BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/26/2019 1:48:33 AM EDT
OK, I'm not looking to start a major debate (although I won't discourage it), but I haven't bought magazines in a few years.  Last time I paid any attention to things, MagPul had just release their Gen2 and I decided to go with PMAGs.

Now I'm noticing all kinds of other good looking magazines.  Lancers?  Mission First Tactical?  HexMags?  Amend2?

I know nothing about these new mags, but I don't want magazines that aren't dependable.  I'm not a ninja, but if I ever have to use my gear "for real," I don't want to have to worry about sub-par gear.

Is there a resource out there that stays on top of these new mags?  I'd prefer a standardized process that compares them, instead of just a bunch of hot air from people with opinions.  A website?  A thread here somewhere?   Anything?
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 2:01:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Stick with the Pmag Gen M2. Palmetto State Armory usually will have a code for them and free shipping for 10. I believe they were around $80.00?
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 2:10:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Yup, pmags or surefeed okay mags are all I use with a small amount of GI mags left over from times long ago.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 2:20:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Lancers... Okay... DH... Pmags... they are all GTG...
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 2:30:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
I mostly have Pmags and D&H. Both are GTG.

I did get 10 hexmag series 2 from PA for $65 a month or 2 ago. Heard the series 2 are GTG. I haven't even taken them out of the wrappers yet
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 4:12:47 AM EDT
[#5]
I appreciate the replies, but these kind of replies have been all that I've been able to find.

Is there someplace where they're reviewed and rated?  While I sometimes fall victim to brand loyalty, I'm pretty data driven when it comes to my consumer habits.  I'm willing to try new things, but I like to research first.  I just haven't had any luck finding someplace that actually compares the magazines on the market today.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 4:24:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I appreciate the replies, but these kind of replies have been all that I've been able to find.

Is there someplace where they're reviewed and rated?  While I sometimes fall victim to brand loyalty, I'm pretty data driven when it comes to my consumer habits.  I'm willing to try new things, but I like to research first.  I just haven't had any luck finding someplace that actually compares the magazines on the market today.
View Quote
OK, here is a review of the ones I have been using since they became availble: D&H (BCM, PSA, DSG branded), Gen 2 Pmags, Okay, Colt. These are all excellent, trust my and my family and my friends lives with.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 5:25:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
Mags are pretty simple devices.  They either work, or they don't. It's not like cars or dishwashers where there's a whole bunch of nuances that differentiate brands.

I'm sure some of the newer brands are good, but nothing out there is remotely revolutionary. Again, mags either work, or they don't. I just go with the proven track record - pmags or GI (D&H, Colt, NHMTG, OK, etc).
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 5:50:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Okay's are my go to mag. I also have a few Colt and Gen2 Pmags. All of them function fine. Although I must confess that I replaced/upgraded the springs and followers in the Okays and Colts. All of the above drop free (including the Pmags that I've had for 5 years or more). I bought one MFT to test it out. I can't give an opinion on that one yet because I haven't had the chance to run it like a dog yet. It does drop free though.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 11:47:24 AM EDT
[#9]
USGI 20's & 30's.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 12:56:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
Youtube it... plenty of reviews

Some of us have been at it for decades, so our choices are based on our own personal preferences.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 1:35:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Gen. 3 PMAGs = Lancers > Gen. 2 PMAGs = good USGI mags (D&H, Okay, etc.) > Hexmag Series 2 > MFT = Amend 2
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 3:04:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Youtube it... plenty of reviews

Some of us have been at it for decades, so our choices are based on our own personal preferences.
View Quote
Yeah, youtube works to research one brand at a time, I was hoping there would be somebody out there that is testing 'em all and sharing that info with everyone else.

I really like my PMAGs.  I'm looking to move beyond personal preferences.  I despise the Ford vs. Chevy mentality that has people religiously devoted to a particular brand when there's something better out there, but I see it pop up in myself on occasion.  I find myself recommending a brand that I've liked, when I don't really know if there's a better choice out there now.

