User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 6:23:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Best? I don't know. What do I like? Yankee Hill. Why? I don't know.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 6:24:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can pretty much spend any amount you want for bragging rights, but it is really not needed, mil spec is mil spec, the extra money gets you different roll marks and perhaps some unique skull heads gaudy cartoons or such that can be an attention getter, but they are not needed.
View Quote
Fixed it
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 6:32:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
A lower is a lower!
I prefer Colt for the Nostalgia of the Logo.
View Quote
This is what someone who's never handled an LWRC or KAC ambi (lower) says.  Not all lowers are created equal, even if 80% of them are.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 6:37:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Not within your budget of $200 but these are the NICEST Lowers I've found and they are 100% ambidextrous....

https://i.imgur.com/NdkLNMi.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/s2UVN8T.jpg
View Quote
Mind naming the manufacturer?  I can't see your pics while I'm at work.

I've been looking at the ADM ambi lower lately.  They seem fairly nice.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 6:41:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Given OP's focus on a lightweight build, I think 2A Arms is the lower/upper I would use.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 10:10:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
This is what someone who's never handled an LWRC or KAC ambi (lower) says.  Not all lowers are created equal, even if 80% of them are.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A lower is a lower!
I have owned both the lowers (actually complete rifles) you mention & they are great, Now if you  had bothered to read the ops post you will see that the OP asked for a $200 limit.

Quoted:
So what is the "best" lower receiver, assuming a budget of $200?
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 10:50:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I have experience with one set of Anderson receivers (upper/lower) that I used for the wife's lightweight build, not bad for how cheap they are but the quality is definitely not there. Had to do some fitting of parts and the overall finish is not great. But it works and hasn't broken, yet. I also have plenty of experience with Aero, and it's 50/50. I currently have a couple of sets that fit ok, one of which is on my recent M4gery build and I had to use the nylon receiver screw to tighten the receivers up a tad. The other I have will be used for a pistol build. Other Aero receiver sets I've used had horrible fitment, huge gaps between the receivers and just overall bad machining. Hell, I had one where the lower was too skinny and the upper overlapped it by a couple millimeters. Looked horrible and promptly sent them back to Brownells.

I do have a Rainier Arms forged set that has perfect fitment, however I'm not too fond of the deep shiny black finish, I like just a matte anodized finish better as it matches most handguards. I did get a Zev handguard to go with it since I'm OCD and the BCM rail I had didn't come close to matching.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 10:59:56 PM EDT
[#8]
KAC am I lower FTW.
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 2:44:46 PM EDT
[#9]
The only ones I have never had problems with are Spikes and PSA.

Anderson have had the grip screw threads not cut all the way.  The one I just did the Bolt catch buffer pin and spring hole was under sized.  Was that a pain getting it out.

I got a Noreen from Aim Surplus.  The hole for the Hammer was undersized.  The hole for the Buffer retainer was undersized and the hole for the front detent was too long.
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 3:55:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Mind naming the manufacturer?  I can't see your pics while I'm at work.

I've been looking at the ADM ambi lower lately.  They seem fairly nice.
View Quote
Pics are of Radian receivers.  Got my ADM lower not too long ago, if you've got questions let me know and I'll answer as best I can.  Ascend Armory also has some gorgeous, albeit expensive, true ambi receivers.

@jaqufrost
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 4:47:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Pics are of Radian receivers.  Got my ADM lower not too long ago, if you've got questions let me know and I'll answer as best I can.  Ascend Armory also has some gorgeous, albeit expensive, true ambi receivers.

@jaqufrost
View Quote
How do you like the Radian compared to the ADM?
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 8:34:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

How do you like the Radian compared to the ADM?
View Quote
Doh! Starting me off with something I can't answer. I can, however, speculate. If I remember correctly the Radian has a right side bolt release but in order to lock the bolt, you also need to depress the magazine release. I think I'd like the two functions to remain separate.

I have used the LWRC ambi (which is similar to the LMT MARS-L) and the POF Gen 4. I have not used the Aero/anything with the PDQ installed.

The ADM right side bolt catch--which I will start to refer to as RSBC--is in my opinion the easiest to operate with the trigger finger. In my opinion the flaw of it is that you can feel the RSBC "catch" once as the carrier passes and a second time once the bolt passes. It can be remedied by practicing, and pulling the charging handle like a big boy.

The mirrored ping pong paddle RSBC of the LWRC and the like does feel more "natural" if you're trying to just use a mirrored manual of arms.

I did NOT like the POF mostly on principle, because it requires sticking your finger in the trigger guard for a purpose other than pulling the trigger. Still, easy enough to operate without breaking your grip.

