Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/9/2018 6:17:19 AM EDT
I am really wanting to get a Brownells XM16E1 (XBRN16E1) lower receiver, but am waiting to see if their next production run has a better color match to that elusive “XM Gray” anodizing. It occurs to me that it might take awhile for Brownells to exhaust their current stock of greenish-gray receivers, and even then, they might not specify a color change on their next run. I also realize that it might be difficult to learn when the new batch of XM Gray receivers become available, when/if this change is made. This type of information has a way of slowly “trickling out” over time, unless the manufacturer brings it to everyone’s attention.

So @Brownells, do you have any suggestions or advice for those of us waiting on the fence for one of your otherwise awesome Retro lowers, finished in XM Gray anodizing?
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 8:03:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 9:10:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I recently purchased one of Brownells XM16E1 lower receivers from my FFL and he had an original M16A1 made around 1969. I happen to put the Brownells recover against the Colt M16A1 receiver and it was a very, very close match. My only thing is Brownells upper receivers seem to be much darker than the lowers.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 9:15:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I have factory Colt a1 uppers from light gray to dark greenish gray. They made all shades of gray for 30 years so its near impossible for one collor to match them all. And now for the past 30 years they seem to have changed there shade of black every 10 years.

I think Brownells said something about running a sale on 'blem' receivers for the old color when the new batch comes in.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 4:02:52 AM EDT
[#4]
I noticed that @Brownells was just selling their “blem” uppers and lowers at substantially discounted prices, due to finish color issues. Does this mean that the current inventory of “regular price” retro gray lowers (specifically the XBRN16E1 lower in gray) is that new batch with the correct “XM Gray” finish, as mentioned above? I’ve been patiently waiting to give Brownells my money.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 4:36:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I noticed that @Brownells was just selling their “blem” uppers and lowers at substantially discounted prices, due to finish color issues. Does this mean that the current inventory of “regular price” retro gray lowers (specifically the XBRN16E1 lower in gray) is that new batch with the correct “XM Gray” finish, as mentioned above? I’ve been patiently waiting to give Brownells my money.
View Quote
Honestly, man.  I'd just buy the discounted lowers, and use Norrells and a preval sprayer to get the color you want.  I'm sure they are probably coming out with the new batch soon, though.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 12:15:20 PM EDT
[#6]
What it to match perfectly? Get them as close as possible then shoot them both with Norrell's. That's about the only way it'll happen. Different forgings have different alloys.  The alloy make up makes a big difference in the anodizing matching.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 12:19:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 12:53:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Also going to add in that every batch of Anodize will be a little different. The color is always going to very a bit.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 1:58:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I got lucky- my NDS lower was a perfect match for the XM gray on my kit.

Link Posted: 7/24/2018 2:19:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Even real gray anodized M16's don't have a matched finish on the upper and lower- trying to match them in order to make it look "historically correct" is a bit like chasing unicorns....
View Quote
this is true, i have spent hours trying to match an upper and lower. due to the fact that the upper was made in the 70s and lower is new its almost impossible and not cost effective.I wish i had my pictures to show. I ran one not long ago and it was very pleasing but it took months and months......
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 4:20:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r220/Kalashnikev/Rifles/IMAG0012_zpsb2b7f3e4.jpg
View Quote
I agree; the XM Gray on the Nodak lowers is an extremely close match to my mid to late 1960’s Colt uppers. This would seem to be a good color to “shoot” for, as would the Norrells Grayish-Black Flat, from what I’ve seen here.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 6:33:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r220/Kalashnikev/Rifles/IMAG0012_zpsb2b7f3e4.jpg
View Quote
It's a very good match... Probably as good as one could get.  But from the pic, the lower has a slight bluish/purple tint.
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 8:06:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Honestly, man.  I'd just buy the discounted lowers, and use Norrells and a preval sprayer to get the color you want.  I'm sure they are probably coming out with the new batch soon, though.
View Quote
Waiting on my shipment of Norrells to show up. I bought a Paasche single action airbrush and a cheap media blaster from Harbor Freight. I am going to practice on a few Anderson lowers before I do my Brownell’s Gray-Green upper.

If I can lay down a color that is acceptable then I will start doing 80% lowers.
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 7:29:52 AM EDT
[#14]
I got one of the blem lowers, definately greenish grey but i'm fine with it.

Link Posted: 7/31/2018 7:44:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Upper and lower recently received from Brownells. Pic next to a raw lower and a black charging handle added for effect.

Attachment Attached File

Would you say there is room for the us government property engraving?
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top