Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 9:42:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By eracer:
How does something like this happen?

I worked in a production line factory for a while, and for each specific item it was a straight line from start to finish.  Product from line 1 never got close to product from line 2.

How could bullets from one line get mixed in with those from another?
View Quote

Floor sweeping?

I am guessing the machines get switched over and not totally dedicated lines.  Especially within caliber.   Just a few changes in the setup versus switching from 5.56 to the once every two years run of .30-40 Krag.  

Might have been some stragglers in the machines or more likely just human error dumping in the wrong bin, like returning the remnants from a QC test
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 10:27:30 AM EDT
[#2]

I worked in a production line factory for a while, and for each specific item it was a straight line from start to finish.  Product from line 1 never got close to product from line 2.

View Quote

If this was truly made at LC, then it is an easy explanation. There is no separate line for 5.56 75 gr., 55 gr., soft point, etc...They have a 5.56 line, a 7.62 line, a .50 BMG line, and so on. Some are in completely different buildings.

They make a production run of 55 gr. FMJ, then switch powder and projectile to run 75 gr. Leftovers from one run are at the bottom of a bin and get overlooked at changeover.

I too worked in manufacturing and still consult. Made similar products on several lines. Part of the QC checks (my job) at product changeover was making sure the similar but different components were in place for the new production run. Mistakes like this happen. New guy, third shift, tired, sick, distracted by baby-momma drama. Humans make mistakes, even in tight quality-controlled environments like ammunition manufacturing, food products, and engineered structural components.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 10:30:17 AM EDT
[#3]
I have no idea why people continue to roll the dice with frontier ammo.

Link Posted: 5/12/2020 10:33:54 AM EDT
[#4]

View Quote

I worked with propellant for 11 years in a manufacturing environment, and it happened VERY often.

Millions thrown out just that I witnessed and signed the dispositions for.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 5:12:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By joshdb50:
I have no idea why people continue to roll the dice with frontier ammo. 

View Quote

Because when I did my Google fu, I didn't find threads like this, specifically for the "match" ammo... and a big reason I started the thread. Most would think a Hornady backed company would be quality ammo.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 6:48:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Is it interesting that none of the other products made at LC seem to have issues like this?

One other possible cause would be that the wrong bullets are mixed into the bullets supplied to LC.    The same root cause could apply:  floor sweepings, bottom of the bin, etc...   But since LC isn’t accustomed to this type of problem they don’t have systems in place to check for it.   Hornady’s other ammunition manufacturing facilities might catch it.  

I will avoid Frontier ammo like the plague and these issues make me hesitant to buy any Hornady ammunition.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 6:52:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By 2Hut8:
Is it interesting that none of the other products made at LC seem to have issues like this?

One other possible cause would be that the wrong bullets are mixed into the bullets supplied to LC.    The same root cause could apply:  floor sweepings, bottom of the bin, etc...   But since LC isn’t accustomed to this type of problem they don’t have systems in place to check for it.   Hornady’s other ammunition manufacturing facilities might catch it.   

I will avoid Frontier ammo like the plague and these issues make me hesitant to buy any Hornady ammunition.
View Quote

I was going to mention Federal doesn’t have these issues with ammunition made in the LC plant.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 10:02:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Yikes. I just got 100 (five boxes of 20) rounds of this stuff recently. I couldn't find IMI Razorcore so grabbed some of this stuff cheap knowing well all the horror stories about Frontier. I never found anything bad about the 75gr until now though. luckily the IMI came back in stock and I have 200 of those coming tomorrow now. I'll have to check the Frontier now
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 4:23:03 PM EDT
[#9]
The Hornady Frontier 6.5 Grendel that I shot today did not impress.  About like Wolf.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 8:25:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By SteelonSteel:

Floor sweeping?

I am guessing the machines get switched over and not totally dedicated lines.  Especially within caliber.   Just a few changes in the setup versus switching from 5.56 to the once every two years run of .30-40 Krag.  

Might have been some stragglers in the machines or more likely just human error dumping in the wrong bin, like returning the remnants from a QC test
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SteelonSteel:

Floor sweeping?

I am guessing the machines get switched over and not totally dedicated lines.  Especially within caliber.   Just a few changes in the setup versus switching from 5.56 to the once every two years run of .30-40 Krag.  

Might have been some stragglers in the machines or more likely just human error dumping in the wrong bin, like returning the remnants from a QC test

Problem is likely changing calibers / changing bullet weights or styles on a single line.  They don't have 100% clear out efficiency.  Bullets are small, it's easy to miss them in a mass production line.  The sensors on the line likely geared to id presence of bullet yes or no, not dialed into a particular bullet dimensionally, unless they have good high speed vision sensing, which I'm guessing they don't.  I doubt anyone in the states is running a line dedicated beyond caliber - meaning they are set up to run any number of different bullet types for the caliber being loaded.  On the hunting line production side, I'd expect they aren't even dedicated by caliber.
I'd further guess that Hornady is running pretty flexible lines, meaning they can switch from pistol to rifle rounds on some lines, and the 5.56 hornady kaboom loads are a result of powder not being completely cleared out, and some Frontier 5.56 winds up with a blend of rifle, and pistol powder from the caliber that was run prior to the changeover.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 12:13:22 AM EDT
[#11]
You were going to run Frontier in your KAC LPR? Either you’re  brave, rich, stupid, or a combination of the three.

