Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 9/20/2017 2:36:58 PM EDT
Asked in GD on general opinion of these when I ordered one and it was suggested that once I received it I post here as well. Gambled and bought before posting.

Received the upper 2 days ago, seems well put together. Minor issues - the bayonet lug is oversized and the $20 carry handle...meh, it's worth $20. Less minor, they must test fire with corrosive ammo because I received the upper 3 weeks after factory test fire(according to the date on the QC tag), and the whole bore had a film of rust. That cleaned out with no sign of pitting so while annoying mine was fixable.

Positives, it fits the lower well(80% build I got from my brother) and anodizing is a fair color match. Shot 50 rounds of Tula today using the firing pin it came with and the PSA springs I already had in the lower. No malfunctions and 15 rounds went into a 3.5-3.7 inch group at 100 yards. Could have done better if I'd put more effort into tight groups, and definitely would have shot better with better ammo-overall, for having well under $400 in the rifle I like it(after cleaning).  Bad guys, zombies and coyotes are bigger than 3.7 inches so it should do the job.

I did email BCA about the rust, no response yet but if it gets them to clean/oil the barrels after test firing it's an issue that should be a non-issue in the future. Headstamp on the test fire cases looked like 603, anyone know what that is?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 4:10:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for posting your review.  Looks great.  $199 with BCG is an excellent deal.  A year ago Most of us did not see these low prices coming.

Note Classic Arms has a $199 5.56 16" M4 version as well if anyone is interested.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 4:14:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for posting your review.  Looks great.  $199 with BCG is an excellent deal.  A year ago Most of us did not see these low prices coming.

Note Classic Arms has a $199 5.56 16" M4 version as well if anyone is interested.
View Quote
They also have complete rifles for $399. I was sitting on an unoccupied lower so I saved $200.

As for the prices, even Cabelas had AR15s for $399 last weekend(weekend deal). If a company that's typically overpriced is selling them for $399 I think we'll see entry level rifles for $350 someplace soon.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 4:39:23 PM EDT
[#3]
https://forum.cartridgecollectors.org/t/what-is-this-7-62x39-headstamp/10814
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 4:53:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I am considering buying one, thank you much for the feedback and taking the 'gamble'.  Contemplating the whole package deal for a few bucks more.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 4:56:07 PM EDT
[#5]
With regards to the whole package (complete), wondering if there are any performance review(s).

Considering the complete gun from Bear, but pretty impressed (and the tip to clean out) the upper.  I have a colt sporter in 7.62 X 39, so thinking this might be a good lower to try with a carbine upper... then there's the stock assembly to consider replacing.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 5:04:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I am considering buying one, thank you much for the feedback and taking the 'gamble'.  Contemplating the whole package deal for a few bucks more.
View Quote
I'd have done that if I had to get and build a lower.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 5:47:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought one of these for a friend a couple of weeks ago.  For 200, it is much better than I expected.  Everything looks good and of quality.  I like the way they have the feed ramps cut, wish everyone had them this way in this caliber.
Put it on the lower and it has ran flawless.  I shot a 5 round group at 100 for accuracy, made a 3" group.  That's probably the best I can do with open sights.
I did replace the firing pin with one from Red X, but I do that on all x39 builds.  The RedX was 1/64" longer than the original.
I would buy again or recommend this upper, it impressed me.  For the money it's a sweet deal.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 9:20:42 PM EDT
[#8]
That's weird about the rust. I built several builds using BCA 223 wylde barrels, a while back I checked one and it was completely full of rust!!! I checked the other barrels and all had rust in them, to different degrees. I soaked and scrubbed each several times and they appear unharmed. I wunder how come over parkerized chromemolly barrels don't rust? I have a model 1 sales barrel, no chrome, it is my bumpfire gun, I'm intentionally seeing how long it can go with zero maintenance. I've fired hundreds of rounds over about 2 years without cleaning, never found rust in the bore. I did find rust in a PSA ptac parkerized, or "phosphate" I think they call it, barrel. That barrel had only been sighted in once with brass cased ammo. Shot damn nice to, shot a 5 shot group at fifty with irons that I could cover with a quarter, but I threw it in the corner and forgot about it for a couple months, went to look at it and it was covered in rust in the bore.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 11:06:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Just got my upper 2 days ago. Everything seems good except for the rust in the bore and chamber!

