BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/19/2019 8:57:32 PM EDT
I've got a couple of CMMG lower parts kits, and two stripped Spikes lowers.
Thinking I want to put a top of the line LPK in them like the PSA I have with a BCM LPK.
Is there a better lpk than CMMG that costs less than the BCM?  Or are the CMMG kits I have good enough?
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 9:25:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 9:34:03 PM EDT
[#2]
CMMG is my go to lpk.

Great kit for the money.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 9:34:25 PM EDT
[#3]
CMMG makes excellent LPK's. RRA is excellent too. I think they have their forever sale on them at like $47.95 or something like that. I've used a lot of them.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 9:45:29 PM EDT
[#4]
PSA LPK with an ALG ACT trigger
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 9:57:08 PM EDT
[#5]
PSA lowers with BCM LPK's is all I use anymore.

I can usually find the BCM enhanced LPKs for less than $90 if I search hard enough.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 10:14:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I like the WOA kit without trigger group or grip from Adco.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 6:05:54 AM EDT
[#7]
CMMG parts kit (Gunbuilder sets is all I use) are great parts.  I have used many with no complaints.  Good shooting
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 7:17:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks all. Since I already have the CMMG I'll just use them, based on the feedback in this thread.
Thanks again!
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 7:57:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Strike  is the best I have used.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 11:02:28 AM EDT
[#10]
If you just want builder kits so you can add the trigger and grip of your choice Sionics and Sons of Liberty are great quality.  They are under $40 and i always swap out the grip for magpul k2 and trigger for Larue MBT most of the time anyway.

All high quality springs, detents, and no MIM parts in these
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 6:31:31 PM EDT
[#11]
I have been buying the CMMG gun builder sets for $30.00 on sale.  Hard to beat that.  Then get Rise 140 SST trigger and Magpul Miad grip and your all set.  Good shooting.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 10:51:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Strike Industries Enhanced Lower Parts Kit minus grip and trigger is my go-to Lower Parts Kit now-a-days. Lots of higher quality smaller parts in there such as safety, bolt release, and detents.

$50 from the manufacturer, a couple of bucks cheaper if you look around and can find it in stock.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 7:51:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Midsouth Shooters Armaspec LPK

Midsouth is running a deal on an LPK. Not sure the quality of the stainless Armaspec LPK.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 11:34:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have been buying the CMMG gun builder sets for $30.00 on sale.  Hard to beat that.  Then get Rise 140 SST trigger and Magpul Miad grip and your all set.  Good shooting.
View Quote
Link for $30.00 cmmg builder sets?
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 12:29:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 1:23:38 PM EDT
[#16]
I usually end up with PSA kits that include the Enhanced/Polished trigger.

When you can catch them on sale with free shipping, the (PSA) SBA3 brace with EPT kits are the way to go.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/catalog/product/view/id/33785/s/psa-moe-ept-sba3-pistol-lower-build-kit-black/
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 2:31:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Does anyone have any pictures of the ALG/Geissele lower parts kit? They use a stock photo on their websites, so it's hard to tell if that is what you'll actually receive.
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 4:53:10 PM EDT
[#18]
CMMG or Spikes
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 10:33:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Does anyone have any pictures of the ALG/Geissele lower parts kit? They use a stock photo on their websites, so it's hard to tell if that is what you'll actually receive.
View Quote
It is just a basic lower parts kit. Sure the quality is fine.

They are supposed to come out with their own enhanced version but vaporware at this time
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 5:27:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I've got a couple of CMMG lower parts kits, and two stripped Spikes lowers.
Thinking I want to put a top of the line LPK in them like the PSA I have with a BCM LPK.
Is there a better lpk than CMMG that costs less than the BCM?  Or are the CMMG kits I have good enough?
View Quote
Your CMMG parts kits are very good, no need to upgrade from them, other than possibly a high performance trigger kit if you want one in the future.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 5:03:50 AM EDT
[#21]
I got my last LPK from Primary Arms for $30. with limit of 5.  I have been buying the Rise 140 SST triggers on sale for $80. and limit of three.  Thanks
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 10:10:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 10:57:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

They are supposed to come out with their own enhanced version but vaporware at this time
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No picture but I used one in my most recent build. Basic quality parts as one would expect. I will continue to use them moving forward.
Link Posted: 4/3/2019 5:17:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Ive been using CMMG Gun Builders kits and needed an FCG with the last basic rifle build.  I bought a full Anderson LPK with the stainless FCG and was surprised how nice the trigger broke and no gritty feel of most milspec triggers.  Used a purple spring from an ACT and it performed very well.
Link Posted: 4/3/2019 8:41:34 AM EDT
[#25]
I cant believe no one said this. It was the staple answer last time I was active on here a few years ago.