Thanks for spreading the awareness though OP. Some people still don’t know about Frontier. I’ll continue to use Hornady though...not even in the same ballpark.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 8:42:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By alpha0815:
You were going to run Frontier in your KAC LPR? Either you’re  brave, rich, stupid, or a combination of the three. 

Thanks for spreading the awareness though OP. Some people still don’t know about Frontier. I’ll continue to use Hornady though...not even in the same ballpark.
View Quote

You act like its Chinese Norelco or steel case Tula. This is literally sold under Hornadys name as Match ammo. Its no different than buying a Scion and expecting Toyota quality since Toyota makes them. There also isn't another thread speaking poorly about their match ammo, and actually just the opposite, quite a bit of praise for it. Ive had mixed reloading bullets in my Hornady boxes before, and actually even pressed one in before noticing. No one is immune from issues.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 8:43:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Update, still no reply back from Hornady. I sent the email Sunday... I guess less than a week was wishful thinking.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 9:31:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By FenixMike:

You act like its Chinese Norelco or steel case Tula. This is literally sold under Hornadys name as Match ammo. Its no different than buying a Scion and expecting Toyota quality since Toyota makes them. There also isn't another thread speaking poorly about their match ammo, and actually just the opposite, quite a bit of praise for it. Ive had mixed reloading bullets in my Hornady boxes before, and actually even pressed one in before noticing. No one is immune from issues.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By alpha0815:
You were going to run Frontier in your KAC LPR? Either you’re  brave, rich, stupid, or a combination of the three. 

Thanks for spreading the awareness though OP. Some people still don’t know about Frontier. I’ll continue to use Hornady though...not even in the same ballpark.

You act like its Chinese Norelco or steel case Tula. This is literally sold under Hornadys name as Match ammo. Its no different than buying a Scion and expecting Toyota quality since Toyota makes them. There also isn't another thread speaking poorly about their match ammo, and actually just the opposite, quite a bit of praise for it. Ive had mixed reloading bullets in my Hornady boxes before, and actually even pressed one in before noticing. No one is immune from issues.

There's plenty of threads with problems involving Frontier including several kabooms and that was his point. I hadn't seen any negative stuff on the 75's but I also haven't been looking.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 3:05:19 PM EDT
[#15]

Actually, its Hornadys fuck up... When I had my business and hired a shitty contractor, I didnt just tell the customer "well, wasn't my fault, the guy we hired to do it because we cant make enough money doing it internally did the shitty job", I sucked it up and dealt with it. If Hornady did this to cut production costs and take advantage of a lower market, then they have to accept the consequences of using someone else's quality control. I dont blame them for doing so, however thats the cost of doing business.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BigHunt:

That's the thing. Hornady is NOT producing this ammo. It is made in Lake City possibly using Hornady supplied bullets and they are stamping the brass with a Frontier headstamp and putting it in a Hornady box. 

This is Lake City's fuckup and it's going to cost Hornady marketshare, and confidence from shooters.

Actually, its Hornadys fuck up... When I had my business and hired a shitty contractor, I didnt just tell the customer "well, wasn't my fault, the guy we hired to do it because we cant make enough money doing it internally did the shitty job", I sucked it up and dealt with it. If Hornady did this to cut production costs and take advantage of a lower market, then they have to accept the consequences of using someone else's quality control. I dont blame them for doing so, however thats the cost of doing business.

Both correct.

There is something very odd about the entire Frontier ammo story.  If it's really LC, run by standard LC staff, to standard LC standards, how in the holy Hell is this much bad ammo being made?  I don't believe it is the same standard LC staffing and LC QC measures.  I don't know if it's the B-team, or they contracted out the QC step and LC actually makes a lot of bad ammo that QC then catches on the Gov't contracts - or what, but something isn't right.

In the end, it is 100% Hornady's responsibility.  What troubles me more than the ammo quality, is Horandy's track record of just blowing it off.  In general, I have a high opinion of Hornady stuff, and Hornady customer service; but when it comes to the Frontier line, it's like an entirely separate entity given to a brother-in-law from a divorce settlement or something.  I can't understand how Hornady is allowing the Frontier line to sully their name so bad like this, and just don't care.  It's really damaging to my opinion of Hornady, and they've let this go on for years now.  

Suffice it to say, I absolutely will not buy Frontier ammo.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 10:04:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Day 10, no response from Hornady. I emailed them again today.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 10:10:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Finally talked to them, they are sending a call tag for all the ammo and shipping me out a new case of Frontier.
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 6:56:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Just to update, replacement case of ammo showed up today. I only opened one box, but they were all BTHP... that's a plus!
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 9:05:51 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a couple hundred rounds of the 75gr stuff so far it's seems good from what I've shot and heard about the 55gr kabooms so I'll probably stay away from here on out. I was going to load them and stash em with my 75gr hornady I got loaded but I'll probably just shoot them little by little and hopefully they are loaded properly. I'm skeptical now
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top