Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2020 7:00:48 PM EDT
What is the best source for a m16a1 barrel assembly?  1-12 twist?
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 7:03:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Ar15sport.com has some nice ones, also brownells i would stay away from retrorifles.com they seem to have alot of negative feedback. If you want original they pop up on gunbroker pretty often.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 8:43:14 PM EDT
[#2]
This is kind of a bad time to be looking for one - most places are out of stock. I have both a GM-M15 Green Mountain 20" 1/12 barrel and a Brownells/Ballistic Advantage 1/12 20" barrel and both are excellent.

GM is probably going to be your best bet - I think someone else here contacted them and they said they expect those to be back in stock in July.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 8:56:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I just got one at JSE Surplus but like almost everyone else they now are out of stock.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 9:49:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MVolkJ:
This is kind of a bad time to be looking for one - most places are out of stock. I have both a GM-M15 Green Mountain 20" 1/12 barrel and a Brownells/Ballistic Advantage 1/12 20" barrel and both are excellent.

GM is probably going to be your best bet - I think someone else here contacted them and they said they expect those to be back in stock in July.
View Quote

Read this thread OP.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 2:09:57 PM EDT
[#5]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is kind of a bad time to be looking for one - most places are out of stock. I have both a GM-M15 Green Mountain 20" 1/12 barrel and a Brownells/Ballistic Advantage 1/12 20" barrel and both are excellent.

GM is probably going to be your best bet - I think someone else here contacted them and they said they expect those to be back in stock in July.

Read this thread OP.

Yup that was me:  If you don't want to dig through my thread the pertinent info is below:

Thank you for contacting Green Mountain Rifle Barrel. The GM-M15's are currently in production and should be in stock within the next 8-10 weeks. Please know that GMRB is doing everything we can to get caught up with all of our products currently out of stock, but we are dealing with severe short staffing, a heavy flu season, and now the Covid-19 pandemic. We appreciate any patience and understanding you offer and will do our best to have these through soon.

ETA: For perspective that response was from the first week in May.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 4:21:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yup that was me:  If you don't want to dig through my thread the pertinent info is below:
View Quote

I have a GM 1-12 twist on my M16A1 and it was worth it (other than I had it parkerized since it came in black). I read in the past mentioned thread you were possibly interested in a 1-7 twist barrel pencil profile. I purchased one from Dez Tactical Arms 2-3 years ago for my retro clone Colt Model 711. A very nice and accurate barrel indeed! Drawbacks for why a lot of retro brothers probably are not interested: Price. M4 barrel extension. Not chrome lined (this one is nitro carburized). Black not parkerized. Barrel marking at end of barrel (cosmetic). Plus you'd have to have barrel sent off for front sight base to be attached.

John Thomas fitted a correct Colt FSB and re-parked my barrel to match rest of rifle. Looks great! It was pricey, but I'm happy. Give Dez Tactical Arms a look. And their 1-7 twist barrels are in stock. Good luck fellow buckeye!

https://www.shop.deztacticalarms.com/20-Pencil-Retro-Lightweight-Barrel-425091R-7.htm

Link Posted: 5/21/2020 4:53:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I just got one at JSE Surplus but like almost everyone else they now are out of stock.
View Quote

Ah I just got an email that a label has been printed and my tracking number. I've been sweating bullets that JSE Surplus was going to say sorry the barrel wasn't actually in stock. Now I get to swat bullets until the brown truck shows up hopefully with the right barrel and in acceptable condition.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 7:04:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Watch the EE and watch vendors. I lucked out a few days ago and found a used Brownells A1 barrel in the EE for less than $200. I had thought about GMB and even Del-Ton and a few others, but having my FSB and other parts added to a stripped barrel would have cost a lot more.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top