And, just because I'm looking for information doesn't mean I haven't "been at it for decades."   I researched and decided on PMAGs 5 years ago (before that it was just USGI mags for me) and have been satisfied with them.  Now I'm needing more magazines and there are MANY more options out there, so I'm trying to research the strengths and weaknesses of all of these new mags.

I'm looking for something like what @Khrome just did: rankings.  Except I'm looking for some sort of data behind those rankings.  Like ConsumerReports does.

Anyone here remember Tactical Yellow Visor's spreadsheet of AR makers?  Rob S would list all of the major brands (there were only a handful back then), and you could see whether the chamber/barrel was chromed, what the rifling was, how they tested their bolts, whether they tested a sample from a lot, or tested every single bolt, whether they properly staked their gas keys, etc...  For most people, it was more information than needed.  Many just wanted to know that Noveske>S&W>Bushmaster.  I liked seeing WHAT was better and what was worse from each manufacturer.  This is the kind of objective information that I'm looking for.  I wouldn't mind seeing torture tests that use a very repeatable process, either (youtube might be great for this, once I narrow things down).

I don't want to know that PMAGs are still more popular than HexMags and purple Lancers, I want to know WHY they are.  Because HexMags and purple Lancers certainly look cooler than plain ol' PMAGs!
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 4:06:35 PM EDT
[#13]
PMags are not expensive and they are reliable. Lancers are a bit more expensive, but also work well. Amend2 is a fairly new company, but their mags seem fine. Okay has been around for decades, their mags are not expensive, and are also reliable.

People tend to stick with what they know works well. So, that's why you see lots of Okay and PMag ownership here. It's probably easier to talk about mags to avoid rather than what's good.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 5:19:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 5:21:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 6:29:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yeah, youtube works to research one brand at a time, I was hoping there would be somebody out there that is testing 'em all and sharing that info with everyone else.

I really like my PMAGs.  I'm looking to move beyond personal preferences.  I despise the Ford vs. Chevy mentality that has people religiously devoted to a particular brand when there's something better out there, but I see it pop up in myself on occasion.  I find myself recommending a brand that I've liked, when I don't really know if there's a better choice out there now.

And, just because I'm looking for information doesn't mean I haven't "been at it for decades."   I researched and decided on PMAGs 5 years ago (before that it was just USGI mags for me) and have been satisfied with them.  Now I'm needing more magazines and there are MANY more options out there, so I'm trying to research the strengths and weaknesses of all of these new mags.

I'm looking for something like what @Khrome just did: rankings.  Except I'm looking for some sort of data behind those rankings.  Like ConsumerReports does.

Anyone here remember Tactical Yellow Visor's spreadsheet of AR makers?  Rob S would list all of the major brands (there were only a handful back then), and you could see whether the chamber/barrel was chromed, what the rifling was, how they tested their bolts, whether they tested a sample from a lot, or tested every single bolt, whether they properly staked their gas keys, etc...  For most people, it was more information than needed.  Many just wanted to know that Noveske>S&W>Bushmaster.  I liked seeing WHAT was better and what was worse from each manufacturer.  This is the kind of objective information that I'm looking for.  I wouldn't mind seeing torture tests that use a very repeatable process, either (youtube might be great for this, once I narrow things down).

I don't want to know that PMAGs are still more popular than HexMags and purple Lancers, I want to know WHY they are.  Because HexMags and purple Lancers certainly look cooler than plain ol' PMAGs!
View Quote
The amount of rounds you'd have to put through each type of mag and the number of guns you'd have to use to make it statistically significant would be HUGE; hence why it's not out there.

That said; the USMC ran a test (discussed below) with good info that should help from a data driven perspective.

Link Posted: 12/26/2019 8:40:40 PM EDT
[#17]
To add to Mrgng’s video above, Garand Thumb did a quick over for Gunmagwarehouse of the magazines he uses, and he definitely puts a lot of rounds downrange. The only thing I would say is missing is that he doesn’t mention Lancers, which I’m pretty sure I’ve seen in some of his videos, and I know GMW sells. I’d also caveat the video by pointing out that he talks about Okay Surefeed mags, but he’s specifically referring to the E2 version with the dimpled sides and new follower. He also speaks favorably of HK steel Maritime mags, which I agree have functioned very well for me, but he doesn’t mention the issues that a lot of people have had with their feedlips bending easily.