Mine was test fired 4 weeks ago, and I think there is pitting in the bore. I have Mosin's from the 1940's that look similar inside the bore.  I don't know if I should test fire it and see if I can clean it up some or try and get a replacement. I have run a brass brush and several oiled patches down the barrel and it still looks very rough.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 11:10:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Just got my upper 2 days ago. Everything seems good except for the rust in the bore and chamber!

Mine was test fired 4 weeks ago, and I think there is pitting in the bore. I have Mosin's from the 1940's that look similar inside the bore.  I don't know if I should test fire it and see if I can clean it up some or try and get a replacement. I have run a brass brush and several oiled patches down the barrel and it still looks very rough.
View Quote
I was worried mine might be pitted too. Used a bronze brush and CLP for a while, got it as good as possible and hit the range. Checked the bore afterwards and it looked like any other new barrel with no issues. Looks like the rust might be a common issue-wonder why it was never mentioned until mine?
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 3:58:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Test fired my upper and out of 40rds of Tula I had one FTFire, looks like a pretty good primer strike. Round would not fire when tried a second time. I have not picked up any 7.62x39 AR mags yet so I used old GI 20's loaded with 5rds.

Cleaning the barrel after and it seems the rust is 99% gone, I can live with that for the price.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 10:23:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted: I like the way they have the feed ramps cut, wish everyone had them this way in this caliber.
View Quote
What are the odds we could get a picture of these feedramps?
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 10:12:02 AM EDT
[#13]
So I ordered one of these.  $200 for a complete 7.62x39 upper is ridiculous, and I've wanted to play with a 7.62x39 AR for a while.  I have some 7.62x39 sitting somewhere in my stash with nothing to shoot it currently, so that was my excuse

Thanks to @shack357 for starting this thread in AR Variants.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 1:30:07 PM EDT
[#14]
I have the 200$ complete upper as well. Had a few rounds of tula not fire so I got an enhanced firing pin. Replaced the hanguards with an alg. Geissele trigger. Red dot. Adj gas glock and a suppressor. Shoots well. Price was right. I'm happy. I'd def buy another at $200
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 1:48:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Where is a good source for an enhanced firing pin?
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 3:05:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
Got mine at red x arms
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 3:09:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Got mine at red x arms
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Got mine at red x arms
Thanks, one is on order.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 4:33:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Also make sure you have a good hammer spring.  Some of the cheap lower parts kits have some thin and fairly weak springs.

This can change the feel of your hammer and make it feel heavy but also more reliable with some of the foreign ammo.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 4:50:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Also make sure you have a good hammer spring.  Some of the cheap lower parts kits have some thin and fairly weak springs.

This can change the feel of your hammer and make it feel heavy but also more reliable with some of the foreign ammo.
View Quote
Also on order.

Assuming this upper functions like most of the reports (i.e. it works), I'm going to build up a spare Anderson lower I have in the safe for it.  I'll use a PSA lower parts kit with a PSA EPT, but I will most likely replace the standard hammer spring with the Wolff XP spring.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 12:32:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted: I like the way they have the feed ramps cut, wish everyone had them this way in this caliber.
I've got a great pic of the feed ramps.
Attachment Attached File

How about the bore?
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 9:20:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Those feedramps look nice, but that bore looks crusty  What's going on there?
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 10:20:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
They all seem to be coming that way. Mine was rusted like that, was nervous as hell that it would be pitted. Cleaned it and shot it, looks normal now. I was pissed but at least it wasn't permanent. Figured by the time I paid to send it back, waited for a refund, waited some more for an upper to be in stock at PSA and found a BCG it might be springtime, so I kept it.

