Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2022 11:31:16 AM EDT
Thinking about a buffer less AR upper for a SBR. Between these which would you choose?
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 3:14:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ronboman] [#1]
I was looking at a Sig mcx virttus recently but don’t know much about reliability. Looks interesting  for the price. I own pws and lwrc
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 11:19:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't have a Jackl, Dissent, or ARIC, but I do have a Sig MCX Rattler, BRN180, and like 5 EWS bufferless carriers.

I would say get the EWS because it's versatile, reliable, lightweight, and reasonably priced, but you'll be waiting a long time to get one (1+ years). Rattler is good, but heavy. BRN180 is amazing and also a little heavy. ARIC I don't have, but if you get it, you're looking at around $600ish drop as a result of needing to use their own charging tech, the LAW Folder. That's kind of what's keeping me away. That and the fact that it's massively weighted being the folder mech is steel.  If I were you, I'd get the Jackl. Great reviews all around, reasonably priced, a little heavy, but long stroke piston? I'm not saying to go BRN180 because I would have chose Jackl had they both came out at the same time (I love my 180).
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 3:46:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: k9ghost] [#3]
I appreciate the info. I have a law folder already so going that way is not awful cost wise but that sure is an expensive BCG. I like both the jackal and the 180. I like the left side charging handle on the jackal better but which one do you think is more reliable when using a standard AR lower?
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 4:57:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Knightzone] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By k9ghost:
I appreciate the info. I have a law folder already so going that way is not awful cost wise but that sure is an expensive BCG. I like both the jackal and the 180. I like the left side charging handle on the jackal better but which one do you think is more reliable when using a standard AR lower?
View Quote

I have both a Jakl and two versions of the BrN-180, 16 and 10.5. The Jakl requires an adapter on the lower reciver otherwise you have a gap between the two up top. Also requires its own bolt hold open. The BRN-180 is just an upper. The 10.5 BRN-180 is wonderful to shoot and performs much better suppressed. The Jakl reminds me of a next generation AK. It requires more gas to move a heavier carrier than the BRN. BRN is very light too, much lighter than the Jakl. I’m looking to sell my Jakl as the BrN-180 is better imo.
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 5:51:17 PM EDT
[#5]
When I think about these purchases I always ask myself : Which will my grandkids be able to find spare parts for?

YMMV
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 7:52:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By sowinskian:
When I think about these purchases I always ask myself : Which will my grandkids be able to find spare parts for?

YMMV
View Quote

If that was a real concern of yours, you’d be buying the spare parts for them.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 8:19:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Claytonhoneyberry:

If that was a real concern of yours, you’d be buying the spare parts for them.
View Quote

I do, of course.  But obviously I can only stockpile so much, for space and money reasons.
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top