Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2021 2:05:56 PM EDT
As you can see in the picture, the dust cover door on my BRN-180s won't shut.

In the upper left it shows where the upper has gotten scratched from attempts to shut the door.
In the far lower left corner you can see the detent on the door; it's the little "nub" at the end of the lowermost horizontal line of light reflection.  It's not perfectly clear from the perspective, but it's sticking out too far to be able to close.

Is this user-fixable?

Link Posted: 4/26/2021 2:12:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
As you can see in the picture, the dust cover door on my BRN-180s won't shut.

In the upper left it shows where the upper has gotten scratched from attempts to shut the door.
In the far lower left corner you can see the detent on the door; it's the little "nub" at the end of the lowermost horizontal line of light reflection.  It's not perfectly clear from the perspective, but it's sticking out too far to be able to close.

Is this user-fixable?

https://i.imgur.com/D4UrQnG.jpg
View Quote

Well, that roll-pin on there on the backside of the door retains the detent and spring. I imagine, if the problem is as you describe, you could drive that pin out, remove the detent and spring, observe it for obvious issues, and if none, snip a coil or three off the spring and re-install.

Have you confirmed that the detent actually presses all the way in before you do any of that?
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 3:51:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Have you confirmed that the detent actually presses all the way in before you do any of that?
View Quote

Yes it does.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 6:02:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Yes it does.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes it does.

Well then if going through Brownells for remediation of the issue is something you want to avoid, I'd pull it and see what's going on.

You'll probably want to remove the port door from the upper, first, of course.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 5:24:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Can you manipulate the detent in with your thumb?  Mine was hard to close but after pushing it in a couple times I guess it properly seated and I haven’t had issues since.

Eta: you already did that.  Does the detent stick out too far?

Either way a call to brownells or pws is your best bet.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 3:21:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I had a issue with a part that was out of spec. Brownells sent me to PWS. Just contact PWS and they will take care of you. They had my upper for a couple of days and everything fits perfectly now.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:15:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah the upper's en route to PWS.  They're also going to loosen the jam nut that even the LGS's smith gave up on for fear of twisting or bending something.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 4:10:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yeah the upper's en route to PWS.  They're also going to loosen the jam nut that even the LGS's smith gave up on for fear of twisting or bending something.
View Quote

I had to put mine in a vise, apply heat and some penetrant, came off but was a bitch. Crazy cuz there was no thread locker present. They must have had a gorilla put that bad boy on.
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top