User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
BRT CAR-15 SD 9mm (Page 1 of 2)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/5/2024 8:29:29 PM EDT
Broad River Tactical  9mm CAR-15 SD upper.

Anyone have any input on this? $600 with NO BCG/CH.
Also, trying to figure out what mags it uses as it for a standard AR lower.

Historical What-If: The CAR-15 SD

Link Posted: 2/5/2024 8:34:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 8:39:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Recommended suppressor

HTA Integral Suppressor
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 8:43:14 PM EDT
[#3]
On order
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 9:12:09 PM EDT
[#4]
One of my friends got one of his RDB barrels for his MP5 can and likes it.
I like SS barrels for ported builds and will be making my own RDB ported stainless barrel for an integral I already have.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 5:21:59 PM EDT
[#5]
That's not too bad of a design.

Truth is though, it's certainly not the first of its' kind.  A lot of companies and private owners have been making integral 9 AR's for years.

Link Posted: 2/6/2024 5:35:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JohnA4:
That's not too bad of a design.

Truth is though, it's certainly not the first of its' kind.  A lot of companies and private owners have been making integral 9 AR's for years.
View Quote
Did you notice he is doing barrels for both the straight blowback AR9 and the CMMG RDB (Radially Delayed Blowback)?
The latter is what is new and hasn't been done in any large capacity.  I know several people have been doing their own custom builds but no integrally suppressed DELAYED blowback integrally suppressed turn key setups like this.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 5:57:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JohnA4] [#7]
Originally Posted By amphibian:
Did you notice he is doing barrels for both the straight blowback AR9 and the CMMG RDB (Radially Delayed Blowback)?
The latter is what is new and hasn't been done in any large capacity.  I know several people have been doing their own custom builds but no integrally suppressed DELAYED blowback integrally suppressed turn key setups like this.
View Quote

No, I didn't see where they were being done with the cmmg style bolt and barrel extension.  That is a bit different.  At least for someone other than cmmg.

I do know a few guys who have bought cmmg guns and made integral cans for them on F1's themselves though so that much isn't all that new or groundbreaking copying the mp5 front end.

The integral upper I made back about 15 years is just for blowback and using colt style mags because that was what was mainly available back then.  

Plus I had a bunch of mags from owning an uzi too.  So, I was already stacked with them and just simply milled a notch in them for the AR mag catch in the ones I picked out for it.  

As for turnkey, I never was much into that.  I always went my own way.  

Link Posted: 2/6/2024 11:51:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By JohnA4:

As for turnkey, I never was much into that.  I always went my own way.  

View Quote

That is great for you. I wish that I could do what you can. Most of us can't do that. Since I already have a HK style SD can, I think that this is a great way to get a integrally suppressed upper for my DIAS that already fits the can I have. Back in the day Gemtech had an integrally suppressed blowback upper, but it was not the same as the SD. I think having a RDB SD style upper that is for the AR-15/M16 family of firearms is very cool. It is on my short list.

Scott
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 12:11:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jt526] [#9]
I got one, and use with colt smg mags and a B&t suppressor. I like it, and will get the RDB barrel to try out. Blowback ar's suck and I hope to at some point adapt this barrel to my mean arms delayed upper.

i use it with my RLL and it is great, 115gr is subsonic, but it ain't as quiet as an mp5. Or the bearing delayed upper with can, too much pop out the side.

I just got the barrel and used a spiked BAR2 rail. The spikes was the only thing I could find that fit the can and had pic rail for a vert grip. The mlok
aero I considered  I don't think would have enough gap to fit the nuts/screws.

ETA:  damn this place, I just ordered the RDB kit, why not another 9mm upper. Coming with the rubber shroud sold me.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 9:34:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I have the RDB front end kit on order.  Other parts and mags already here.  Already have SD suppressor, can't wait to put it up against my SD.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 6:57:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Got shipping notice for the front end kit from BRT.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 7:06:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Just got shipping also, and my RDB is on the way from CMMG.  now I have the RDB vs. the Mean Arms vs blowback upper to compare.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 11:21:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Just got told by my suppressor dealer that the new B&T can is 1 year out for manufacturing.