https://www.redbarnarmory.com/Build-Your-Own-Custom-AR15-Lower-Parts-Kit-LPK-p/rbacustomar15lpk.htm
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 4:03:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Colt
Colt
Colt
Aero/DD/WOA

the rest are ok

full disclosure, have never used cmmg so cannot comment on those
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 9:27:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 9:32:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Been very happy with my WOA lower parts.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 9:33:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Ive been using CMMG Gun Builders kits and needed an FCG with the last basic rifle build.  I bought a full Anderson LPK with the stainless FCG and was surprised how nice the trigger broke and no gritty feel of most milspec triggers.  Used a purple spring from an ACT and it performed very well.
View Quote
This,

Comes with a bobbed hammer. A little polishing, a set of JP springs, a grip adjuster from Rousch sports and I get some very nice triggers. I think the next one I do I will try a little HOBO oil on the pins, pin bores and the sliding surfaces of the trigger, hammer, disconnector, and springs.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 9:00:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Spikes tactical is what I use. you can get them without the trigger or grip for 40 bucks. or the whole thing for 60
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 9:20:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Spikes tactical is what I use. you can get them without the trigger or grip for 40 bucks. or the whole thing for 60
View Quote
GTG, or I like the alg ones if they're on sale
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 10:46:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Trivial, but I'm curious: what material is "mil-spec" for the mag button, aluminum or steel?

Colt uses aluminum while other highly regarded companies use and suggest steel is the mil specification.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 11:53:28 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

This,

Comes with a bobbed hammer. A little polishing, a set of JP springs, a grip adjuster from Rousch sports and I get some very nice triggers. I think the next one I do I will try a little HOBO oil on the pins, pin bores and the sliding surfaces of the trigger, hammer, disconnector, and springs.
View Quote
+1

I've used their gen1 and gen2 stainless kits.  Both have had very nice triggers out of the box.

I've also used RRA, Aero, DPMS, Midwest Industries, PSA, Apoc Armory, Anderson Stainless Gen 1 and Gen 2.

RRA had the best roll pins (all coil type).
DPMS and Midwest had the heaviest feeling triggers of the group.  All parts were solid.
PSA had a decent trigger but I wasn't a fan of their safety of other small parts.  They are functional but had more asymetrical casting that made them look cheap.
Aero was solid middle of the road.  Average trigger with a little creep but not a heavy pull.  All the parts seemed quality made.  Similar feel to the RRA.
Apoc was OK.  Came in an unbranded bag but with an enhanced trigger guard.  Trigger and hammer springs were a little weak.  Replaced them with Anderson springs from an Oops kit.
Anderson Stainless Gen 1 had clean, light trigger with crisp break.  Reset took a couple repeated cycles to break in, but is now crisp and positive.
Anderson Stainless Gen 2 very crisp trigger.  Feels like a drop in at times.  No break in needed.  So far my favorite out of the box trigger behind my Elftman SE drop in.
I expect that there are more MIM parts in the Anderson kits, but so far I have had no problems with reliability or durability.  (I also noticed S&W parts kits have been using quite a bit of MIM, too).
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 1:01:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 3:26:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Trivial, but I'm curious: what material is "mil-spec" for the mag button, aluminum or steel?

Colt uses aluminum while other highly regarded companies use and suggest steel is the mil specification.
View Quote
If you check out solgw they lost all the specs and their "blaster kits" are able Milspec parts
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 3:27:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
We have a fully customizable LPK that many Arfcomers have been happy with

https://www.righttobear.com/AR15-lower-parts-kits-assemblies-s/1825.htm
View Quote
These are the bomb because you can order exactly what you want and leave out parts you don't need
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 3:56:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

If you check out solgw they lost all the specs and their "blaster kits" are able Milspec parts
View Quote
Indeed.

Yesterday I was comparing 2015/2016 PSA, Sionics and Colt lower parts kits. There is zero difference between them aside from the steel mag button of the Sionics and the location of the markings on the Colt selector (also, no tick). If I were to mix them all in a bag, no one could tell a difference.

I was just curious about the mag button as SOLGW claims milspec is steel; SOLGW, BCM, KAC and Sionics use steel mag buttons while FN, LMT, and Colt use aluminum.

It makes no difference in the end.

To answer OP, if buying today, I'd buy Sionics. They meet the standard of quality I look for in a lower parts kit. Colt also, but they are never in stock. And lastly, my older PSA kits also meet that standard, but due to their volume, I would be hesitant due to differing sources to meet their demand.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 5:03:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 11:39:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
PSA has 2 offerings, from 2 separate sources. 1 kit contains Schmidt Tool components, the other...?

You cannot be sure which you will receive when ordering. PSA has stated that both are sourced from OEM suppliers, but the components are not apples/apples in my experience.

I've gotten out of spec selectors and discos, detents with burrs, and fubar springs in kits from PSA. The good is, PSA will stand behind anything that there is an issue with.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Indeed.

Yesterday I was comparing 2015/2016 PSA, Sionics and Colt lower parts kits. There is zero difference between them aside from the steel mag button of the Sionics and the location of the markings on the Colt selector (also, no tick). If I were to mix them all in a bag, no one could tell a difference.

