Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2023 10:53:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BPR]
Posted on a BRN-180 facebook group-Beneficial for all that own an BRN-180.  COPY PASTA-

1st off - NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, shoot your suppressed BRN180 in the U unsuppressed setting. Doing so will damage your upper receiver, and you'll have to have it replaced. The instructional video saying this was ok, has since been removed.
The BRN180 was tuned for a high back pressure 556 silencer, so using a high flow or 30 caliber silencer, will cause it to not cycle. The stock S suppeessed gas port is .062, and must be drilled to either #50 drill size .070, or #49 drill size .073. This depends on what silencer you are shooting. In some cases like a .36 or .458 sized silencer, you'll have to go larger.

Clamp the gas nipple in a soft jaw vise, drop of oil on the port, and drill the port to the next size with a hand drill. Blow off the burr and oil.

Then reinstall the gas nipple, and shoot it with your silencer and see if it cycles and locks back on an empty mag.

It's really simple. If you have questions or concerns, call PWS Warranty and we'll answer them. 208-344-5217
If you need another gas nipple, we'll send you one. Just email us your request, phone number, and address, to [email protected]
Hope this helps
Joey Harris
PWS Warranty Manager
208-344-5417 x209
[email protected]
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 11:29:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: stiglitz_actual] [#1]
Thanks for posting that info for non FB folks, nice to see it somewhat officially addressed

I have a 180s that's got around 1k suppressed w/ a YHM Turbo and there's no receiver rail deformation as-yet

They should address the 300blk uppers as well, seen a couple reports of similar receiver rail damage on the 300blk uppers even when unsuppressed
My 300blk recoils harshly on U/1 with 110gr supers and still cycles them fine on S/2 without a can so I'm fairly sure it's overgassed - put on a can it's likely to similarly damage the receiver rails
Varying success w/ subs, some 208-220gr fail to cycle  on S/2 with a can, cycle fine on U/1 but not sure if that could lead to damage
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 11:10:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Mine doesn’t like being reliable on anything but the suppressed setting, suppressor or not. It’s never been 100% reliable in the unsuppressed setting.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 8:46:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ahrion] [#3]
I have a Stealth Project suppressor that wouldn't run in S setting because of the minimal blowback and it would only run in U.

I suspect there are other 'limited blowback' suppressors that are the same in that regard.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 12:13:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I’d also like to know how this applies to 300 blkout 180S. I only run subs through it using a baffled can and setting 2 doesn’t have enough gas to cycle but runs fine on setting 1
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 7:33:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By --FLEET--:
I’d also like to know how this applies to 300 blkout 180S. I only run subs through it using a baffled can and setting 2 doesn’t have enough gas to cycle but runs fine on setting 1
View Quote

I e-mailed as asked, it’s a 556 statement
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 9:13:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stiglitz_actual] [#6]
@--FLEET-- @faawrenchbndr

I also emailed about this - I asked about running 110gr supers suppressed and the cycling issues with subs when on #2 gas setting and here's the surprising reply I received

When suppressed, supers should be in the unsuppressed setting, and subs (under 1100fps) are ok to keep in the unsuppressed setting.
View Quote

Seems counterintuitive for supers unless the 300blk gas block is vented in both settings
In an early BRN-180s 5.56 video, it was mentioned that the suppressed gas setting was both a reduced port size, as well as venting - not sure about the unsuppressed setting though
Guess I need to pull apart my 300blk & 5.56 piston and compare
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 6:09:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By stiglitz_actual:
@--FLEET-- @faawrenchbndr

I also emailed about this - I asked about running 110gr supers suppressed and the cycling issues with subs when on #2 gas setting and here's the surprising reply I received

Seems counterintuitive for supers unless the 300blk gas block is vented in both settings
In an early BRN-180s 5.56 video, it was mentioned that the suppressed gas setting was both a reduced port size, as well as venting
Need to pull apart my 300blk piston and see if it's the same as the 180s 5.56
View Quote

Can’t compare apples to oranges.
Yes, sounds counterintuitive, but gas system is what it is.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 3:35:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Interesting. Thanks for the info. Glad to hear
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 11:41:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stiglitz_actual] [#9]
Good News! Brownells has released a new BRN-180 300blk "suppressor optimized" variant!