Seeing if I can run down the older compact B&T can if they're still available.

Link Posted: 2/20/2024 8:43:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: amphibian] [#14]
I broke down and got the BRT HG / Rail:
RDIAS installed.  CMMG RDB but with custom fixed ejector.
I got a Odin Works SS 7.5" straight blowback 9mm barrel and converted it to be for the CMMG RDB then cut the threads to match the entire length of the 3 lug adapter so no free-bore condition.
Curtis Tactical CT9KS using the Bixler 3 lug mount which has zero play.
I'm going to build another CMMG RDB with the custom fixed ejector and stainless ported barrel.

Link Posted: 2/21/2024 7:02:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: muzzleloader] [#15]
Anyone having the same ejector issues with these builds that plague other RDB builds? I am interested in this set up but I do have some hesitation investing more into a platform that seems to be set up to fail.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 12:55:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: amphibian] [#16]
Originally Posted By muzzleloader:
Anyone having the same ejector issues with these builds that plague other RDB builds? I am interested in this set up but I do have some hesitation investing more into a platform that seems to be set up to fail.
View Quote

Shameless plug.... I just listed some fixed ejector stuff on GB this AM.  Item 1037533564

Link Posted: 2/23/2024 8:08:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Got my BRT parts today. Trying to figure out what suppressor.

Link Posted: 2/23/2024 9:51:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jt526] [#18]
Got mine also, CMMG bolt should be in tomorrow. I am super impressed with the rubber sleeve quality and the hand guard. The only criticism I have is that anything with slots on a hand guard like that should be mlok these days.

got some $18 fake 416 sights off eBay because I'm not dropping $250 on Centurion ones until I see if this things works. Still need to cut the bolt for my RLL as well.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 1:10:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By jt526:
The only criticism I have is that anything with slots on a hand guard like that should be mlok these days.
View Quote
I don't see how I could use them even if they were M-LOK with the rubber sleeve installed...unless you want to use it without the sleeve then at that point, I would be using a different HG.  I was looking at the slots more in terms of weight savings.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 12:06:36 AM EDT
[#20]

Shameless plug.... I just listed some fixed ejector stuff on GB this AM.  Item 1037533564
View Quote

Good luck with the sale. You would probably get more bites if you had another carrier to go with the bolts.
It would be interesting to make an A1 dissipator with that upper. Seems like you would need a custom barrel though since a 0.625" FSB won't fit on a CMMG barrel.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 10:47:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tortilla-flats] [#21]
Anyone know what barrel nut wrench to use with this? The armorer's wrench  I have, the pins don't line up.

Link Posted: 2/29/2024 6:26:03 PM EDT
[#22]
The 12" suppressors from HiTec are in stock. Only two left now though :) I thought I subscribed for an "in-stock" notification but I didnt receive any.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 7:18:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By tortilla-flats:
Anyone know what barrel nut wrench to use with this? The armorer's wrench  I have, the pins don't line up.
View Quote
I must have 3 or 4 armorers wrenches like that.  The first two I grabbed didn't line up but they were close.  The third one I grabbed lined up fine...
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 8:45:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gotterdammerung] [#24]

View Quote

I had the same issue and bought and used this one

According to a poster on Reddit, Aero uses them to assemble their uppers.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 4:00:26 AM EDT
[#25]
That upper plus this:

And you too can have an MP5SD at home.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 12:13:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Certified my F4 for a B&T Compact SD suppressor today. Hoping to get it within the next month.

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:28:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Certified my F4 for a B&T Compact SD suppressor today. Hoping to get it within the next month.

View Quote
Approved.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 9:59:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Approved.
View Quote

Whoa. Form 4 approved in under a week?? Who did you have to blackmail?
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 10:39:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By gongo:

Whoa. Form 4 approved in under a week?? Who did you have to blackmail?
View Quote

Well, they don't have to waste manpower on those "free" submissions anymore so maybe they have some time on their hands
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 12:16:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Yeah, it looks like eForm-4 Individuals are getting approved QUICK! I've seen some that turned around in 24 hours!

