Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2020 7:20:41 PM EDT
I shot one box of Monarch and two of the brass were split open from the base with the primers blown out. I still have two more boxes of this stuff, Does this company have a bad rap? I haven't used them before.
The rifle is a  preban Colt Gov Carbine and I have had it for 25 yrs. See images below.
https://i.imgur.com/uz7wyVk.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/M0ZxfOx.jpg

Link Posted: 4/16/2020 7:52:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Ive shot their brass cased stuff without issue but stay away from their steel stuff. Pretty much Wolf quality. I found it exceptionally dirty.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 8:05:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Steel is more better
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 11:27:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Well, I invested in a set of dies recently and bought some Federal brass and Hornady bullets a while back. I was shooting up some of the stuff I have to use the brass but I think I will forgo the Monarch stuff. I also had hundreds of rounds of reloaded .223 LC that I bought from Houston Cartridge Company 25 yrs ago and found that 95% of them had splits in the neck of the case so I pulled the bullets for reloading into new brass. I had never bothered to reload .223 before because it was so small and cheap but now I think I will stick to self loaded stuff for the most part.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 1:28:31 PM EDT
[#4]
That is PPU ammo in a Monarch box.

That is a bad batch of brass no doubt!

Contact Academy immediately with the lot number so others can be aware to watch out for this batch of ammo.

Post the lot number here to so we can check out ammo stashes too to see if we have similar lots.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 9:57:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I've never seen Serbian Monarch ammo with anything other than a PPU headstamp but that certainly doesn't mean it doesn't exist.  The nny headstamp in the picture is from Prvi Partisan but predates the PPU stamp; if it's Monarch it's likely very early Monarch.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 10:38:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Holy cow. You didn't feel the extra gas?
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 12:54:14 AM EDT
[#7]
NNY was the old headstamp before PPU.  I've shot a lot of this ammo and brass never an issue.

I'd report it and the lot # to Academy and PPU
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 9:09:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
NNY was the old headstamp before PPU.  I've shot a lot of this ammo and brass never an issue.

I'd report it and the lot # to Academy and PPU
View Quote

NNY is the same as PPU. NNY is PPU in Cyrillic.

Both versions have been in use at the same time over the years.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 11:42:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I have shot a crap ton of brass monarch .223, never an issue with it. Definitely contact academy they are great people and have helped me in the past.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 3:31:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Czechers:
Ive shot their brass cased stuff without issue but stay away from their steel stuff. Pretty much Wolf quality. I found it exceptionally dirty.
View Quote

It’s from Barnaul, so it’s basically Brown Bear.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 11:17:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 4:18:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 1:36:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Yikes.   Curious, as I'm having neighboring S&B 6.5CM do similar, though not all the way through the head thank God; I can't believe that didn't Kaboom on you.  I'm having S&B primers blowing out, when nobody else' do; on loads not even that strong.  

I'm beginning to think there was a bad shipment of brass to that region.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 5:49:36 PM EDT
[#14]
I"ve never shot any of their brass but their steel cased is loaded by Barnaul and I've never had an issue out of it.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top