Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/14/2022 10:24:51 AM EDT
I’ve been kicking around a REECEish build, I’m doing a 16” middy, but I have been going back and forth between CHF and stainless. On the CHF I’m looking at Noveske but on stainless I’m looking CLE, or Centurion. I’m looking for some increased range coyotes this winter, both have negatives and positives I just can’t not find where one out classes the other. It will run match grade or hand loads with 77 grain SMK’s. Thoughts?
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 12:35:58 PM EDT
[#1]
People site longer longevity with CHF and better accuracy on SS.  
Take a look at the Noveski  Afghan 14.5 ML. SS. It Love’s 77 grain pills.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 12:46:25 PM EDT
[#2]
On a coyote gun I don't see you burning the barrel out anytime soon. If you're going to the trouble of loading match grade bullets, might as well go with a quality stainless barrel.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 1:44:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I wouldn’t overthink it…

I’m not a hunter.. nor a tier 1 sniper… but my 20yrs old mass produced Colt hbar can group 1moa-ish easily with factory Hornady 75gr

Both options offer quality barrels.. get what you think will fit your needs best in terms of reliability & corrosion resistance based on your environment
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 5:53:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Both will be fine. CLE makes the best of the best and I've never heard anything bad about noveske either. Barrel life vs accuracy is your dilemma. Choose what you think is more important and go from there. Remember that rate of fire eats a barrel a lot faster than round count does so look at your shooting style and be the judge of that. If you mag dump a lot go with the chf. If you take slow precise shots go with the stainless. The CLE with a criterion or Douglass blank are really good shooters for the money. Also don't skip over white oak armaments 16" spr barrels if you can find them in stock.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 7:11:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I’ve got enough 14.5’s and a about as exact MK12 MOD 0 as you can get short of a issued one. I’m looking at getting a 16” to reach a little further than both my14.5 one is Afghan and the other a DD. Obviously the MK12 is stainless. My mag dump days are over, but I’m looking at another do all rifle like my others (MK12 excluded) I’d like it lighter weight, but I want accuracy. I do reload a M262 clone, but I also have bought allot of M262 as well as IMI 77 grain Razor Core. I’m more concerned with barrel life and accuracy. I won’t be abused but it will be used. It will also be suppressed 99% of the time. In these interesting times we live in I also have some small amounts of M855A1 as well MK318, not allot but some. I guess my real question being I’m not a sniper, or a target shooter but in the spring and early summer do allot of ground hog hunting and coyote hunting once we get some fall rain or snow due to the extreme fire danger this time of year.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 7:30:45 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a couple CHF Centurions, a CHF Noveske, and a Centurion Recce barrel. The Centurion CHF barrels slightly edge out the Noveske in accuracy, but the Noveske is still excellent. The stainless Recce barrel is the most accurate, but for my uses it’s not a big enough difference to give up the durability of CHF. Also another thing that comes to mind is the Centurion barrels are gassed better. They’re all 14.5s mids, and the Centurions have .075 gas ports, and the Noveske .081 IIRC. It’s noticeable shooting full power 556, especially something like A1 or Mk318. I don’t think you can go wrong with any of them, as they’re all great shooters.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 11:45:47 PM EDT
[#7]
What about a white oak spr barrel?
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 1:26:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Given that the price of the ammo today necessary to burn out an AR15 barrel far exceeds ( by a factor of at least 10x) the cost of a new barrel, it's foolish to buy a barrel in today's market that's primary virtue is longevity.  

Few of us are gun range owners that rent AR's or have access to full auto AR's. A quality stainless barrel is all 98% of us will ever need.  If your in the lucky 2% buy CHF barrels and rock on.  IMHO and YMMV
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 1:59:35 PM EDT
[#9]
The LaRue Stealth barrel is a nice choice.  I installed one for my sister's boyfriend, and he shoots loads of woodchucks.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 9:55:33 PM EDT
[#10]
If I have a choice, stainless steel every time for me.  I don’t shoot my barrels hot and I am not interested in sustained suppression fire or goofy mag dumps.  I want the most accurate barrels I can afford so I go with stainless blanks along with a fantastic barrel maker that can give me a barrel that wrings out every last bit of accuracy the barrel has to offer.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 7:44:59 AM EDT
[#11]
I essentially have the rifle that you’re wanting to build, 16” general purpose that’s also used for hunting (primarily coyotes at the moment).  I went with a WOA SS barrel.  I will say, it’s not light and I’m not sure if WOA offers any of their barrels in a lighter profile.  That said, lighter barrels generally suffer from greater POI shift between suppressed and unsuppressed, IME, so may be a factor to consider.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 9:49:50 AM EDT
[#12]
I agree, WO spr barrel, JP bolt, G-hi speed trigger and Vortex 1-6.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 8:59:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I essentially have the rifle that you’re wanting to build, 16” general purpose that’s also used for hunting (primarily coyotes at the moment).  I went with a WOA SS barrel.  I will say, it’s not light and I’m not sure if WOA offers any of their barrels in a lighter profile.  That said, lighter barrels generally suffer from greater POI shift between suppressed and unsuppressed, IME, so may be a factor to consider.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/294984/D0DC2D8B-2EFC-4AFF-A692-B58A67A4B425_jpe-2493475.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/294984/D0DC2D8B-2EFC-4AFF-A692-B58A67A4B425_jpe-2493475.JPG

Quoted:
I agree, WO spr barrel, JP bolt, G-hi speed trigger and Vortex 1-6.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/751/29CCED32-CB2E-47F6-85A9-01C5A7034C78_jpe-2493573.JPG

Yes, these are exactly what I’m wanting to build. I have enough 14.5’s,  but I would like something lighter and more maneuverable then my MK12. My thoughts behind the CHF was it would probably already outshoot me, but I’ll be honest the shots I’ve done with the MK12 are confidence inspiring. I will look at both White Oak and CLE. I think my biggest concern has been weight, if I did a SPR barrel I could put the OPS on it, or go with a whole suppressor setup.