Added a bayonet lug extension from triple r products to mine last night, meant for oversized lugs-went on perfectly and brings the bayo right to the position it should be.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 12:19:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
They all seem to be coming that way. Mine was rusted like that, was nervous as hell that it would be pitted. Cleaned it and shot it, looks normal now. I was pissed but at least it wasn't permanent. Figured by the time I paid to send it back, waited for a refund, waited some more for an upper to be in stock at PSA and found a BCG it might be springtime, so I kept it.

Added a bayonet lug extension from triple r products to mine last night, meant for oversized lugs-went on perfectly and brings the bayo right to the position it should be.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thise pics are much worse than I was envisioning when I read your earlier comments on some rust.  

Wow.  Hard to believe they are sending out uppers in that condition.  

I'll be sure to break out the bronze brush and CLP ASAP after mine arrives.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 12:25:34 PM EDT
[#24]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/85728/IMG_7925-319298.JPG

How about the bore?
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/85728/IMG_7927-319299.JPG
@Bear_Creek_Arsenal - are you aware of the barrel rust present in at least some of your 7.62x39 uppers?
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 10:40:09 PM EDT
[#25]
if it makes anybody feel any better, i bought the AR Stoner 7.62x39 upper when it was on sale for $299, anyways, the barrel bore has crudded up with rust also, but after a few patches and bronze brushes, it came out real nice.  i inspected it with a bore cam, it's real nice, no evidence of rust damage.  looks perfect.

i thought the $299 AR Stoner deal on the 7.62x39 upper was cheap, until i read this thread with $200 uppers, now i feel like an dummy.  but, it does come with an A2 FSB, which is what i wanted.  getting it shortened to 14.5, pin & weld, etc.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 3:58:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
@Bear_Creek_Arsenal - are you aware of the barrel rust present in at least some of your 7.62x39 uppers?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/85728/IMG_7925-319298.JPG

How about the bore?
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/85728/IMG_7927-319299.JPG
As usual, Google search AFTERWARDS confirms I should've researched FIRST. Everyone else knew it's a known problem with Bear Creek.
I emailed these pics to Classic, who forwarded them to BC and copied me.
Crickets.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 8:01:12 PM EDT
[#27]
So how long does it take Classic Firearms to ship?  

I placed my order on the morning of the 27th, but as of COB Friday 29th the status was still "packing"?  I'm guessing this will be the best packaged upper ever shipped

After learning the rusty barrels I considered cancelling my order, but the low price of $200 win out.  No way I could put together a 7.63x39 upper at that price tag.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 9:25:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

As usual, Google search AFTERWARDS confirms I should've researched FIRST. Everyone else knew it's a known problem with Bear Creek.
I emailed these pics to Classic, who forwarded them to BC and copied me.
Crickets.
View Quote
I emailed Bear Creek myself two days after I got the upper, never heard a thing.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 9:25:54 PM EDT
[#29]
I thing mine shipped within 4 working days, in hand within 8.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 10:56:22 AM EDT
[#30]
You guys paying $200 for a complete upper and then complaining about crud in the bore -
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 11:38:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
You guys paying $200 for a complete upper and then complaining about crud in the bore -
View Quote
They are, I'm guessing it's because the vendor didn't list the rusty bore's and chambers as a feature, function or benefit.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 11:50:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
If a gun or part is advertised as new, it shouldn't be rusty.

Fuck, I had a Blackthorne kit once-even that one wasn't rusted. 70 year old Enfields that shot a steady stream of corrosive ammo for 2/3 of that? I've gotten great bores. But an AR15 upper test fired three weeks before I received it looked like the bore had been filled with saltwater.

A bore swab with some oil on it would be three minutes of labor(including reassembly), would prevent the issue altogether, and increase the price of the thing by $4 at most.

ETA-not to mention, it's not just "some crud"-it was actual, active RUST. Fouling and dirt-I wouldn't have even rolled my eyes, much less mentioned.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 12:09:15 PM EDT
[#33]
I received my shipping notice today, so should have my sewer pipe barrel in hand before the end of the week

It sounds like Bear Creek is using old, corrosive 7.62x39 to test fire and then letting the barrels sit, hence the rust (not crud, but rust).

