Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2020 3:39:47 PM EDT
Who makes the best AR10 for around $1500? I sold off my M1A and have enough for a decent AR10 and a good piece of glass.

ETA: This will be used for training, hunting and as a SHTF battle rifle if ever needed.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 5:00:42 PM EDT
[#1]
What is your intended use for this rifle?  Competition/paper punching?  Hunting? Tackticool?  Blaster?

Ever assemble an AR from scratch?
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 5:27:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Larue ultimate upper kit, along with one of their lowers
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 5:43:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What is your intended use for this rifle?  Competition/paper punching?  Hunting? Tackticool?  Blaster?

View Quote
I updated the original post. This will be used for training, hunting and as a SHTF battle rifle if ever needed.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 6:02:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 6:08:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Could get one of these and have enough for that extra upper....

https://abcrifle.com/american-built-custom-abc-10-ar-308-semi-auto-pistol-12-nitride-barrel-12-hybrid-pitch-cut-mlok.html
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 6:43:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
This or you can piece together an Aero Precision M5 rifle. I did this during the Black Friday sales and put together an awesome rifle for a little over $700
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 7:15:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Go Aero M5. Buy a complete upper. Buy a complete lower or a stripped lower and build kit and M5 enhanced receiver extension completion kit, (IE Buffer Tube, recoil spring, buffer, collar and endplate) Assemble and enjoy.

Sources to look over, (there are others)

Primary Arms - Aero M5 stuff
Brownells - Aero M5 stuff (complete lower, etc)
Direct from Aero Precision
Granite Ridge - Aero Precision M5
Aero Precision Complete M5 uppers
Wing Tactical - Aero Precision

Buy a lower from Brownells via your local FFL. Buy the Carbine stock of your choice for that lower from Brownells. Buy the complete upper from Brownells, PA, Direct from A.P or Granite Ridge Outfitters, Buy a set of BUIS of your choice, IE Magpul, Aero from Wing Tactical, other etc. Buy an LR308/SR25 style mag from somewhere, IE: Primary Arms, Brownells, Etc.  --- Then you are in business.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 8:02:55 PM EDT
[#8]
I can not agree more!

I found this one locally for $1200 ($1600 with the Burris XTR II 5-25x50mm FFP scope)  It had maybe 100-150 rounds thru it from the original owner.  When I bought this gun I had never engaged anything outside of typical hunting range (200-300 yards max).  I took a long range rifle class (Jason with Precision Rifle Hunters in North Texas).  First we sighted the gun in, my load I took was Federal Gold Medal Match 168gr.  At 100 yards it would shoot a 3 shot group with the rounds touching.  I then engaged (and hit) steel targets at 200, 300, 400, 500, 600, 700 and 800 yard ranges recording the DOPE settings from zero for the scope along the way.  I put 100 rounds or so thru it throughout the course of the day at the various ranges.  The rifle (and scope) performed beautifully.  I'm a believer in the Larue Ultimate guns for sure.

Earl

Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 11:11:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Who makes the best AR10 for around $1500? I sold off my M1A and have enough for a decent AR10 and a good piece of glass.

ETA: This will be used for training, hunting and as a SHTF battle rifle if ever needed.
View Quote
LMT!
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 11:22:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 12:53:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Here's another vote for Aero.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 1:54:31 AM EDT
[#12]
I bought an Armalite Def10 for 900 and added a rail and other small things like a stock, grip, silencerco flash hider, ect for under 1500.  Its not a sub moa gun but it is a great all purpose rifle.  Armalite makes a good rifle and I knew it would function right out of the box and if it didn't Armalite would take care of it.  The rest was just personal preference  parts that didn't effect the function.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 9:34:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I can not agree more!

I found this one locally for $1200 ($1600 with the Burris XTR II 5-25x50mm FFP scope)  It had maybe 100-150 rounds thru it from the original owner.  When I bought this gun I had never engaged anything outside of typical hunting range (200-300 yards max).  I took a long range rifle class (Jason with Precision Rifle Hunters in North Texas).  First we sighted the gun in, my load I took was Federal Gold Medal Match 168gr.  At 100 yards it would shoot a 3 shot group with the rounds touching.  I then engaged (and hit) steel targets at 200, 300, 400, 500, 600, 700 and 800 yard ranges recording the DOPE settings from zero for the scope along the way.  I put 100 rounds or so thru it throughout the course of the day at the various ranges.  The rifle (and scope) performed beautifully.  I'm a believer in the Larue Ultimate guns for sure.

https://i.postimg.cc/sfB6TpGM/larue1.jpg

Earl

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I can not agree more!

https://i.postimg.cc/sfB6TpGM/larue1.jpg

Earl

Quoted:
I have an Larue Ultimate Upper kit in 5.56 and love it. One of the most accurate AR's I have. Plus they are about 10 minutes from my house. I may have to take a serious look at it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 9:35:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Go Aero M5. Buy a complete upper. Buy a complete lower or a stripped lower and build kit and M5 enhanced receiver extension completion kit, (IE Buffer Tube, recoil spring, buffer, collar and endplate) Assemble and enjoy.