I was just curious about the mag button as SOLGW claims milspec is steel; SOLGW, BCM, KAC and Sionics use steel mag buttons while FN, LMT, and Colt use aluminum.

It makes no difference in the end.

To answer OP, if buying today, I'd buy Sionics. They meet the standard of quality I look for in a lower parts kit. Colt also, but they are never in stock. And lastly, my older PSA kits also meet that standard, but due to their volume, I would be hesitant due to differing sources to meet their demand.
PSA has 2 offerings, from 2 separate sources. 1 kit contains Schmidt Tool components, the other...?

You cannot be sure which you will receive when ordering. PSA has stated that both are sourced from OEM suppliers, but the components are not apples/apples in my experience.

I've gotten out of spec selectors and discos, detents with burrs, and fubar springs in kits from PSA. The good is, PSA will stand behind anything that there is an issue with.
and then some and too many times.....
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 1:11:10 AM EDT
[#40]
same as lowers. any of them.
Link Posted: 4/16/2019 3:07:27 AM EDT
[#41]
Right to bear kits with the nickel teflon coated trigger group. Great price, and the coated single stage is a significant improvement over standard mil spec.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 12:18:20 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

+1

I've used their gen1 and gen2 stainless kits.  Both have had very nice triggers out of the box.

I've also used RRA, Aero, DPMS, Midwest Industries, PSA, Apoc Armory, Anderson Stainless Gen 1 and Gen 2.

RRA had the best roll pins (all coil type).
DPMS and Midwest had the heaviest feeling triggers of the group.  All parts were solid.
PSA had a decent trigger but I wasn't a fan of their safety of other small parts.  They are functional but had more asymetrical casting that made them look cheap.
Aero was solid middle of the road.  Average trigger with a little creep but not a heavy pull.  All the parts seemed quality made.  Similar feel to the RRA.
Apoc was OK.  Came in an unbranded bag but with an enhanced trigger guard.  Trigger and hammer springs were a little weak.  Replaced them with Anderson springs from an Oops kit.
Anderson Stainless Gen 1 had clean, light trigger with crisp break.  Reset took a couple repeated cycles to break in, but is now crisp and positive.
Anderson Stainless Gen 2 very crisp trigger.  Feels like a drop in at times.  No break in needed.  So far my favorite out of the box trigger behind my Elftman SE drop in.
I expect that there are more MIM parts in the Anderson kits, but so far I have had no problems with reliability or durability.  (I also noticed S&W parts kits have been using quite a bit of MIM, too).
View Quote
When Anderson switched packaging on their lower parts kits is that when they went from gen 1 to gen 11? For sure the next one I'm going to try some Hobo oil which I have sitting here on the lower parts. It was mainly developed for bolt action bolts but it seems to be getting used on everything. This guy doesn't sell it but recommends it.

http://bartsbullets.weebly.com/hobo-oil.html
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 6:10:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
Where are you finding spikes for $40? Just looking.

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 11:12:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

When Anderson switched packaging on their lower parts kits is that when they went from gen 1 to gen 11? For sure the next one I'm going to try some Hobo oil which I have sitting here on the lower parts. It was mainly developed for bolt action bolts but it seems to be getting used on everything. This guy doesn't sell it but recommends it.

http://bartsbullets.weebly.com/hobo-oil.html
View Quote
I think Gen 2 came out a little over a year ago.  Anderson is kind of all over the place when it comes to packaging.  They seem to do at least three different types of packaging on a lot of their stuff: Bulk packaging in plastic bags, basic packaging in cardboard boxes, and retail packaging in full-graphics blister packs.  My gen 2 came in a retail package.  My Gen 1 came in a basic cardboard box.  I've seen Gen 1 kits in retail packaging, too.
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 6:48:32 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 9:14:11 AM EDT
[#46]
you can get aero lpk sans the fcg for less than 25 when rtb or b kings has them on sale.  Actually, I recently bought several from B Kings at 19.99

I honestly don't think you can beat their lpk, dare I say I like them as much as Colt
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 10:33:01 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 1:00:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Schuyler Arms has them sub $20 regularly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
you can get aero lpk sans the fcg for less than 25 when rtb or b kings has them on sale.  Actually, I recently bought several from B Kings at 19.99

I honestly don't think you can beat their lpk, dare I say I like them as much as Colt
Schuyler Arms has them sub $20 regularly.
and they are a great company with a great owner, good people!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 1:25:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I think Gen 2 came out a little over a year ago.  Anderson is kind of all over the place when it comes to packaging.  They seem to do at least three different types of packaging on a lot of their stuff: Bulk packaging in plastic bags, basic packaging in cardboard boxes, and retail packaging in full-graphics blister packs.  My gen 2 came in a retail package.  My Gen 1 came in a basic cardboard box.  I've seen Gen 1 kits in retail packaging, too.
View Quote
How can you tell the difference between gen 1 & gen 2?
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 10:43:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

How can you tell the difference between gen 1 & gen 2?
View Quote
GEN 1 Stainless Anderson

GEN 2 Stainless Anderson
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top