Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2020 11:36:11 AM EDT
Jig from BRD Enterprises the way to go? Looks like that and an 11/64 carbide drill bit is the ticket.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 12:36:24 PM EDT
[#1]
BRD jig and the drill size you referenced work fine.  I've done quite a few barrels with that jig.  You probably already know this; but buy the jig with center distance that corresponds to the gas block you are using.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 7:25:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Check jig hole centers across the diameter between gas hole locater screw and drill holes.  Search for the KAK thread.  Can't hurt, quick check
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 11:03:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
BRD jig and the drill size you referenced work fine.  I've done quite a few barrels with that jig.  You probably already know this; but buy the jig with center distance that corresponds to the gas block you are using.
View Quote
@AvalonRifle

How can I tell which one that is? Looks like there is more than one jig with a reference to Geissele in the description. I see one for $90 and another for $55.

It’s a little confusing for a novice. You’re saying I need to measure the center-to-center distance of the set screw channels on the gas block I plan to install and that is what determines which jig to purchase?
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 11:13:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Buy one that will work with damn near all GB.

SLR
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 11:22:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

@AvalonRifle

How can I tell which one that is? Looks like there is more than one jig with a reference to Geissele in the description. I see one for $90 and another for $55.

It’s a little confusing for a novice. You’re saying I need to measure the center-to-center distance of the set screw channels on the gas block I plan to install and that is what determines which jig to purchase?
View Quote
@FP2000H

For a novice, you are asking the proper questions.  Yes, that's exactly what you need to do.  If you are going to use a particular Geissele block, find out what the center distance is for the set screws used for that block.  Then send Jake a note and ask him which jig to order.  Jake is a good engineer, good machinist, and a very straight up guy.  He is also very responsive to technical questions.

Also be advised that he manufactures and sells a couple varieties of product.  One grade is a straight tool steel jig that is made for occasional users.  The other is a drill shaft insert hardened steel product that is meant for frequent users.  I have never bought one of the latter.  The cost differential is substantial.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 11:27:35 PM EDT
[#6]
The hole under the gas port will always be aligned properly.  
The second forward hole might be a little different depending on the jig and gas block.  
Easy enough to eyeball the second housing the gas block and a pencil if they don't line up correctly.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 11:29:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

SLR
View Quote
I've got the SLR one and it's phenomenal.

I suggest getting a carbide bit too. I tried a titanium nitride bit and it didn't touch my nitride barrels. Carbide bit drilled out in 10 seconds.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 11:30:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

SLR
View Quote
I use SLR titanium gas blocks pretty much exclusively.  But I have never used one of their jigs.  I would rather not use an aluminum jig.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 11:31:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I use SLR titanium gas blocks pretty much exclusively.  But I have never used one of their jigs.  I would rather not use an aluminum jig.
View Quote
You don't make contact with the AL, you drill through the hardened steel alignment screw.

Align the centering screw in the gas port:
Attachment Attached File

Flip the barrel over and drill the holes through the alignment screws. Really easy and almost foolproof.
Attachment Attached File

I've done about 10 barrels with mine and it looks brand new.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 11:34:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You don't make contact with the AL, you drill through the hardened steel alignment screw.

Align the centering screw in the gas port:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/322543/20190913_123807_jpg-1283439.JPG

Flip the barrel over and drill the holes through the alignment screws. Really easy and almost foolproof.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/322543/20190913_123534_jpg-1283437.JPG
View Quote
Got it.  Thanks for the illustration.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 11:37:20 PM EDT
[#11]
I would also recommend picking up some Birchwood Casey super blue. After you drill out the dimple the barrel will not be protected. Takes a few seconds to blue it and you never have to worry about it again.

Its not necessary, but if youre going to do something right always make it look professional!
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 11:40:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 12:20:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Yes, but I believe you need 5/32". I would think 11/64 would work, but I don't know for sure. 5/32" definitely works.

This is what I use. It's expensive at $16, but it gets the job done and will probably last forever.
Amazon Product
  • Solid carbide tools offer long tool life and faster cutting speeds than other substrates, but are more brittle and must be used with rigid toolholding systems
  • Uncoated tools feature just the base substrate without any additional treatment or coatings and are suitable for a wide range of applications
  • Round shanks allow use with a wide variety of toolholding systems

Link Posted: 2/20/2020 9:12:23 AM EDT
[#14]
For those who won’t use an aluminum jig. link
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 9:31:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

SLR
View Quote
BRD also makes one for multiple gas blocks.

Link Posted: 2/20/2020 9:40:22 AM EDT
[#16]
The jigs look ok, they are cheaper than they used to be.  I use a spare gas block as a jig, it was a cheap $10 steel one.  Use one hole for set screw to hold in place, the other as the drilling hole, and reverse it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 12:02:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The jigs look ok, they are cheaper than they used to be.  I use a spare gas block as a jig, it was a cheap $10 steel one.  Use one hole for set screw to hold in place, the other as the drilling hole, and reverse it.
View Quote
The purpose of the jig is to align the first dimple 180 degrees from the gas port. Using a gas block does not align the gas port...
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 12:06:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Another vote for SLR jigs, I have two of them and have had excellent results.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top