Sources to look over, (there are others)

Primary Arms - Aero M5 stuff
Brownells - Aero M5 stuff (complete lower, etc)
Direct from Aero Precision
Granite Ridge - Aero Precision M5
Aero Precision Complete M5 uppers
Wing Tactical - Aero Precision

Buy a lower from Brownells via your local FFL. Buy the Carbine stock of your choice for that lower from Brownells. Buy the complete upper from Brownells, PA, Direct from A.P or Granite Ridge Outfitters, Buy a set of BUIS of your choice, IE Magpul, Aero from Wing Tactical, other etc. Buy an LR308/SR25 style mag from somewhere, IE: Primary Arms, Brownells, Etc.  --- Then you are in business.
View Quote
Thank You for the detailed information. I do like Aero stuff so they are a contender for sure.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 10:02:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have assembled four AR-15's from components.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 12:01:02 PM EDT
[#16]
I got my Colt LE 901 16s for $1500 right before Colt stopped selling
They are great rifles
8.4 lbs
Completely ambi
Able to swap uppers to any smaller caliber (unique !)
Good BUIS
Shoots close to MOA with PMC Privi ball ammo
100% reliable and uses P-Mags
Collector gun as mine is 6k serial range and Colt stopped selling
They are $2k now but you may find a used one for less
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 1:46:47 PM EDT
[#17]
I have $1000 into my Frankenstein AR10. It's a lovely AR10 that runs like a champ.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 3:36:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Any thoughts on the PSA AR10 uppers and lowers? They sure are reasonably priced.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 4:21:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Any thoughts on the PSA AR10 uppers and lowers? They sure are reasonably priced.
View Quote
as far as i know, they are still "beta testing" the PSA10 on customers. I'd probably recommend against it
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 10:22:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Beta testing a psa....You can get 2 pa10s and hav e $ leftover maggs.

Think Palmetto cut their teeth and has put out a good product and it is lr308 based for most components of you need replacement parts.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 11:06:04 PM EDT
[#21]
I just got a Daniel Defense DD5V2 308 for 1600.00. Look around, there are some good deals right now.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 11:21:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 1:27:25 AM EDT
[#23]
I am very tempted by the Larue UU kit, going all out extra mag options and suppressor option.  I see other AR10's cheaper, but they just don't do anything for me.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 6:09:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
They are great rifles
8.4 lbs
Completely ambi
Good BUIS
View Quote
Motion seconded.

Also of note is the platform, like the SCAR, was built around being a combat weapon fully capable of running in full auto at high tempo in tough conditions, and then proved itself pretty well despite the limited combat usage seen. It's not just another gucci commercial 7.62 AR.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 11:59:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Motion seconded.

Also of note is the platform, like the SCAR, was built around being a combat weapon fully capable of running in full auto at high tempo in tough conditions, and then proved itself pretty well despite the limited combat usage seen. It's not just another gucci commercial 7.62 AR.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They are great rifles
8.4 lbs
Completely ambi
Good BUIS
Motion seconded.

Reviews on the interweb seem to be mixed, especially that the price is now north of $2K.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 11:18:23 PM EDT
[#26]
F the inter web
It’s 100% reliable
Uses a standard AR rear stock with AR 10 hybrid sized lower
The rails are all usable
It’s SCAR accurate at 100 and I’ve owned BOTH and sold the SCAR it’s not worth $3k with a crappy trigger
It’s 100% Ambi
Go find another AR -10 that has that ? Mag release and bolt release?
And ability to swap to smaller calibers with a $100 mag well adapter and a buffer?
Really?
Yes now they are $2k duh they are not some cobbled together parts kit worth shit in 5 years
They are collector guns that shoot and are fun
I wouldn’t take another SCAR 17 if you gave it to me
This is a really unique gun
Colt was trying very hard to get “out the box” and win a contract
Then in like 2106 the lightened it up by a LB and made it 8.4 empty and I’ve weighed it and it’s correct
I have never wanted an AR -10 because of weight and just heft of things and bought the SCAR and a Geissele
I never felt it was that special for over $3k
I’ve shot them all trust me I’ve had FAL’s, HK-91’s
M1A’s, Galil’s, and I’ve shot AR-10’s
The FAL and this Colt are my two .308’s I’ve kept
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 2:16:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Larue ultimate upper on a ADM UIC lower.

The G2 stuff looks nice, I think MSRP of the adams patrol variants is out of your budget though
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 8:12:28 AM EDT
[#28]
View Quote
I like what they did with the bolt catch/release, it's similar to an xcr or acr. Unfortunately it makes the gun more proprietary than the average dpms lr308 pattern rifle, same with the colt 901. If you are going that direction and don't mind harder to find parts, etc., the POF Rogue is supposed to be out in 2020 at right around your budget.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 8:22:59 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
I have 2. They both have functioned fine with surplus ball, Wolf steel case and PMC Bronze. No cratered/flattened primers, no ejector wipes, no damaged rims. This one I had the stock barrel shortened to 16", changed out the A2 stock for a Brownells A1 with a Tubb buffer spring and a KAK heavy buffer. The other has a Criterion 16" with an A2 fixed front sight with the same stock/buffer set up.