A quick swipe with a Windex saturated patch followed by a CLP patch would probably go a long ways towards mitigating the rust.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 8:01:23 PM EDT
[#34]
I got a BC 7.62x39 upper a couple weeks ago and it had no rust or other issues.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 9:03:20 AM EDT
[#35]
Got my return shipping email/Info. My upper is off to Bear Creek. Let’s see what comes back.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 9:09:03 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I received my shipping notice today, so should have my sewer pipe barrel in hand before the end of the week

It sounds like Bear Creek is using old, corrosive 7.62x39 to test fire and then letting the barrels sit, hence the rust (not crud, but rust).

A quick swipe with a Windex saturated patch followed by a CLP patch would probably go a long ways towards mitigating the rust.
View Quote
I received mine with 3 empty Steel Tula 7.62x39 cases they shot through it to test. I purchased the whole rifle from them though.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 9:10:03 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I emailed Bear Creek myself two days after I got the upper, never heard a thing.
View Quote
Good luck. That is normal for them.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 9:23:05 AM EDT
[#38]
My upper arrived yesterday.  Out of the box I could tell the barrel was rusty.  Not as bad as some pics in this thread, but definitely there.  

The first solvent patch I pushed down the barrel came out a solid rust red color.

More than a few cycles of bronze brush, solvent and patches resulted in, as far as I can tell, a clean barrel with a mirror smooth surfaces and no signs of pitting.

Not a great way to start off, but for $200 I'm okay with it, assuming of course the upper is good to go as far as operation.

I'm going to replace the firing pin in the bolt with an enhanced firing pin, slap it on a lower from another rifle add an optic and hopefully get it out for a quick range session on Friday.  I'll report back when I have a chance to fire it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 2:00:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Got my return shipping email/Info. My upper is off to Bear Creek. Let’s see what comes back.
View Quote
Your new one will probably come in rusty. I think I am just going to get them to send me a new barrel and re-barrel the upper myself. I am afraid that any 7.62x39 replacement upper they send will be rusty, as well. This is based on the fact I have gotten more than one of these uppers (ordered weeks apart) that came in rusty.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 2:01:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
More than a few cycles of bronze brush, solvent and patches resulted in, as far as I can tell, a clean barrel with a mirror smooth surfaces and no signs of pitting.
View Quote
How did your chamber look after cleaning?

I have a couple of these uppers will rusty barrels. I cleaned one of them. The chamber is still very rough possibly pitted. The bore looks pretty good from what I can tell.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 2:57:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I have a couple of these uppers will rusty barrels. I cleaned one of them. The chamber is still very rough possibly pitted. The bore looks pretty good from what I can tell.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe the chamber looks fine now.

On my quick inspection last night the chamber seemed to have only a speckling of surface rust in some places, and the bore looked "matte" in finish (leading me to belief also surface rust).  Mine did not look as bad as the picture posted earlier in this thread.  

However, I didn't really take the flashlight to it very carefully as I was limited on time and concentrated on cleaning until the patch came out white, so I'll give it a more careful inspection and report back.

I've been considering picking up a cheap bore scope that I can hook up to my iPhone, and this might be a great excuse to go ahead and grab one.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 3:26:03 PM EDT
[#42]
My chamber looks like it had been sitting in a pool of saltwater for a week, then rotated and left to sit for another week. Pretty bad. I have purchased MANY 7.62x39 barrels that were made by Bear Creek and I have NEVER seen any rust on any upper or barrel from any manufacturer.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 4:11:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
My chamber looks like it had been sitting in a pool of saltwater for a week, then rotated and left to sit for another week. Pretty bad. I have purchased MANY 7.62x39 barrels that were made by Bear Creek and I have NEVER seen any rust on any upper or barrel from any manufacturer.
View Quote
I'm guessing QC has gone out the window at Bear Creek as a cost cutting measure.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 5:00:26 PM EDT
[#44]
I'm sure whoever test fired the uppers just popped three rounds of corrosive ammo and called it good. They might not know it was corrosive, or they might not know that corrosive ammo will corrode the barrel.

