Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2021 8:39:14 PM EDT
So I've got a ton of 9mm ammo. A local gunshop has been bugging me to let them have some of my stash, offering me useless trades, etc. Other than the new Swarovski 115mm STX/BTX spotting scope I've been turned on by, there has been literally NOTHING shooting-sportsy that I want.

But then I just got one of the new S&W 15-22P CarbineAhemIMeanPistols: it needs an optic. I realized I also have an unused Hodge 12.5" 5.56mm upper that has no optic either. Figure I could get something I could try out on both.

Since money isn't really a concern, because I'd just be trading cases of ammo...

What is the newest and coolest dot optic to look at swapping for?

I've already got ACOGs, an MRO, and Aimpoint T/H2's on my guns right now. Got rid of my EO Techs ages ago, but kind of miss the big circle-dot. I would prefer shake-awake feature, maybe solar, super-long battery life, pic-rail mount/riser built in -- or unnecessary, possibly nice to have NV compatibility. (I usually use a DBAL and helmet-mounted NODs for nocturnal critters, so this metric may not be a dealkiller). Not terribly important it's sealed-emitter, but I kind of prefer the square-boxy format a'la Aimpoint Acro vs. the tubey Aimpoint T2 style.

Ultimately, I'd like to try something smaller than what I've been using (but not so super-small field-of-view that I have to eye-hunt for the dot).

I took a browse and thought these were interesting: am I barking up the wrong tree, or missing any choices?

Holosun HE512T-GR
because more rifle-ly and meets all the new-features criteria.
https://www.holosun.com/index/product/detail/id/129.html

SIG Romeo2
because new and interesting.
https://www.opticsplanet.com/sig-sauer-romeo2-red-dot-sights-reflex.html?_iv_code=SD9-RD-SIG228-SOR21300

Holosun 509T-RD
(do those '09s come in green? Or just the 508s?) because small and all the wishlist features.
https://www.holosun.com/index/product/detail/id/117.html

Sig Sauer ROMEO5 XDR Predator Compact Green Dot Sight
because cheap + easy access AA battery + I can be a sucker for a gimmicky triangle reticle that sounds fun.
https://www.blacksheepwarrior.com/sig-romeo5-xdr-green-dot-review/

What else am I missing in the new or soon-to-be-released world of sort-of-carbine-sort-of-pistol smaller dot optics?

Link Posted: 2/3/2021 9:07:56 PM EDT
[#1]
The best would be the Aimpoint T2, M5 or M4s, IMO.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 12:34:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The best would be the Aimpoint T2, M5 or M4s, IMO.
View Quote

THIS!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 3:20:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

THIS!!!!!
View Quote
Well, yeah, but I've already got those and like them fine, but wanted to get something smaller form factor for the 22.

I was leaning 509T, but read some bad reviews and they MIGHT be TOO small. 512 green is interesting in that it gets closer to the EO Tech reticle I miss, but in a smaller package.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 6:10:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Well, yeah, but I've already got those and like them fine, but wanted to get something smaller form factor for the 22.

I was leaning 509T, but read some bad reviews and they MIGHT be TOO small. 512 green is interesting in that it gets closer to the EO Tech reticle I miss, but in a smaller package.
View Quote
I'D go with the 509T. I'd be willing to try it on a rifle and a pistol. If you find it didn't meet your needs, it should sell pretty well.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 8:59:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I think that's where I'm headed. I can't really tell if the rail-grabber mount on the 509T is true picatinny or some modification thereof. So not sure if I'd need an adapter, or what sort of small riser would work or be needed. For the .22 braced pistol, I could probably just mount it super low right on the rail, but for a 12.5 carbine would probably want it up higher.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 2:06:43 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd get the 512t, I love my 509 but wish it was enclosed

Don't get a green reticle
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 4:23:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'd get the 512t, I love my 509 but wish it was enclosed

Don't get a green reticle
View Quote
The 509t is enclosed...
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 4:28:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Romeo5

I have one on my 10/22 td and its fantastic.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 11:52:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Keep the ammo.

Or sell it at current market value. A store will not pay near that.

Then buy what you really want. Don't take a loss by trading for a 'good deal'.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 3:13:22 PM EDT
[#10]
A friend has been selling $10 boxes of Winchester white box to the local gun store for $30 a box.

Know that prior to making any deals. They're selling them for $40.

Aimpoint Pro for 22 boxes of 9mm ($20 a box) would be fair.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 6:53:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Keep the ammo.

View Quote
Yeah, that's what I ended up doing. I was going to be doing them a favor, but the trade difference is just too big.

But now I'm also trying to figure out if the 509T even CAN be mounted to a 1913 rail. Unless I'm missing something, I can't find anyone that makes a riser for it even with a huge sandwich of adapters. I emailed Holosun asking how to make a 509T fit on a 1913 pistol rail, but they haven't written back yet.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 6:59:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Keep the ammo.

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/13/2021 4:40:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Keep the ammo.

x3

9mm going for dam near .90/rd

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top