. I just built a rifle with one and all I had to do was line the gas tube hole up and run a drill bit through then pin.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 3:56:33 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd like a non blem for my nds-15u
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 11:00:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have bought three of them. Each one had a number sharpied on the bag it came in. I just built a rifle with one and all I had to do was line the gas tube hole up and run a drill bit through then pin.
View Quote

Same here.  The hole is off a little, but not that much.  Just got to keep jacking with it.  I broke 3 drill bits doing it until i was able to stick a 5/64 pin all the way through.  Fricking cheap chinese drill bits.  I wonder if anyone makes a 5/64 needle file.  That would probably work too.  Any watchmakers out there?
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 11:07:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Not sure if relevant, but the Brownells barrel I tried to install this weekend will NOT ALLOW THE GAS TUBE TO GO INTO THE FSB.

Tried three different gas tubes, no joy.  Was going to remove the fsb and drill the hole larger.  Then I thought, "F that, it's going back."  Very disappointed!

Paladin

ETA: my barrel was not sold as a blemished item.

ETA:  used a tapered reamer thing to just barely clean up the opening of the gas tube hole, and the gas tube went right in.  thx to who suggested it.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 4:42:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Same here.  The hole is off a little, but not that much.  Just got to keep jacking with it.  I broke 3 drill bits doing it until i was able to stick a 5/64 pin all the way through.  Fricking cheap chinese drill bits.  I wonder if anyone makes a 5/64 needle file.  That would probably work too.  Any watchmakers out there?
View Quote

So are you saying that the hole just needs to be enlarged and is in more or less the correct spot?
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 5:45:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Not sure if relevant, but the Brownells barrel I tried to install this weekend will NOT ALLOW THE GAS TUBE TO GO INTO THE FSB.=

Paladin

ETA: my barrel was not sold as a blemished item.
View Quote

Are you sure?  Can't even get it started?  I've had similar  problems before due to burrs inside the hole.  A small rat tail file cleared it up.  I don't know what barrel assembly you have, but if it's for the proto, the hole runs all the way through from rear to front, making it easy to run a drill through.  HTH
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 11:07:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

I used a cheap chinese letter drill and set it up in the Bridgeport. It’s not the FSB that needed to be drilled you just line the hole in the gas tube up close and eun the drill bit through it to “egg” the hole in the gas tube.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 12:46:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Egg the hole in the gas tube.  That's a very good idea.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 1:03:44 AM EDT
[#11]
I drove the pin in from right to left. Didn't have to do anything else...Bill
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top