The Best AR-15 Magazines | Garand Thumb
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 9:47:40 PM EDT
[#18]
best mags are gen 3 pmags, daniel defense mags, and lancer mags.  these are good stuff.  this month i picked up some new mags,  i got a HK gen 3 poly mag (Kraut space magic...),  looks nice,  fits nice,  cant wait to test this one out.  here is a vid of the gen 3 hk mag compared to a gen 3 magpul mag:

https://youtu.be/PR8XuG9theE

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018/03/13/new-heckler-koch-introduce-gen-3-polymer-magazine/
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 1:56:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The amount of rounds you'd have to put through each type of mag and the number of guns you'd have to use to make it statistically significant would be HUGE; hence why it's not out there.
View Quote
Eh, I'm not looking for statistically or scientifically rigorous tests.  I like stuff like what Sage Dynamics does to red dots.  I remember when MagPul came on the scene, people were comparing them to GI mags and testing them in many different ways:  corrosion tests, impact tests, running over them with cars, dropping them at different angles, etc...  It might be anecdotal, but hard use tests like this, where items are sometimes tested to failure, often reveal the weaknesses of items.

Thanks for sharing the videos, @Mrgunsngear and @3ACR_Scout.  I'll check them out when I get a chance.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 8:32:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
USGI 20's & 30's.
View Quote
Yep. Ole’ 1960s technology.  Frequently bashed on this forum over the few decades I've been here.  They worked back then, they still work today.  They have stood the test of time.  In a few years there will be 60 year old mags out there.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 8:34:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Eh, I'm not looking for statistically or scientifically rigorous tests.  I like stuff like what Sage Dynamics does to red dots.  I remember when MagPul came on the scene, people were comparing them to GI mags and testing them in many different ways:  corrosion tests, impact tests, running over them with cars, dropping them at different angles, etc...  It might be anecdotal, but hard use tests like this, where items are sometimes tested to failure, often reveal the weaknesses of items.

Thanks for sharing the videos, @Mrgunsngear and @3ACR_Scout.  I'll check them out when I get a chance.
View Quote
Such a test was done here.  Lancer won.  There were lots of hurt feelings.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 8:47:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
USGI 20's & 30's.
View Quote
All day long baby! If I can find them at gun shows for under $7 I'll buy. A local pawn shop several towns over has brand new center industry green followers in plastic for $8 per.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 3:41:22 PM EDT
[#23]
All the mags listed are quality... all of them have weaknesses. They are relatively inexpensive pieces of equipment that are meant to be thrown away when they no longer function reliably.

I think the OP is thinking to hard about this.. Buy any of the quality mags listed that work for you, and go shoot.

Me? I buy them all... its one way to easily differentiate what weapons get what mags/loads. My 300's get Lancers, in different colors, based on super of sub sonic ammo load outs. My AR's get similar treatment with different colored Pmags, Okays, etc...
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 9:24:07 PM EDT
[#24]
IMHO Okay/Surefeed aluminum 30 round capacity dry lube finish.  These work, last an extremely long time, combat proven over DECADES nuff said.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 10:21:58 PM EDT
[#25]
These guys put a pretty good case for why PMAGs should be used.  The binary nature of polymer "its fine or its cracked", whereas others can get bent to where they look okay but are not.

https://www.full30.com/watch/MDEyMzA1/wwsd-magazines

They are cheap enough I would say start and buy a couple of each (lancer, pmag, OKAY) and see how you like them, pay particular attention to:
1) do they feed well with whatever ammo you plan to use in YOUR actual guns (obvious)
2) do they feed well when you use them as a monopod (to me, this is extremely important)
3) how hard/easy are they to seat when fully loaded on a closed bolt
4) how much do you care about the ability to see your mag count / ammo type in each mag at a glance (nothing beats a translucent lancer for this)
5) how they fit in your mag pouches
6) do they drop free empty on a locked back bolt, particularly after being loaded and used a while (test how angled upwards you can hold the gun and still get reliable drop free).

