Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2021 10:22:32 PM EDT
Hello,

First post here so I hope I put it in the right place. I have (or will have very soon) a 10.5" 300 blackout upper I intend to run primarily suppressed and a 16" 5.56 upper I intend to run unsuppresed. Is there a good buffer I can use for both on a common lower? I intend to primarily use the 300 blackout and only have the 5.56 as a backup. If it helps at all, I have a Kaiser X7 Monarch that has a light weight, skelotanized BCG. The 5.56 has a mid-length gas system and the 300 blackout a pistol length. I appreciate any help provided.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 10:35:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 11:01:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you. Any specific brands better than others for suppressed or just in general?
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 11:34:11 PM EDT
[#3]
You should look into selectable gas blocks or bolt carriers, Adjustable gas block would work too (less rapid changing of the gas setting).
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 11:41:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't mind doing that if there was a good adjustable gas block / buffer combination that would work. Again, it will be 300 blk almost exclusively. I just want it to run on the 5.56 if it has to. So would I get the adjustable gas block for the 5.56 or the 300 blk?
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 11:59:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorry, I wasn't paying attention to you swapping uppers. Tuning your buffer (H2 or H3) for a un-suppressed 5.56, then adding a AGB to the suppressed 300 BO should get you the same recoil impulse. You can then run the 300 BO un-suppressed by turning up the gas.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 12:07:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Ok. Nice. Thank you. This may be getting into another topic but I've seen a lot of sites recommend the superlative Arms AGB. Are there better ones or is that truly one of the best?
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 12:29:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Why would you run a lightweight bcg and then add weight in the buffer? Isn't the point to drop weight overall?

Why not use a regular carbine buffer and set the individual gas blocks on each upper to match the lower.

That would take an adjustable gas block for each upper but you aren't adding weight to the rifle
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 12:44:54 AM EDT
[#8]
I like not adding weight. You're right, they point of this AR was specifically to twice weight.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 10:18:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why would you run a lightweight bcg and then add weight in the buffer? Isn't the point to drop weight overall?

Why not use a regular carbine buffer and set the individual gas blocks on each upper to match the lower.

That would take an adjustable gas block for each upper but you aren't adding weight to the rifle
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/8/2021 10:58:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Appreciate the help. Anyone have good luck with a particular adjustable gas block? I'll start with the 300 blk.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 8:25:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I use an H2 buffer in my SBR lower. My 556 uppers have fixed blocks and the 300blk out has a Seekins Select Adjustable gas block. Since all of my rifles will be fired suppressed from now on, I got the Aero adjustable gas blocks for the 556 in each barrel length. I havent installed them yet though. The seekins was $113 and has a tab to allow for adjustments on the fly, but the rail still has to be removed to access it. The Aero was only $48 or so and is more of a set it and forget it.
The adjustable bolt carrier groups sometimes have issues in 300blk out.
Your usage will determine what you need. I wanted to be able to shoot anything (subs and supers suppressed or unsuppressed) so I went with the additional features on the Seekins, although I can't think of a reason why I would be shooting the 300 blackout without a suppressor.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 9:06:55 PM EDT
[#12]
One of the touted benefits of the A5 system was that the operational envelope was wide enough to use one lower with an SBR, or a rifle, supresed or not.  That might be something to look into.

Personally, I fit my rifles with an A5H0, turn the adjustable gas as low as it will go and function reliably, then upgrade to an A5H1 then A5H2, keeping the lowest weight that will reliably operate.  This gives me the least felt recoil with the least moving mass using the least amount of gas possible.
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 12:52:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
One of the touted benefits of the A5 system was that the operational envelope was wide enough to use one lower with an SBR, or a rifle, supresed or not.  That might be something to look into.

Personally, I fit my rifles with an A5H0, turn the adjustable gas as low as it will go and function reliably, then upgrade to an A5H1 then A5H2, keeping the lowest weight that will reliably operate.  This gives me the least felt recoil with the least moving mass using the least amount of gas possible.
View Quote

This is also very good advice
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top