Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2024 8:00:02 PM EDT
I have one 80% lower that works perfectly with one exception.  For those that have done 80's, you know part of the machining is done when you get it, specifically the pocket for the bolt stop assembly.  In this case, the stop does not come up high enough to catch the bolt on the last round.  As far as I can tell this is either a result of the detent/spring hole not being deep enough or the slot itself that the catch rides in is too shallow.  Anybody ever have this issue and how did you correct it.  Looking for guidance before putting a tool to it.  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 8:18:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you measured the bolt catch features of the lower and determined if they are in spec or not ?    Is the bolt catch correctly installed/adjusted?

If you are going to modify anything, start with a new bolt catch.   Always cut/grind/modify the cheaper part first.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 10:16:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I did not have my calipers at the time to get exact measurements, but, the depth of the slot appeared to be not quite as deep as another build.  I have bought another catch thinking of the options to take some off the back and allow for more height.  I do have the 1/8" cutter to take some down in the slot itself as I don't think it would take too much to gain the height that way.  Thanks for your thoughts, much appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 10:21:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Looking for guidance before putting a tool to it.
View Quote

Give it the weekend before doing anything harsh

Link Posted: 3/10/2024 1:08:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Modify the cheapest or easiest part to replace.

I'd see if the bolt stop could be modified to increase engagement.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 10:08:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By oldguy14:
I did not have my calipers at the time to get exact measurements, but, the depth of the slot appeared to be not quite as deep as another build.  I have bought another catch thinking of the options to take some off the back and allow for more height.  I do have the 1/8" cutter to take some down in the slot itself as I don't think it would take too much to gain the height that way.  Thanks for your thoughts, much appreciated.
View Quote

Please measure the components before you do anything.

Measure the milled pocket, and the spring depth on the lower, and then measure the bolt catch itself.

Write down the measurements.....then compare those measurements with known parts that work.

Link Posted: 3/17/2024 11:41:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 11:50:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Try other magazines.

Unless the catch is actually being blocked by the depth of the cut, the problem is likely magazine related.

Ensure your magazine catch is fully screwed on a weak engagement can have the magazine not latching firmly.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 3:34:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Thank you everybody for your insights.  I have tried numerous mags to eliminate that possibility and have picked up an extra bolt catch to try removing some of the material from that to allow a deeper travel.  Just a visual (non caliper) look makes me think it was simply not cut an extra few thousandths deeper.  God bless ya'll for your thoughts.  Aloha.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 12:38:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: racer765] [#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By oldguy14:
Thank you everybody for your insights.  I have tried numerous mags to eliminate that possibility and have picked up an extra bolt catch to try removing some of the material from that to allow a deeper travel.  Just a visual (non caliper) look makes me think it was simply not cut an extra few thousandths deeper.  God bless ya'll for your thoughts.  Aloha.
View Quote

holy demonrat gungrabber states, Batman!  he's in Hawaii!

I thought they executed people for having an ar in Hawaii?
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 2:06:06 AM EDT
[#10]
have you checked that there isn't residual aluminum shavings, millings in the detent spring pocket?

otherwise, i think you have to measure it, compare it to known good.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 4:11:55 PM EDT
[#11]
I'll do that when I get back to the lower, it is in Michigan not Hawaii, so I have to plan ahead and  have a plan before I get back there as I only have a couple months to mess with it.  Will take my calipers back this year.  Aloha, ya'll.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 9:07:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Does the bolt catch function when you pull back the charging handle?  If not, the problem may be the depth of the slot.  However, if it does the problem may lie elsewhere.  I had issues when I reassembled my magazines incorrectly; the top loop should be to the rear.  If reversed, the follower may not rise quickly enough to push the bolt catch high enough to catch the bolt.  That one took a while to figure out!
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:49:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top