Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/29/2022 9:44:55 AM EDT
I see the Vickers stuff mentioned frequently and have heard it's one of the best.  

I saw a Magpul sling that seemed pretty nicely made.

But....I have never really 'used' a sling.  I'm definitely the opposite of HSLD.   My whole shooting life, my rifles/carbines/bullpups have been of the 'throw it in the car in the case, go to the range, then go home' type.

Not sure on what would be the most comfortable way to attach/wear the sling.

I think 2 point, but at least one of my 'pistols' has a single QD hole, so I might want to try a single point (for range use).

But...when you watch the Kyle Rittenhouse videos you see the need for a sling, and understand that if you ever have to use the firearm, you really should have a sling on it (and it had better be on it already, and you should practice with using it in case things happen quickly).

I have one or two firearms that I'd pull out if there was a real need to have a loaded long-arm on my body or within arms reach for any period of time (and I realize the need for real training, not just range time).  

So I'm looking for some advice on a few, inexpensive slings to try out.   Once I get a feel for how I like them mounted on the 'good' carbines, I'll get a much higher quality sling of the same design for permanent use and move those cheaper 'trial' slings to range carbines.

Any suggestions on inexpensive slings to try and mounting options?

Thanks!

Link Posted: 7/29/2022 10:17:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 10:57:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Buy once, cry once.

There really isn’t any difference in the sling mounting that would prevent you from trying different configurations with an inexpensive versus expensive sling, so an inexpensive sling would be a waste IMO:  get the Vickers/Blue Force Gear and experiment with it.

To get you started:

1.  2-point; singles aren’t very practical/useful.
2.  Decide which style of hardware based on your rifle’s configuration or planned configuration (i.e. QD sockets, MASH hooks, HK hooks, etc.).  QD is probably the most versatile.
3.  My preference is to attach the forward end as far forward as possible and the back end and the opposite side (away from your cheek) of the stock
4.  While a “quick adjust” feature isn’t mandatory, they’re very handy and at least partly why the Vickers/BFG slings are relatively expensive.
5.  I prefer unpadded; makes for a more streamlined installation and it’s easier to roll up and stow, both on and off the weapon.
View Quote

Excellent points.  Thank you.

I may not get the Vickers sling for the cheap/range builds, but might look for a similar design and mount the same way I do on more serious rifles.

I have a PTR 9CT with a Brace..it has a single QD hole.   I figured maybe the single point for that.    

I did some research on Single vs. 2 points and just about everyone agrees with you on the single point (floppy, hard to move around with it just hanging and wobbling)

Thanks again!

Link Posted: 7/29/2022 12:52:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Going to show my "Newbieness' again (and that IS a legitimate word if it's used enough) what is the difference between a 2 point sling and a 3 point sling? Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 1:05:44 PM EDT
[#4]
The vickers has one big advantage, if you sling up tight for service rifle or rifle in general, the ability to loosen it by pulling a tab rather than fumbling around is great.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 4:36:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Going to show my "Newbieness' again (and that IS a legitimate word if it's used enough) what is the difference between a 2 point sling and a 3 point sling? Thanks.
View Quote

Here’s a summary I found
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 9:02:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Citizen Gear Co slings are affordable, high quality slings made by a member here. They start at $20.00 for their most basic model.

Citizen Gear Co
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 9:27:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quick adjust two point like Viking Tactics, Blue Force Gear VCAS and Boonie packer are the way to go.

Boonie packer is inexpensive
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 1:21:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 3:03:02 AM EDT
[#9]
You can usually find Vickers slings on the EE or Ebay for a very reasonable price. There are other options bit when I think simple, durable, and proven, it's VCAS.

I'm also a fan of the Spiritus sling but would never hesitate to use what is still the benchmark.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 11:05:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Forward Controls CSF. I find it excellent for smaller carbines, pistols, SBR’s

Larue padded sling is still my fav for everything else.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 11:14:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Flatline fiber co
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 11:19:40 PM EDT
[#12]
I tried the ARStoner basic slings from Midway.

Bought a bunch in tan.

1.5” and do the job for $10.

