Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2021 7:04:16 PM EDT
Looking for a decent belt worn AR magazine pouch that will work with both 20rds and 30rds magazines.  Open-top but secure enough for using at a carbine match and to wear when hunting with an AR without worrying about the magazine falling out.

I have some of the el cheap cloth ones with molle loops from Acadamy with the bungie cord retention and they suck as belt pouches (they sort of suck in general).  I picked up two Fab-Defense molded paddle pouches and they are better but I am not a fan of paddles especially for hunting.  The Fab-Defense pouches also do not work with my Black Dog Machine magazines for my 22LR AR and currently that is getting shot more than most of the others.

The G-code Soft Shell Scorpion looks good.  Is the quality that much better than the Krydex to justify the increased cost?  These type of pouches look like they have enough body to allow one-hand insertion of a full magazine, is that assumption correct?  What are you opinions of these pouches?  Feel free to suggest something else too.
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 8:40:07 PM EDT
[#1]
My go to belt pouches are Esstac and Blade-tech. I've been using the same Blade-tech AR kydex mag pouch for almost a decade now without any issues.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 3:07:04 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm using these kydex carriers from Tactical Gear Lines. They come with molle straps, but I swapped them for a Tek Lok style belt clip from a different vendor.

https://www.tacticalgearlines.com/product/black-ar-15-magazine-carrier/

Link Posted: 3/13/2021 10:43:28 AM EDT
[#3]
I really like my Esstac KWYIs
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 12:06:14 PM EDT
[#4]
So at first I thought those esstacs were floppy cloth ones like the cheap Tactical Performance that Academy sells but with a more careful look they appear to be a hybrid kydex/cloth construction.  That makes them a lot more interesting the when I first saw them.  They should be quiet for hunting but still ridged enough to allow one handed insertion of a magazine?  How are the belt loops they sell for them?  I want a good ridged support on a 1.5 inch 5.11 style trainer belt.  -thanks
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 12:39:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I've been happy with my Esstac Kywi pouches.  I only got into competition shooting within the past year or two, and used the pistol pouches nearly every weekend for USPSA matches this summer and fall.  No issues with the pouches, only my shooting ability and occasional gun malfunctions.  I haven't put as much time on the rifle pouches, but done a couple run and guns, night shoots, and rifle/2 gun matches with them.  I've never had a mag fall out, and haven't had TOO much trouble stuffing partial/empty mags back into them.  That's primarily due to clumsiness and poor gear layout on my part along with not spending as much time training as I should.  Notice a trend here?
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 9:37:34 AM EDT
[#6]
I’d probably go with the kiwis if I didn’t swap btwn .223 and .308 so much. I chose HSGI Tacos for this reason and have never had any issues.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 5:14:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Another vote for Blade Tech for this application. Used them for years.
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 9:14:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I love Esstac Kywis as well.

ETA: you can shake the shit out of them, and they aren't going anywhere.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/21/2021 7:20:03 PM EDT
[#9]
The Kywi can be had in a short version which would be better since you want them for 20's too.
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 9:48:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Kywi can be had in a short version which would be better since you want them for 20's too.
View Quote

This.  Kywi's are awesome & you reminded me to get some shortys.  thanks @Rokchukrslave
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 10:43:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Esstac KWYI is the way.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 12:03:15 AM EDT
[#12]
The Emdom universal can hold one or two mags and when you pull one mag the other stays held tight. It can also do AK mags, quad stack mags, etc.

The Esstac KYWI is easier to reinsert but can't take different mags like AK mags, etc. and only does a single AR mag. If that is all you need it is great for that. A medium Esstac can do 20 round mags too but is better with a 30.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 9:46:04 AM EDT
[#13]
I like the S&S Precision SMR with Dust-E cover and GRT belt loop adapter.

It's not the cheapest option, but it works great with 20s, 30s, PMAGs, USGI, Lancer. I have found good deals on eBay for them (though the Dust-E you might have to order direct from S&S as they seem a bit harder to find).

Link Posted: 5/2/2021 6:15:34 AM EDT
[#14]
If your handy with some basic tools, have a heat gun and toaster oven, you can make your own.  

Attachment Attached File

One piece of kydex folded over for pattern
Attachment Attached File

CD
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 10:26:29 AM EDT
[#15]
IMO, the best m4 pouches ever made were the Eagle Industries "Fort Bragg" style mag pouches. They are direct molle attached pouches but can be easily altered to belt mounted.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 7:53:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Another vote for Esstac- I use the mid or low height.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 7:55:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like the S&S Precision SMR with Dust-E cover and GRT belt loop adapter.

It's not the cheapest option, but it works great with 20s, 30s, PMAGs, USGI, Lancer. I have found good deals on eBay for them (though the Dust-E you might have to order direct from S&S as they seem a bit harder to find).

https://www.sandsprecision.com/pub/media/catalog/product/cache/82a867c62717a28448eeb29eb16eae77/_/m/_mg_1440_web.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/3/2021 5:51:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Esstac KYWI or BFG Ten Speed belt pouch if you want lower profile.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 10:55:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Another for the esstac kywi's
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top