The PDQ looks like an affordable option but requires permanent modification to the lower, looks big in pictures, and I've read some reports that the pressure from the dust cover can cause occasional malfunctions.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 8:37:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the feedback.  I think I'm going to end up with an ADM eventually.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 5:02:05 PM EDT
[#14]
These days all we use is Anderson and have never had a problem with any of their stuff. I put the extra dollars in the barrel. We put them together to use and use hard. If I do have a problem I'll just give it to the Anderson reps when they are at Brownells and they will make it right. Good Guys.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 9:15:48 PM EDT
[#15]
if you're not getting a billet lower, the Aero M4E1 lowers are my favorite "bang for your buck" lowers. I have 4 of them and I love them
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 9:47:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Has anyone here ran both the lmt mars lower and the adm ambi lower?? Wondering how they compare.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 10:34:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
These days all we use is Anderson and have never had a problem with any of their stuff. I put the extra dollars in the barrel. We put them together to use and use hard. If I do have a problem I'll just give it to the Anderson reps when they are at Brownells and they will make it right. Good Guys.
View Quote
The question was the best, not the best for dealers to double their money on.
Anderson isnt even on the same level as "Best"
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 2:34:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 3:24:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Spike Tactical Spartan lowers for $93.

Use these codes to get additional 10% off.

Save $10 when you spend $100 to $199.99. Use the code: 10OFF100
Save $20 when you spend $200 to $299.99. Use the code: 20OFF200
Save $30 when you spend $300 or more. Use the code: 30OFF300

https://www.primaryarms.com/spikes-tactical-lower-multi-forged-spartan-stripped-stls021
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 3:29:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Anderson ftw.
View Quote
you beat me to it!!
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 10:14:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Spike Tactical Spartan lowers for $93.

Use these codes to get additional 10% off.

Save $10 when you spend $100 to $199.99. Use the code: 10OFF100
Save $20 when you spend $200 to $299.99. Use the code: 20OFF200
Save $30 when you spend $300 or more. Use the code: 30OFF300

https://www.primaryarms.com/spikes-tactical-lower-multi-forged-spartan-stripped-stls021
View Quote
Primary Arms is local to me, they have good sales, give LEO discounts, and give the above mentioned coupon codes too. Their customer service is second to none as well.

I think lower receivers are about personal preference.  I personally like the character of spikes tactical lowers.  I have a factory color filled spider lower, and two spartan lowers I'm going to color fill myself, and pondering doing one of those as another sbr. As of tonight i'm considering buying a spikes honey badger lower that they have on sale.

Get whatever makes you happy, and whatever you'll enjoy shooting the hell out of.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 11:05:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 11:15:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Exactly! Very nice!
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 11:41:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 11:56:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Tombstone Tactical had LMT MARS stripped lowers for $229. They had them in stock yesterday when I placed my order but it appears they are out of stock now.

LMT MARS
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 10:33:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Thanks.  I've played around with a few Spikes lowers,  Spider and HB logo are the only 2 that seemed to stick around.

Seems they've got a logo for every taste.
View Quote
I'm always torn between the honey badger, the crusader and the punisher when considering a new one. The color fill snow flake is interesting too.

Back to the OP so not to hijack the thread:  I have friends that buy them cheap and stack them deep regardless of which lower it is. I just woke up to an email from primary arms saying they have the Anderson lowers for $29.99 for 24 hours starting now if you're interested.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 10:35:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Worth repeating.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 11:25:09 AM EDT
[#28]
Hard to beat.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 11:35:45 AM EDT
[#29]
How are the Noreen billets?  I've heard mixed reviews with machining out of spec, etc.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 11:43:50 AM EDT
[#30]
I like CMMG but Anderson way cheaper and just as good.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 12:03:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

JL Billet 7075 lower

CNC machined from 7075-T6 billet aluminum.
Mil-spec component compatible.
Ambidextrous bolt release (included)
Integrated trigger guard.
Flared magwell.
Upper tensioning set screw.
Screw in bolt catch pin.
Trigger reset set screw.
Threaded take-down spring hole.
Includes set screws
9.02 Oz

http://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/n-biq04i/ry8nx/products/206/images/758/556_100R__42406.1489945156.1280.1280.png?c=2
View Quote
Looks and sounds like a Seekins lower to me.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 1:22:25 AM EDT
[#32]
I just built using one of those (LMT).  It was absolutely perfect.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 3:13:19 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
How are the Noreen billets?  I've heard mixed reviews with machining out of spec, etc.
View Quote
I had a LGS blowing out Noreen billet lowers for $25 a piece.  They had one left when I stopped by so I figured what the heck.  I built a 11.5" pistol on it and the assembly went just fine, no problems.  It's been fine to shoot but oddly enough there is one gen 2 pmag it simply doesn't like.  The pmag will just drop right out after a few rounds.  I can't figure it out.  All my other pmags gen 2&3 are fine in this gun as are Lancer and OK.  That one pmag works fine in all my other guns (Including a couple Andersons.) and I absolutely can't see anything wrong with it or the mag catch in the gun.  Anyway, my Noreen lower was no problem to build and has held up well.  I would have no qualms using another.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 9:12:27 AM EDT
[#34]
I bought some Noreen U/Ls and the fit is tight/perfect. Can't be beat for billet/price/quality in my book. I also like their austere look a maching.
Note, the upper has no forward assist (which is fine for me).
I just ordered a 308 billet set.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 9:21:42 AM EDT
[#35]
That's pretty obvious, if he did he wouldn't have an EOtech
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 9:22:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I had a LGS blowing out Noreen billet lowers for $25 a piece.  They had one left when I stopped by so I figured what the heck.  I built a 11.5" pistol on it and the assembly went just fine, no problems.  It's been fine to shoot but oddly enough there is one gen 2 pmag it simply doesn't like.  The pmag will just drop right out after a few rounds.  I can't figure it out.  All my other pmags gen 2&3 are fine in this gun as are Lancer and OK.  That one pmag works fine in all my other guns (Including a couple Andersons.) and I absolutely can't see anything wrong with it or the mag catch in the gun.  Anyway, my Noreen lower was no problem to build and has held up well.  I would have no qualms using another.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/464153/SBR1-667981.JPG
View Quote
Have you tried going one rotation tighter on the mag catch?
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 9:31:24 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Hey, wait a minute, I still have a couple...

