Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/20/2024 9:22:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ekg98]
When did everybody switch to M4 barrel extensions?  I can't find any A2 barrels with a standard extension anymore?  Surely somebody has to make these barrels still.  There is a ton of uppers that are older rifle extensions.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 12:40:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Windham is doing a2 barrels with rifle extensions.

Ordered one today.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 6:23:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Thank you
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 8:09:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Windham just got back with me and said the Bbl kit 20 gvt 1×7 does have M4 extensions.

Which one are you referring to that doesn't?
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 8:33:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fadedsun] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ekg98:
Windham just got back with me and said the Bbl kit 20 gvt 1×7 does have M4 extensions.

Which one are you referring to that doesn't?
View Quote

Now I’m going to have to check because I had seen previously where I was told they used rifle extensions.

I get back to my house in a week.

Going off the descriptions on the website for current products I think you are right.

I’ll cross windham off my list of places to get a2 barrels with rifle extensions now
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 6:39:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ekg98] [#5]
Yeah probably still a good barrel though.  I built my first clone back in like 2010.  Its always been my most fun one to shoot.  I love reloading for it.  Now thinking about putting a barrel on the shelf because of how much I like shooting it.  I can't believe the lack of A2 parts now.  I never thought about getting a spare because I always thought they would be around.  Now the more I look its hard getting classic parts.  Everybody wants bastardized M4 variants with all sorts of rails that can cut the hands up.  After sandy hook I noticed the scarcity of parts for everything.  Now it just seems they stopped making some types.  I had quality control go down so bad during that time.  I had a BCG from a sponsored member here and it would jam all the way back in the buffer tube after about 70 rounds.  I was told it was my fault and I didn't lube it enough.  I compared it with three other BCG I had and noticed the bolt didn't sit right inside the BCG.  The cam pin slot was cut wrong and the cam pin was riding inside the upper receiver gouging it and binding.  Swapped it out for a genuine Colt BCG at the time and every issue went away.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 10:23:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Have you checked with Brownells?  Their A2 barrels used to have rifle extensions.  Showing out of stock right now, but you could still ask.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 4:08:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ekg98] [#7]
Will do thanks. Says no longer available.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 9:26:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I was looking at some of those Harrington & Richardson uppers & full rifles PSA had been even their damn retro line has M4 feed ramps
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 1:02:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By ColtComanche:
I was looking at some of those Harrington & Richardson uppers & full rifles PSA had been even their damn retro line has M4 feed ramps
View Quote

I know. It's frustrating for people who want to truly do a clone correct upper.

Link Posted: 3/5/2024 4:29:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By fadedsun:

I know. It's frustrating for people who want to truly do a clone correct upper.

View Quote

Extremely
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 4:41:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Are there any issues with using m4 feed ramps in a 20" gas system?

My head tells me no.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 5:50:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Rifle Extentsion and Carbine Ramp is where  you're going to have problems.  I got FTF once in every 30 rd mag when I first built my M16A4 clone.  Took me awhile till I found a rifle ramped flat top.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 12:56:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:
Rifle Extentsion and Carbine Ramp is where  you're going to have problems.  I got FTF once in every 30 rd mag when I first built my M16A4 clone.  Took me awhile till I found a rifle ramped flat top.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/32677/feed_ramps_jpg-3149779.JPG
View Quote
Once in every 30rd mag. Consistently early, late, or random?

I figure if a rifle will jam a bullet between a rifle extension/M4 ramp, it'll jam in a rifle ext/rifle ramp, with the former being slightly more difficult to clear.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 2:14:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By HighpowerRifleBrony:
Once in every 30rd mag. Consistently early, late, or random?

I figure if a rifle will jam a bullet between a rifle extension/M4 ramp, it'll jam in a rifle ext/rifle ramp, with the former being slightly more difficult to clear.
View Quote

Don't remember where it happened in the mag.  Only put about 150 rds thru that mismatched combo.  Since going to rifle ext/rifle ramp no more issues.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 8:46:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Sent you a PM
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 12:08:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:

Don't remember where it happened in the mag.  Only put about 150 rds thru that mismatched combo.  Since going to rifle ext/rifle ramp no more issues.
View Quote
Noted. Thank you.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 6:48:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ekg98] [#17]
I will never understand everybody's obsession to change the platform.  Lets change this and change that and hang a sink here and a toilet here.  The XM16E1 and A1 was perfected after about mid 1967.  The A2 I never had issues with at all.  Heck the military still can't figure out what mags work best in their platform but we are going to go to a new rifle with a bimetal case design.  Whos the new McNamara?  The M4 is a abomination of a rifle platform.  Give them all A4's.  Call it a day.  Lets replace everybody's $10 cleaning kit with a $300 model.  I shake my head.  I am not even a boomer or gen x.  I see the writing on the wall.
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top