I bought it through Capitol Armory, so it's going to be a couple of more weeks before I get my hands on it.

Link Posted: 3/14/2024 2:08:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Yeah, it looks like eForm-4 Individuals are getting approved QUICK! I've seen some that turned around in 24 hours!

I bought it through Capitol Armory, so it's going to be a couple of more weeks before I get my hands on it.

View Quote

How long did it take to get your barrel from BRT? I certified my HTA can today. Hoping for a new approval time record!
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 3:58:18 PM EDT
[#32]

How long did it take to get your barrel from BRT? I certified my HTA can today. Hoping for a new approval time record!
View Quote
About 2 weeks.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 12:56:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: muzzleloader] [#33]

View Quote

And maybe it was! 18 hours approval!!

ETA: it was 19 hours actually.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 4:21:58 PM EDT
[#34]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Link Posted: 3/23/2024 9:56:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tortilla-flats] [#35]
Does this setup require a buffer assy? Can it be configured like a Dissent ?

ETA: Nope. Requires a taller upper receiver.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 8:15:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: amphibian] [#36]
Does this setup require a buffer assy? Can it be configured like a Dissent ?

ETA: Nope. Requires a taller upper receiver.
View Quote
I posted about my 'hybrid' Dissent project a few threads below here: https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/Ultimate-Full-Auto-CMMG-RDB-Fixed-Ejector-Project/15-785453/
The Dissent BCG is non-standard and requires their non-standard upper receiver that houses the guide rods and recoil springs and then the handguards are also proprietary for their side charger.

I know there are a lot of buffer tube haters out there but I love the buffer tube to leverage all the aftermarket buffers and springs to get the smoothness I'm after.  I think the more compact something is the less smooth it is going to be.
I stumbled on this Youtube video and interestingly, this guy is saying the same thing, in that the Dissent just isn't as smooth since you can't fine tune it since it is buffer-less and his number one pick is his custom CMMG Banshee which he is using my 'OLD' setup from my website: https://c3junkie.com/?page_id=280  

Ultimate 9mm PCC Comparison PART 2 | CMMG Dissent (CMMG Dissent vs Banshee vs Sig MPX vs MP5)

I would be curious to know how many rounds he has fired as the reason that the 9mm CMMG Guard / Banshee is my 'OLD' setup is the ejector spring failures around the 1K mark.
My hybrid Dissent project gives me the best of both worlds, RDB action, fixed ejector with the new Dissent bolt that moves the cam pin further back for strength, re-using the buffer tube for full auto function and even greater tune-ability since I use an Aluminum carrier extension with less reciprocating mass than the original CMMG Banshee.

A quick video showing 'Phase I' and 'Phase II' of my hybrid CMMG Dissent full auto setup in action.  The Phase II portion is using the BRT handguard.
Amphibian's Hybrid CMMG Dissent

Direct link to my webpage detailing everything if anyone wants to nerd out on the details: https://c3junkie.com/?page_id=1733

ETA, I also just picked up a Scorpion mag lower yesterday and will be building out a setup to use my hybrid Dissent with that lower and the BRT handguard as well.

Oh and regarding the side charger, I've never been a fan of the side chargers either but doing my hybrid build allows me to leverage aftermarket side charger options.  I may build one using this one: https://typezerodesign.com/fch/  which is interesting as the rail is notched to allow you to do the HK slap.  Now if I could make something to allow that rail to work with the BRT SD sleeve that would be awesome.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 9:22:32 AM EDT
[#37]
Lots of good info there. Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 5:52:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Can delivered. I'll post up some pics later along with some additional info.

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:19:44 PM EDT
[#39]
As far as a nut wrench, I ended up getting this gland nut wrench. It's a bit awkward to use, but I was able to make it work.
Amazon Product
  • New arrivals in February 2022,New improvements to old products.For the first batch of products, the strength of the pin is not strong enough, and for customer feedback. We have improved the processing technology, material and design of the pin. The strength of the pin is greatly improved, and the probability of breakage is reduced as much as possible

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:39:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tortilla-flats] [#40]
6lbs, 13oz as pictured (empty mag)
Can is heavy: 1lb, 1oz.