ETA, what’s a good place or should I say best recommended place to get a stainless Douglas?
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 3:19:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Best place to get a stainless Douglas is Compass Lake. Their recce profile at 16" is good and you can choose the blank of either douglas or criterion. As for the chamber the CLE chamber is supposed to be a little better for groups but it has a tighter throat than a wylde so do your own research into that.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 3:26:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I’ve got enough 14.5’s and a about as exact MK12 MOD 0 as you can get short of a issued one. I’m looking at getting a 16” to reach a little further than both my14.5 one is Afghan and the other a DD. Obviously the MK12 is stainless. My mag dump days are over, but I’m looking at another do all rifle like my others (MK12 excluded) I’d like it lighter weight, but I want accuracy. I do reload a M262 clone, but I also have bought allot of M262 as well as IMI 77 grain Razor Core. I’m more concerned with barrel life and accuracy. I won’t be abused but it will be used. It will also be suppressed 99% of the time. In these interesting times we live in I also have some small amounts of M855A1 as well MK318, not allot but some. I guess my real question being I’m not a sniper, or a target shooter but in the spring and early summer do allot of ground hog hunting and coyote hunting once we get some fall rain or snow due to the extreme fire danger this time of year.
Thanks.
View Quote

If you see a marked difference going from 14.5 to 16 I would be very surprised. If you want to see any range gains you better do an 18 or 20.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 11:57:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

If you see a marked difference going from 14.5 to 16 I would be very surprised. If you want to see any range gains you better do an 18 or 20.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks.

I have my MK12 so the 18” is covered. What I’m thinking is something I don’t have to do a pin and weld or go SBR like my others. I’m not sure if there will be any big gain and most likely not, but like I said it’s the only barrel length I don’t have, and I’d like to sit down, my 14.5’s are CHF so this would be shorter, lighter and handier then the MK12.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 12:11:11 PM EDT
[#17]
I own both.

I will say that most people buying CHF aren't shooting enough rounds to see a difference in longevity.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 2:38:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Best place to get a stainless Douglas is Compass Lake. Their recce profile at 16" is good and you can choose the blank of either douglas or criterion. As for the chamber the CLE chamber is supposed to be a little better for groups but it has a tighter throat than a wylde so do your own research into that.
View Quote

I’m leaning CLE chamber, and a Douglas , I have read up on both the SPR and REECE profile and correct me if I’m wrong but I’m seeing is the SPR is basically the same except it’s profiled for the OPS collar?
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 5:59:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I’m leaning CLE chamber, and a Douglas , I have read up on both the SPR and REECE profile and correct me if I’m wrong but I’m seeing is the SPR is basically the same except it’s profiled for the OPS collar?
View Quote

To your question, yes spr has the ops profile for the ops/Allen collar/suppressor, only difference

If you want Douglas

https://compasslake.com/product/ready-to-ship-tactical-3/

And I’ve read that the cle chamber can be a little to tight sometimes, the above barrel is a Wylde chamber.
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 1:51:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

The recce is the same dimensions as the SPR but won't take the Allen Engineering suppressor collar. As for the CLE chamber I would only recommend it if you are loading all of the ammo you plan on shooting through the barrel because it has a shorter and tighter throat. The 23% smaller groups that they claim seems like a bit of over exaggeration.
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 2:32:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The recce is the same dimensions as the SPR but won't take the Allen Engineering suppressor collar. As for the CLE chamber I would only recommend it if you are loading all of the ammo you plan on shooting through the barrel because it has a shorter and tighter throat. The 23% smaller groups that they claim seems like a bit of over exaggeration.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A shooting buddy of mine went with the CLE chamber and said what you said, he’s a former AMU shooter and said that while it has slightly better groups in his honest opinion the trade off isn’t worth it for what I envision. He said it’s worth it if your supporting your rifle mechanically you’ll notice it, but on moving targets supported by yourself you won’t. He also said that on the off chance a round isn’t exact or cheaper ammo your chances of sticking go up. He said he has not had and stick yet but he’s seen on some brass marks that appear the case was pulled out under stress. He said he’d go Wylde and not look back. “Quit over thinking it”, was as also stated. Guess I’m going Wylde. I’ll probably go with the SPR as I do have a OPS 12th Model and a extra collar and brake, as a option in addition to my M4 2000 or Surefire.
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 3:04:23 PM EDT
[#22]
LaRue 16” middy and MBT-2S trigger for $299… great price. Mine showed up on my doorstep 4-5 days after ordering it.

https://www.larue.com/products/larue-accuracy-package/
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 4:15:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Barrel life, no matter the material or who makes it, is only about 3-5 seconds any way.
Jon
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top