Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2022 1:34:45 PM EDT
Been scanning around a lot of reviews and may have found some top options out there. Both Peltor and Otto seem to have Military, LEO, Lifesafety, and other industrial contracts outside of retail world so perhaps best in class (?).

Otto NoizeBarrier® Micro (p/n V4-11029)

Very cool all weather charging case with % battery life shown for the case and the individual earbuds
   Bout $400

https://www.otto-comm.com/NoizeBarrierMicro

3M™ PELTOR™ Tactical Earplug TEP-100,

Also all weather case but uses AAA batteries onboard to charge the buds
   Green/Red light indicators for charge/charging status
   Around $400
   There's a TEP-200 that can be connected to a two way radio (overkill) MSRP $690

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/v000232018/

3M™ PELTOR™ Electronic Earplug, EEP-100

These seem to be similar grade specs to the TEP line but w/o the fancy charging cases
   Comes in an UGLY green (no doubt to differentiate it from "Pro" version). Could be just as good
   MSRP $270 but all over the place for $200+/-
   Just ordered off Amazon for $190 (we'll see)

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/v100765196/

All Peltor offerings

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/c/ppe/communications/in-ear-headsets/b/peltor/
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 1:36:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been using electronic Peltors ear muffs for years. Love them. I ran across these AXIL GS 2.0 Extreme and watched the promo video. Seemed like exactly what I've been looking for.   Ordered a couple pairs at a promo discount.  Being winter I've not been able to get to the range and try for real.  Was unconvinced based on marginal seal I was getting in my ear canals (no matter the foam size) and hand-claps we're not demonstrating the same effect I get with Peltors.   I want ahead and returned them as the 30 day money back guarantee window was closing.

Anybody use these or something similar with good results? Looks like they OEM them under different brands.

https://goaxil.com/products/gx-extreme?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0Mmc1ouy9gIVth6tBh1YPQKLEAAYASAAEgI0TvD_BwE

I could care less about Bluetooth connection to my phone or anything like that but just some serious noise ducking earbuds would be killer.
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 3:45:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought the Otto's and really liked the concept and entire kit. Even bought extra foam earpieces too. However, regardless which ones I put on the damn ear bud would go so far into my ear I had ask my wife to pull one out!

Thankfully, I got them from a Co who took them back for a full refund. Make sure you do if you go with the Ottos!
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 12:21:17 AM EDT
[#3]
I have all 3 of those.

The ottos have better overall sound quality.

I can more clearly hear conversations in relation to background noise and pick out individual sounds, with the peltors the sound seems to be more jumbled or mixed together under certain conditions.

Using the peltors I would have to lean in or turn my ear toward who was speaking sometimes if there was alot of background noise, I do not have to do that with the ottos.

The EEP has 3 volume settings vs the tep with only 2. The TEP volume levels were always a little off, either too high or too low for me.

The peltors are rock solid over the last few years. I used the TEP for 2 years before I lost them, hunted in over 100 deg weather sweating all over them. Then they sat in a rifle case lost till I found them, still worked and held a charge after 3 years. The EEP version has been just as reliable.

Time will tell on the ottos, ive only had them for 2 months but the sound is noticeably better.

Use the comply foam tips instead of what comes with the peltors or ottos for a much improved level of comfort.
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 10:20:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Well I went head and am trying out a pair of EEP Peltors (lowest cost to try). Ambient sound seems OK as compared to my Peltor ear muffs.

One thing I noticed is that the ear muff version's clearly duck the sound of clapped hands whereas the earbuds just don't seem to do anything.  Guess I'll find out when I get to the range.
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 10:21:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have all 3 of those.

The ottos have better overall sound quality.

I can more clearly hear conversations in relation to background noise and pick out individual sounds, with the peltors the sound seems to be more jumbled or mixed together under certain conditions.

Using the peltors I would have to lean in or turn my ear toward who was speaking sometimes if there was alot of background noise, I do not have to do that with the ottos.

The EEP has 3 volume settings vs the tep with only 2. The TEP volume levels were always a little off, either too high or too low for me.

The peltors are rock solid over the last few years. I used the TEP for 2 years before I lost them, hunted in over 100 deg weather sweating all over them. Then they sat in a rifle case lost till I found them, still worked and held a charge after 3 years. The EEP version has been just as reliable.

Time will tell on the ottos, ive only had them for 2 months but the sound is noticeably better.

Use the comply foam tips instead of what comes with the peltors or ottos for a much improved level of comfort.
View Quote

What are "comply foam tips" ?
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 10:40:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

These. I bought them for the Otto's but they still sucked.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 2:56:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003VNB0UC/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_8QJS97RD6ZQNZB0X1JGD

I find the foam tips that come with the otto to expand too much and apply too much pressure.

Same with the skull screw foam tips from 3m

Comply makes foam tips in different sizes.

Link Posted: 4/11/2022 3:23:00 AM EDT
[#8]
3M™ PELTOR™ Electronic Earplug, EEP-100

Finally got out with em today.  Included tips were fine for me.  Just had to be sure they were rammed in deep enough.  Wore em for 5hrs with less discomfort than wearing standard ear muffs all day.  Even wi ambient volume turned up to 3 (loudest) they did not pick up ambient sound quite as good as Peltor ear muffs (but satisfactory) .  But these are more about low profile protection rather than ambient intelligibility.  Absolutely adequate.  I don't see a point  in spending more than double to try the next best........
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top