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:43:59 PM EDT
[#41]
I should be able to shoot this tomorrow. I have the following ammo...
115gr WWB FMJ
124gr AE FMJ
147gr Federal Syntech
147gr handloads RN & FN

Coincidentally, I was able to shoot a CMMG Banshee in 5.7 yesterday and was surprised at how not soft shooting it was. I'll be able to get a good comparison with this.

Can't wait.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:10:10 PM EDT
[#42]
115gr WWB FMJ
124gr AE FMJ
147gr Federal Syntech
147gr handloads RN & FN

Coincidentally, I was able to shoot a CMMG Banshee in 5.7 yesterday and was surprised at how not soft shooting it was. I'll be able to get a good comparison with this.

Can't wait.
View Quote
I never shot a CMMG Banshee in 5.7.  5.7 I like 50k PSI and 9mm is like 35k.  
What is your reasoning for comparing 5.7 to 9mm?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:52:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tortilla-flats] [#43]
I never shot a CMMG Banshee in 5.7.  5.7 I like 50k PSI and 9mm is like 35k.  
What is your reasoning for comparing 5.7 to 9mm?
View Quote
I was considering replacing all my 9mm setups with 5.7

Every review I've watched/read has said it's softer shooting than 9mm. That wasn't the reason for the switch, but it was a notable stand out from all the reviews. After shooting one, I'd like to have a comparison that is within a short timeframe.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:17:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: muzzleloader] [#44]
115gr WWB FMJ
124gr AE FMJ
147gr Federal Syntech
147gr handloads RN & FN

Coincidentally, I was able to shoot a CMMG Banshee in 5.7 yesterday and was surprised at how not soft shooting it was. I'll be able to get a good comparison

Can't wait.
View Quote

Interested in the accuracy out of this SD barrel.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:53:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: amphibian] [#45]
I was considering replacing all my 9mm setups with 5.7

Every review I've watched/read has said it's softer shooting than 9mm. That wasn't the reason for the switch, but it was a notable stand out from all the reviews. After shooting one, I'd like to have a comparison that is within a short timeframe.
View Quote
I'm too heavily invested in 9mm and been reloading it for over 30yrs.  No interest in picking up another caliber to reload.  I also like the multiple mag options for the 9mm CMMG RDB:  Colt mags, Endomags, upcoming Exomags, Glock mags, Sig mags, Beretta mags if using a Stern block and Scorpion mags for the DIY's.  Then there are also drums available for some of those mags I previously listed.

As mentioned before, I am NOT impressed with an un-tuned CMMG RDB in all the calibers I have tried (9mm, .40SW, .45ACP and 10mm).   However, tuned they are phenomenal.   I don't know if I can say the same for a CMMG RDB in 5.7 but if it was a stock setup, I am not surprised in it not being that smooth.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:49:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tortilla-flats] [#46]
No malfs after 50 total rounds.
Off hand, 15 yards. 5 rounds each target. Flyers are on me; I suck.

top left: WWB
top right: AE
lower left: Syntech

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:34:51 PM EDT
[#47]
How are the handguards at keeping the heat away from your hands?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 6:04:54 PM EDT
[#48]
How are the handguards at keeping the heat away from your hands?
View Quote
The OD of the handguard is 2".  Most people have cans with plenty of clearance so no heat transfer.  I am running my fat CT9KS which also has a 2" OD.  So none of the can body is under the handguard.  Only the 3 lug Bixler mount is under the handguard.  So no heat transfer either.  Had about 1k through mine in full auto and don't feel anything.  I have other cans that would go under the handguard but they would still be longer than the CT9KS but don't think they would get hot either due to the clearance.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:30:41 PM EDT
[#49]
No heat issues, but it was a low round count session.

Also forgot to mention, I definitely forgot my gas buster CH.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:07:52 PM EDT
[#50]
I need to test my new Scorpion mag lower setup.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
BRT CAR-15 SD 9mm (Page 1 of 2)
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top