Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2020 10:47:40 AM EDT
While cleaning/checking a Colt M4 Carbine 5.56 rifle, I came across damage to the bolt carrier. It is chipped on both sides, right in the area of the bolt catch, more-so on the bolt catch side. I am trying to determine what caused this chipping so I can correct it before installing a new BCG.  This was a routine cleaning/inspection - no issues were reported by the person assigned the rifle.

Some background - I have taken a Colt armorer's course for the rifle and am familiar with the rifle and its parts, but I do not have much practical experience with diagnosing problems/maintaining the rifle. I have no way of knowing if this is a common issue or something out of the ordinary. I read through the Troubleshooting Checklist and searched the forums but could not find anything to give guidance on this issue. Thanks in advance for any help.  I did post pics but I'm a new member so I'm not sure how that's handled.

Link Posted: 1/16/2020 11:10:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Just looks like a thin little bit ragged edge left from machining that area from multiple directions. Why do you think it is damage?

I looked at a few different carriers and all are unique and have no uniformity at that area. Some have been deburred or the edge knocked down others not so much but none were uniform in shape or appearance.

I'm a new member so I'm not sure how that's handled.
View Quote
 Its 2020. 2013 is not very new member wise
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 11:31:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just looks like a thin little bit ragged edge left from machining that area from multiple directions. Why do you think it is damage?

I looked at a few different carriers and all are unique and have no uniformity at that area. Some have been deburred or the edge knocked down others not so much but none were uniform in shape or appearance.

View Quote
agreed
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 11:38:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Not to worry, it will work just fine.  More concerned with 1 post in 7 years. Slow down.
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 3:40:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the responses all!

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I had compared it to a number of other carriers I have access to and I did not find any that were not smooth in the area that this one was jagged.  That's what led me to think that perhaps this one was being damaged during the operation of the rifle.  Seems like folks are in agreement that its a result of the manufacturing process and I'm open to accepting that explanation.

Quoted:

Quoted:
Not to worry, it will work just fine.  More concerned with 1 post in 7 years. Slow down.
As cmc pointed out, that was my first post here so I thought it'd be a bit presumptuous to refer to myself as an established member of 7 years haha.

Thanks again for the help guys! You can look forward to my next post in 2027!
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top