Once you decide, then make a bulk buy.  Dedicate specific mags for "storage only" (lets say 16, keep them in wrap) "Serious use only (HD/SD or if you are a competitor in a shooting game" (8) and "range/practice" (8).  Toss any that give you hiccups, these are wear items, and inspect your serious ones regularly for cracks (I had a lancer that started popping a couple rounds out on hard insert, causing a double feed... became a target!

Capacity? I would say to have a couple 10s for sight-ins (or hunting blocked to 5 if that's your thing), then 20/30/40 as you desire... Unless you have a reason default to 30s since they monopod well and are so standard WRT mag pouches and handling.  If you want 20 rounds you can load a 30 to 20, and still use the 10s for the sight in / bench.  Some people insist on using 40s for monopodding I guess that depends on you..  Also some competitions it might really be helpful to have a couple 40s for certain stages and maybe a 20 or two for tight quarters stages).
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 9:55:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
USGI 20's & 30's.
View Quote
I believe in if its not broke dont fuck with it , I've used the above while I was in the Military , the 20rd all work 100% , the 30's now that we can put the magpull followers in them all work 100% , also have Gen 3 P mags , only kind of mags I own and use
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 10:38:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Same as the past few years, USGI aluminum and Gen 3 PMAG. IMO.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 2:15:38 PM EDT
[#28]
USGI 20's & 30's.

Lodge-Poled my only Magpul & Traded her for a Hawken Gun (USGI 30).
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 3:02:12 PM EDT
[#29]
I really like okay surefeed and the new E2 + magpul gen 3.

D&H also work great and are cheap.

I like 20 rd mags as well and shoot a few colts and magpul gen3. After the praise for Brownells usgi mags I purchased 7 20 rd mags and they DO NOT LIKE STEEL ammo.

I blast a lot of wolf steel and I get failure feed and extraction issues from these mags. In fairness I’ve only had this once from brass ammo with these. I don’t think I’d purchase anymore.

YMMV
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 11:41:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Buy a combination of Pmag Gen 3's, Lacer L5AWM's and Okay Indust aluminum mags.

I have never had any issues with any of those.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 12:19:42 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm using pmag gen2 windowed, lancers and hexmags in my rotation. All of them work well. I just stock them up as much as possible so they never wear out. You can't have enough mags in your stash!
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 7:03:28 PM EDT
[#32]
I stick with what is proven and works. Okay Industries, Center Industries & Magpul all in use or have been used by US military. I won't use anything else. No matter how much of a gimmick. Lancer, Hexmag, MFT, etc all gimmick and unproven magazines. I avoid them.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 7:12:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 10:34:46 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
IMHO Okay/Surefeed aluminum 30 round capacity dry lube finish.  These work, last an extremely long time, combat proven over DECADES nuff said.
View Quote
This.  Although, I would not hesitate to buy D&H either.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 2:18:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Just ordered 10 D&H mags from PSA, $8.99 each with free shipping for 10+. I also run M2 P-mags and have been trying out a 6 pack of the ESP mags I got on the EE. No issues so far, only put M193 through them but the work. Also, have 5 Lancer 20rd blemishes from Primary Arms, can't find any "blemishes" and they work fine. Have one in my HD gun now with a couple reloads, life is good.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 3:04:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Magpul PMAGs, Lancer AWMs and ETS mags.

The Magpuls are probably the most reliable - though I will probably never fire enough rounds in my lifetime to really see a difference.

The Lancers are the lightest weight and with metal feed lips, can be stored fully loaded without the need for covers.

The ETS mags are HEAVY for being made of polymer, but are serious tanks. Though I don't torture test my mags, these are nearly indestructable and would be my choice for TEOTWAWKI situation.
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 4:41:02 PM EDT
[#37]
I like D&H and Brownell's aluminum mags in my .308 AR.  The DPMS mags are great but too expensive.

