Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2020 12:43:50 PM EDT
Building a new rifle and I'm wanting the linear compensator/blast device to be slightly recessed under the handguard (while I wait for my suppressor to get out of NFA jail). When measuring a barrel length and comparing that with the handguard length on an upper, is the barrel length congruent with the handguard or do you have to subtract some length for the barrel extension?
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 1:42:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Barrel extension nests inside the receiver.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 6:13:54 PM EDT
[#2]
is the barrel length congruent with the handguard
View Quote

No.  Handguard is usually measured from the face of the receiver that it will butt up against.  Barrel length is measured from the bolt face, or case head.  They are not on the same plane.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 10:16:17 PM EDT
[#3]
so i need to subtract some length of the barrel to try and predict how much my barrel will be recessed? how long are receiver extensions on barrels?
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 10:18:37 PM EDT
[#4]
What barrel length are you shooting for?  What MD are you using?  These all come into play when you want it tucked.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 9:12:32 AM EDT
[#5]
The extension has a collar that stops against the receiver, measure from that shelf to the muzzle.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 10:33:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TacticalOreo:
so i need to subtract some length of the barrel to try and predict how much my barrel will be recessed? how long are receiver extensions on barrels?
View Quote

Easiest way to know is either post possible combinations here and see if anyone is running one already , or call the individual companies and get exact measurements.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 12:48:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I know people don’t like the exposed barrel, wasp-waist look compared to the seamless, “tucked” look, but in the long run you might be better off with an access gap between the handguard and the rear of the muzzle device.

This allows access room for wrenches, spanners, tying down mirage covers, front access to adjustable gas blocks, access for penetrating lubricants, and any number of unforeseen changes to come.  Someday you might even get a bigger diameter suppressor.  

After observing over 50 upper builds, swapping a shorter handguard onto an original selection outnumbers lengthening a handguard by 2:1, especially among suppressor users.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 5:26:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't (can't) run cans, and I like 300blk (short barrels), so I go with handrails longer roughly a 1/2 inch longer than my barrel.   I really like that look, plus the added rail space and longer distance between mbus.

Now if I COULD run a can, I would probably not run the can under the rail.  It would heat up the rail, you could never easily decrease the OAL you wanted to but it in a backpack or bag, and it would be harder to get to certain part.

As far as length of rail vs barrel.  I've found the numbers stated by the manufacturer to be accurate.  This is an 8.5" barrel with a 9" rail and mini KAK can.

9" barrel with 9.5" rail and a mini KAK can on bottom.  8.3" barrel with (above) 9" rail and mini KAK can on top.

Link Posted: 5/21/2020 2:49:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By panthermark:
I don't (can't) run cans, and I like 300blk (short barrels), so I go with handrails longer roughly a 1/2 inch longer than my barrel.   I really like that look, plus the added rail space and longer distance between mbus. 

Now if I COULD run a can, I would probably not run the can under the rail.  It would heat up the rail, you could never easily decrease the OAL you wanted to but it in a backpack or bag, and it would be harder to get to certain part.

As far as length of rail vs barrel.  I've found the numbers stated by the manufacturer to be accurate.  This is an 8.5" barrel with a 9" rail and mini KAK can.

https://i.imgur.com/QUss7qV.jpg

9" barrel with 9.5" rail and a mini KAK can on bottom.  8.3" barrel with (above) 9" rail and mini KAK can on top. 
https://i.imgur.com/n7VWcc4.png

View Quote

^^this was VERY helpful seeing pictures and visualizing measurements. got it figured out now. thank you!
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 4:51:49 PM EDT
[#11]

gangster! even better! thanks!
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 1:06:47 AM EDT
[#12]
I’m using a 10.5” barrel with a MI blast diffuser and a 12” Aero rail. The diffuser sticks out about 1.5”.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 10:08:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Handguard length is measured from the front of the receiver where the handguard starts. Barrel length is measured from the closed bolt face and requires a rod to be EXACT. The closed bolt face ends up being almost exactly in line with the front of the receiver on a 5.56/300 though. So, if you measure barrel length from the front of the receiver (where the handguard starts), you will be within 1/16'' of the true barrel length.
Basically, to determine where the barrel will end in relation to the handguard, both can be measured from the front of the upper receiver.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 9:18:00 PM EDT
[#14]
thanks for the help, everyone!
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 9:35:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I don't (can't) run cans, and I like 300blk (short barrels), so I go with handrails longer roughly a 1/2 inch longer than my barrel.   I really like that look, plus the added rail space and longer distance between mbus.

Now if I COULD run a can, I would probably not run the can under the rail.  It would heat up the rail, you could never easily decrease the OAL you wanted to but it in a backpack or bag, and it would be harder to get to certain part.

As far as length of rail vs barrel.  I've found the numbers stated by the manufacturer to be accurate.  This is an 8.5" barrel with a 9" rail and mini KAK can.

https://i.imgur.com/QUss7qV.jpg

9" barrel with 9.5" rail and a mini KAK can on bottom.  8.3" barrel with (above) 9" rail and mini KAK can on top.
https://i.imgur.com/n7VWcc4.png

View Quote

also, these are effing sweeeet builds
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 8:28:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 8:31:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Handguard length is measured from the front of the receiver where the handguard starts. Barrel length is measured from the closed bolt face and requires a rod to be EXACT. The closed bolt face ends up being almost exactly in line with the front of the receiver on a 5.56/300 though. So, if you measure barrel length from the front of the receiver (where the handguard starts), you will be within 1/16'' of the true barrel length.
Basically, to determine where the barrel will end in relation to the handguard, both can be measured from the front of the upper receiver.
View Quote

It's about .17" + .63" (thread length) difference between barrel length and rail length. Quite a bit different than 1/16" (.063”)
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 1:05:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Thanks!
View Quote

super helpful right??
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top