Anyway, they need to get out in front of this. People are mainly buying these because they are cheap. Skeptical enough due to the price. And when you get a full-on rusted barrel if only solidifies the "you get what you pay for" adage.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 6:11:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I'm sure whoever test fired the uppers just popped three rounds of corrosive ammo and called it good. They might not know it was corrosive, or they might not know that corrosive ammo will corrode the barrel.

Anyway, they need to get out in front of this. People are mainly buying these because they are cheap. Skeptical enough due to the price. And when you get a full-on rusted barrel if only solidifies the "you get what you pay for" adage.
View Quote
I agree.  To be honest, before this transaction I had the impression Classic Firearms was shady and Bear Creek was bottom of the barrel.  Nothing about this experience has done anything but reinforce those impressions.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 6:19:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I agree.  To be honest, before this transaction I had the impression Classic Firearms was shady and Bear Creek was bottom of the barrel.  Nothing about this experience has done anything but reinforce those impressions.
View Quote
Bear Creek manufactures a great product. They make a lot of quality stuff and this has slipped through the cracks of the QC process. Many people do not know that they make all of Anderson's barrels. This was confirmed to me when I asked a rep from Anderson at SHOT Show 2017. Yes, the barrels are cheap, but they are a great value.

That being said, somebody messed this one up. Whether or not it was corrosive ammo or the barrels were rusted before assembly, it to be determined. One thing that is weird to me is that nothing else on the upper is affected. The barrel extension, bolt face, etc, are all free of corrosion or rust.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 8:11:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Bear Creek manufactures a great product. They make a lot of quality stuff and this has slipped through the cracks of the QC process. Many people do not know that they make all of Anderson's barrels. This was confirmed to me when I asked a rep from Anderson at SHOT Show 2017. Yes, the barrels are cheap, but they are a great value.

That being said, somebody messed this one up. Whether or not it was corrosive ammo or the barrels were rusted before assembly, it to be determined. One thing that is weird to me is that nothing else on the upper is affected. The barrel extension, bolt face, etc, are all free of corrosion or rust.
View Quote
Maybe they had a lower than normal priced contract with Classic, got behind, and someone realized "oh shit, we've got to get these uppers together and sent"-still no excuse but might explain how it happened.

ETA-and that was my experience too, only the bore had rust. Put it up after that first range trip(been a busy couple weeks) but pulled the BCG yesterday and checked things out. After shooting 50 rounds of Tula and putting it away without cleaning, there's no sign of rust returning. Doesn't change the fact that my next cheap upper will be a PSA.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 12:11:49 AM EDT
[#48]
@jonblack,

I checked the chamber, bolt & carrier carefully under strong light, and no signs of rust.  The chamber cleaned up well, and I don't think there was ever a speck on the bolt.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 11:24:16 AM EDT
[#49]
I have two of these 7.62x39 uppers right now.

This one is untouched

Attachment Attached File

This one I cleaned with a patch, bore brush, Hoppe's #9, and a chamber brush.
Attachment Attached File

Using a pick I believe I can still feel the roughness. A round dropped into the chamber "plunks" nicely so it may fire just fine.

ETA: the above pics are NOT the same barrel. That is two separate barrels. One of them I cleaned and the other I did not.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 1:23:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I have two of these 7.62x39 uppers right now.

This one is untouched

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/118450/barrel-rust-001-325790.JPG

This one I cleaned with a patch, bore brush, Hoppe's #9, and a chamber brush.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/118450/barrel-rust-002-325792.JPG

Using a pick I believe I can still feel the roughness. A round dropped into the chamber "plunks" nicely so it may fire just fine.
View Quote
That chamber does appear to have some damage to the surface from the rust.  The one place one you really want a smooth surface...I'm curious how Bear Creek resolves this issue with you.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top