Link Posted: 2/15/2020 6:38:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
F the inter web
It’s 100% reliable
The rails are all usable
It’s SCAR accurate at 100 and I’ve owned BOTH and sold the SCAR it’s not worth $3k with a crappy trigger
It’s 100% Ambi
And ability to swap to smaller calibers with a $100 mag well adapter and a buffer?
Really?
Yes now they are $2k duh they are not some cobbled together parts kit worth shit in 5 years
Then in like 2106 the lightened it up by a LB and made it 8.4 empty and I’ve weighed it and it’s correct
I have never wanted an AR -10 because of weight and just heft of things and bought the SCAR and a Geissele
View Quote
I see you are passionate about the colt, and it sounds like a fine weapon. Just a little far north of my budget. Maybe I should wait until I have the coin. Leaning towards the Larue right now, but still undecided.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 1:35:08 AM EDT
[#31]
If you really want a battle rifle buy an FAL.  They aren't MOA accurate, but they're damned sturdy and fairly reliable.  I owned several but sold and traded them because they weren't accurate enough for my purposes.

These days purt near any AR 10 will suffice for your purposes if you don't need FAL rugged.  Though no longer in business, I bought a DPMS 6.5 Creedmoor I've been shooting for eight years.  It's been a fantastic rifle, both accurate and reliable.

I believe I'm in your AO, so shoot me an IM if you want to pull the trigger on mine a few times.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 3:58:32 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I see you are passionate about the colt, and it sounds like a fine weapon. Just a little far north of my budget. Maybe I should wait until I have the coin. Leaning towards the Larue right now, but still undecided.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
F the inter web
It’s 100% reliable
The rails are all usable
It’s 100% Ambi
Really?
FWIW they should become available again at normal retail prices once Colt resumes sales around EoY. Have to wait though, obviously.

I’ll echo what he says though, the 901 is a sleeper. Not well known, but a really, really fine weapon. Mine’s become my favorite .308 since I got it in 2016.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 3:06:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 10:05:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
If you really want a battle rifle buy an FAL.  They aren't MOA accurate, but they're damned sturdy and fairly reliable.  I owned several but sold and traded them because they weren't accurate enough for my purposes.

These days purt near any AR 10 will suffice for your purposes if you don't need FAL rugged.  Though no longer in business, I bought a DPMS 6.5 Creedmoor I've been shooting for eight years.  It's been a fantastic rifle, both accurate and reliable.

I believe I'm in your AO, so shoot me an IM if you want to pull the trigger on mine a few times.
View Quote
Thank you for the offer. I have an FAL and you're right, its rugged as hell and combat accurate. I just really like the AR platform and want one in a 7.62x51. I owned an M&P awhile back but it sucked. Accuracy was worse than my FAL. Friend of mine loved his M&P.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 10:09:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Thanks. I'll definitely have to check it out.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 9:50:03 AM EDT
[#36]
I have a PSA 10 and no issues so far.

I have a pretty decent round count on it, 600 or so, factory and handloads.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 1:29:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
Ding ding ding
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 11:04:53 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I have 2. They both have functioned fine with surplus ball, Wolf steel case and PMC Bronze. No cratered/flattened primers, no ejector wipes, no damaged rims. This one I had the stock barrel shortened to 16", changed out the A2 stock for a Brownells A1 with a Tubb buffer spring and a KAK heavy buffer. The other has a Criterion 16" with an A2 fixed front sight with the same stock/buffer set up.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/51409/20200201_143722_resized_-_Edited-1258910.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/51409/20200201_143722_resized_-_Edited-1258910.jpg
Interesting retro look
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 11:07:15 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
F the inter web
It’s 100% reliable
The rails are all usable
It’s 100% Ambi
Really?
View Quote
ADM UIC-10.

The caliber swap seems interesting, doesnt that still require the proprietary uppers?

Like the LMT it's an interesting concept except the actual cost of employing it is significant.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 12:47:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I like what they did with the bolt catch/release, it's similar to an xcr or acr. Unfortunately it makes the gun more proprietary than the average dpms lr308 pattern rifle, same with the colt 901. If you are going that direction and don't mind harder to find parts, etc., the POF Rogue is supposed to be out in 2020 at right around your budget.
View Quote
This!
Awaiting it...price point is too good
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 5:35:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
This!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This!
That does sound interesting.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 7:06:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 7:44:40 PM EDT
[#43]
The 901 will accept any AR15 upper with a mag block that’s it
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 6:28:33 PM EDT
[#44]
I have thoroughly enjoyed my POF P308 Edge...Bud's has decent prices on them...they had them on sale for a bit under $1400...
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 7:39:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
ADM UIC-10.

The caliber swap seems interesting, doesnt that still require the proprietary uppers?

Like the LMT it's an interesting concept except the actual cost of employing it is significant.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
F the inter web
It’s 100% reliable
The rails are all usable
It’s 100% Ambi
Really?
ADM UIC-10.

The 7.62 upper is proprietary. It can use any M4 or M16/AR15 spec 5.56 upper with the adapter.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top