Link Posted: 9/13/2018 9:32:47 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Hey, wait a minute, I still have a couple...

View Quote
I have one too
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 10:04:22 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 12:44:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Have you tried going one rotation tighter on the mag catch?
View Quote
No,  I'll give that a shot next time I'm shooting.  As long as it doesn't cause problems with all the other mags which work great then it could be a good fix.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 7:05:17 AM EDT
[#41]
A bit spendy but I did read lightweight & flexible budget...

https://www.vsevenweaponsystems.com/2055-enlightened-ar-15-lower-receiver/
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 4:05:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
A bit spendy but I did read lightweight & flexible budget...

https://s25.postimg.cc/w8ibua2zj/646_E0325-_F167-4_B31-_ACA8-886921746556.jpg

https://www.vsevenweaponsystems.com/2055-enlightened-ar-15-lower-receiver/
View Quote
I do like them, but they're just a little higher on the price than I'd like to go.

Finally settled on a PWS Mk 1 Mod 2-M

$200, 7.5oz, flared magwell, ambi controls, and forged. Pretty much fits everything I was looking for.

Now I just need to decide if I want to go with an FA or not. Leaning towards not.

With/Without, this build should come in at 5.96/5.97lbs loaded with everything but a sling.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 4:12:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I do like them, but they're just a little higher on the price than I'd like to go.

Finally settled on a PWS Mk 1 Mod 2-M

https://www.rainierarms.com/pub/media/catalog/product/cache/c687aa7517cf01e65c009f6943c2b1e9/i/m/img_3005_1.jpg

$200, 7.5oz, flared magwell, ambi controls, and forged. Pretty much fits everything I was looking for.

Now I just need to decide if I want to go with an FA or not. Leaning towards not.

With/Without, this build should come in at 5.96/5.97lbs loaded with everything but a sling.
View Quote
Looks nice!
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 7:20:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Looks nice!
View Quote
The logo is nicely subtle as well, and even if it did stand out it's not a bad logo

That's one of my problems with a lot of lowers. Yes, I like your product. No, I don't want to be a billboard for a gaudy/edgy logo.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 10:26:36 PM EDT
[#45]
I'd like a couple BCI Defense lowers.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 2:18:17 AM EDT
[#46]
Bringing this back up. Are the magwell flare cuts on your typical milspec lower really necessary? My Aero lower has it, my Rainier lower has it, my Colt does not and my PSA Stealth does not. I haven't really tested to see if reloads are any faster with or without.

If one were to have a rifle as a fight-or-die weapon, would you deem it necessary to have one?
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 5:54:30 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 6:15:08 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I have owned both the lowers (actually complete rifles) you mention & they are great, Now if you  had bothered to read the ops post you will see that the OP asked for a $200 limit.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
A lower is a lower!

Quoted:
So what is the "best" lower receiver, assuming a budget of $200?
Thtas like asking "What's the best 6 pack of beer under $6?"

But you're right, the OP was specific.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 4:46:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Bringing this back up. Are the magwell flare cuts on your typical milspec lower really necessary? My Aero lower has it, my Rainier lower has it, my Colt does not and my PSA Stealth does not. I haven't really tested to see if reloads are any faster with or without.

If one were to have a rifle as a fight-or-die weapon, would you deem it necessary to have one?
View Quote
If you're a little bit off, they can help. However, they're not a magic function. You still have to know what you're doing and stick the mag very close to being in the right spot. Unless you want to run something like the Lancer setup:

Haven't shot one, but played around with a few similarly sized flared magwells, and you can get really sloppy while still being exceptionally fast with them.

From the little bit I've played around with the PWS I've got, the minor flaring on there does seem to be slightly better than the basic on my Spike's lower, but it's still not going to make up for very many of my personal failures. If you can't get the magazine in the magwell without a flared opening, then a flared opening isn't going to magically get you down to 1sec reloads. You still have to know what you're doing.

If I can get a receiver with a flared magwell and I can get one without, assuming everything else is the same, I'll go for one with it every time. But I wouldn't spend very much extra on it. I bought the PWS for it's low weight and full ambi system, the magwell is more just a bonus than anything.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top