Just remember to tape your ends no matter what you buy.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 11:25:10 PM EDT
[#13]
I have both the magpul ms3 and blue alpha vickers padded and I much prefer the vickers. so much so I bought one for all my guns. that’s not to say the magpul isn’t nice, I just really prefer the vickers.

one nice aspect about the ms3 is the potential to try out 2 point and one point slings. as previously mentioned, 1 point isn’t very practical, unless you’ve chopped your balls off. but the quick adjust method is lacking in 2 point configuration vs the vickers.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 11:25:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Forward Controls CSF. I find it excellent for smaller carbines, pistols, SBR's

Larue padded sling is still my fav for everything else.
View Quote
I love my Larue padded sling. stuck the vickers on my bass guitar. Have a slingster thats ok on my other rifle.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 5:38:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The vickers has one big advantage, if you sling up tight for service rifle or rifle in general, the ability to loosen it by pulling a tab rather than fumbling around is great.
View Quote

The Vickers sling is not legal for service rifle competition. You need to use a leather M1907 or the cotton M1 rifle sling.
Jon
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 7:05:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Flatline fiber co
SOB tactical B-sling
Edgar Sherman Design
Ferro concepts slingster
Proctor sling
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 2:16:37 PM EDT
[#17]
I like the blue force VCAS. I agree that buying cheap with the intention of just replacing it is a waste of money. Someone mentioned the viking tactical. I have 1 and it's getting replaced with another VCAS. it works well and I have no issue with it's function, but overall it just feels cheap. If you're going to spend the money you might as well get something that gives you the impression your money was well spent.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 9:59:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Go into this knowing that you are probably going to have to try several different types/brands of slings before you find your jam.  The EE is the best place to populate your sling drawer.

So many good choices now it just comes down to personal preference.
Link Posted: 8/26/2022 8:07:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Just get a vcas. They’re GI for a reason.

Attach at the end of the stock, and at the receiver end of the handguard.

Single points are generally not good on regular ARs.

3 points were amazingly stupid 20 years ago. I never understood what that was about. Haven’t even seen one in over ten years.
Link Posted: 8/27/2022 2:51:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The Vickers sling is not legal for service rifle competition. You need to use a leather M1907 or the cotton M1 rifle sling.
Jon
View Quote
And that's retarded.

Relative for OP though, I've been quite pleased with the Magpul RLS which is a nylon "web" type sling in an M1907 type configuration. I just want it to be about ~5" longer when attached at base M4 points.
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 5:57:48 AM EDT
[#21]
BFG VCAS. it is the gold standard. Plus you can get them custom built which is neat.

Single points are great at destroying your junk

3 points are fantastically complex

Get the VCAS.
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 10:23:43 PM EDT
[#22]
The cheapest so far 2 point sling are the USGI silent black nylon with two black metal buckles, very basic but durable.

The next one are the adjustable USGI slings used on M1 Garands and M-14 rifles, they have an adjustable buckle, usually cotton or nylon webbing, I prefer the nylon webbing, different colors available. I use this on my M-16A2/ A4 rifle clone.

I also have a Magpul MS1 basic sling at an affordable price and it it quick adjustable, I could also upgrade it with different Magpul attachment points later on.

The Blue Force Gear Vickers model have a basic model that have a lower price than their more loaded models, when you add heavy duty push button quick detachable sling swivels and other quick release adapters, then the price goes up.

I have a padded LaRue Tactical two point sling made for them exclusively by Viking Tactics, it have a thinner, softer webbing than the Vickers, I use it for my heavy barrels carbines.

There are two design types of quick adjustable 2 point slings, there is one that the tail end gets longer and hangs out longer as you tighten the sling.

The other type have no tail that gets longer when you tighten the sling to your body, the tail is kept inside of the sling.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 9:38:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Citizen Gear Co slings are affordable, high quality slings made by a member here. They start at $20.00 for their most basic model.

Citizen Gear Co
View Quote

Thanks! You just sold a sling for them!
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 7:21:28 PM EDT
[#24]
I'll add another recommendation for citizen gear co.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 1:20:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Citizen Gear Co

Me Too!  Arrived last week.  It is on my GO TO rifle seems good.
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 10:58:05 AM EDT
[#26]
For just a basic carry strap, USA Slings has a varied color selection:

http://www.usaslings.com/
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top