I have a magpul mag and it works fine but I'm just not totally sold on polymer/plastic mags.  Personal preference.
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 12:38:06 AM EDT
[#38]
I have okay, D&H, bravo co,Brownells. All with magpul followers.
Magpul gen 2 and Brownells 20’s.
All work fine. When they quit working they get trashed. I have plenty.
No way I’m going to use old surplus mags.
It’s still salad days.
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 2:42:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yep
And I'll add Brownells to that, and not just because they own the site.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 2:57:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 7:55:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
I know you want to make an informed decision but you seem like you’re definitely overthinking this.

This forum tears through mags quickly and chews up the bad ones in a heart beat. While each of us might have some fan boy for a particular mag most of us recognize the main brand that have been given to you multiple times are very very good to go. Sure, you can get a dud from any manufacturer, overall these are good.

I like pmags because they are battle tested. GI mags are battle tested too but I don’t like that if you drop them and the feed lips bend even a c hair the mag is toast. The gen 3 pmag is basically bombproof.

Like another poster mentioned, it’s not like they each offer twenty different feature sets.  They feed bullets into your rig. Some have slightly different bullet angles but that is mostly to address he new ammo the military uses at full auto. Something I doubt you’re using.

So buy man. Spread your feed lips, go forth into the world, and buy with glee as prices are still cheap. So load up because if the Virginia things gets ugly prices will skyrocket. As the election gets closer prices will go up. If the dems rig the election and Trump loses prices will skyrocket and then they will get banned.

I feel naked and I have a little over 100 AR mags. I’d feel better with 100 more but I’ve got to re-acquire night vision.
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 7:58:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Such a test was done here.  Lancer won.  There were lots of hurt feelings.
View Quote
Really? Tested by whom?  Last I remember Lancer came in last in tests done by the actual military. Lots of hurt feelings.
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 9:17:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Okay (non E2s), D&H or Brownells, all w/magpul followers for me.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 12:37:16 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yep, that's my list right there.
Much like the stock market I think it's wise to diversify when buying mags. I don't fully trust plastic mags to last 50 years the way aluminum mags from Vietnam are still around, but so far pmags are great. I've got 1st Gen, m2, m3 in 30 and 40 flavor. Don't think I've ever had a jamb while using them.
I buy Lancers in clear because I think they look awesome, but they cost to much to stockpile. (For me).
I buy Okay surefeeds (NOT E2s!) And Lancers in 6 packs cheap from botach.
I but D&Hs and Gen m2 pmags from DSG (Defense Solutions Group) cheap in ten packs.
I also use my Cabela's club points to buy pmags for free.

If a guy only owns 1 AR I'd recommend buying at least 3 each of the above brands.

The only other mags to buy are legit USGI, but there are to many brands to list, you have to research them case by case and I don't know any retailer that regularly stocks them, so I just stick with the 4 brands mentioned above.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 1:20:11 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 10:04:49 AM EDT
[#46]
^ That's true.

While not g.i., D&H have been confirmed to have been unit purchased and used downrange.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 11:29:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Dude, you see how nutty the left is today? So the question you have to answer is are you buying for you and your generation or are you buying for the future generations?

All polymer will decompose on a long enough time line. If they are for you then just buy what looks the coolest to you. Magpul, Lancer, ETS, H&K, MFT, D&H, SureFire, Amend2, and anything else are all fine. There would be massive lawsuits if they weren’t. And for every couple of people you hear bad things from is representative of how many mags made that day.

Buy cheap, stack deep.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 1:07:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 4:05:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Dude, you see how nutty the left is today? So the question you have to answer is are you buying for you and your generation or are you buying for the future generations?

All polymer will decompose on a long enough time line. If they are for you then just buy what looks the coolest to you. Magpul, Lancer, ETS, H&K, MFT, D&H, SureFire, Amend2, and anything else are all fine. There would be massive lawsuits if they weren’t. And for every couple of people you hear bad things from is representative of how many mags made that day.

Buy cheap, stack deep.
View Quote
The polymer in Pmags won’t decompose over time.

You have Steyr Aug mags that are probably close to 40 years old now still going strong. Magpul probably uses stronger polymer then even those.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 4:13:04 PM EDT
[#50]
THERMOLD is the answer
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top