... in the same 1:8 / 10" length but now you can turn the gas off and have a goofier charging handle

https://www.brownells.com/gun-parts/rifle-parts/rifle-receivers-parts/brn-180sh-suppressor-optimized-300-blackout-10-upper-receiver/

Would like to get a look at one of these new gas blocks too, wonder if it's got different port sizes or an entirely new design
They used to post detailed assembly pics, but haven't done so for any of the iterations after initial release of gen2
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 8:28:20 AM EDT
[#10]
The new suppressed version looks interesting. My 556 10.5 shoots reliably and smoothly with a YHM Turbo K on the suppressed setting.  It’s probably the smoothest shooting AR type upper I own.  Much less punchy than my 10.5 PSA.
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 4:28:26 PM EDT
[#11]
I run a Surefire 556 Socom, and it does not reliably run in the suppressed setting.  It doesn't cycle to pick up the next round.
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 7:54:23 PM EDT
[#12]
My 10.5 would not cycle in the suppressed setting with my Nomad on it. With a turbo K, it is one of the smoothest guns I own.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 8:47:46 PM EDT
[#13]
I’m curious to see how my old AAC M4 2000 will run on my 180S.  Finally got another AAC 51t mount from the resurrected AAC.
Link Posted: 3/17/2023 9:26:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Useafortyfive:
I’m curious to see how my old AAC M4 2000 will run on my 180S.  Finally got another AAC 51t mount from the resurrected AAC.
View Quote

Are the 55t mounts that scarce?
Link Posted: 3/17/2023 9:34:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Mauser556:
I run a Surefire 556 Socom, and it does not reliably run in the suppressed setting.  It doesn't cycle to pick up the next round.
View Quote

@Mauser556

That could be due to the lower backpressure can - contact PWS and they'll send you alternate gas plugs with slightly larger suppressed port which might help

Also double check your oprod and recoil springs - if the oprod spring is binding/kinked or there's bolt bounce and it's failing to go into battery
Seems like there was a bad batch of springs and PWS has been replacing them, along with a new oprod, under warranty if you contact them
Link Posted: 3/17/2023 11:21:48 AM EDT
[#16]

@Mauser556

That could be due to the lower backpressure can - contact PWS and they'll send you alternate gas plugs with slightly larger suppressed port which might help

Also double check your oprod and recoil springs - if the oprod spring is binding/kinked or there's bolt bounce and it's failing to go into battery
Seems like there was a bad batch of springs and PWS has been replacing them, along with a new oprod, under warranty if you contact them
View Quote

Thank you.  I will.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 3:22:18 PM EDT
[#17]

@Mauser556

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Mauser556:

@Mauser556

Interesting...there's a bunch of posts in the big BRN180 thread about this, and it happens to me - I haven't taken mine out in some time but when I had it out last, shooting suppressed, half the time it would fail to fire with bolt bounce (at least I think bolt bounce).

How can I tell if there's a receiver rail problem? I don't know if I fired it in the unsuppressed setting while there was a can on it...
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 1:25:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stiglitz_actual] [#18]
@Evil_Ed

Pop the rear and remove the bolt, if you see deformation along the rail it's a sign of too much backpressure

Also check the bolt cam pin for any odd wear, that can be a sign that the seel insert at the front of the rail isn't aligned - which can be a sign that the screw holding it in place is loose (it's the screw holding the external rubber stock "bumper")
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 2:13:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Ah, awesome, thank you! My rail is fine, and the insert is aligned...not worrying about it anymore

Thank you!
Link Posted: 7/12/2023 7:56:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rgrprib] [#20]
I contacted them and was informed that my .300  BO 10.5 upper will need to have parts replaced by PWS.
Link Posted: 7/12/2023 8:10:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Good to know, mine wouldn't run with a OCL Polonium in the suppressed setting, which I didn't expect
Link Posted: 7/12/2023 9:23:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By rgrprib:
I contacted them and was informed that my .300  BO 10.5 upper will need to have parts replaced by PWS.
View Quote

Did it break? I have one I still haven't shot
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 11:09:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rgrprib] [#23]
Nothing broken. I checked my receiver serial number and Mfg date (prior to 2022 Mfg date) and was told that it will need parts replaced.

If you look at the underside of the upper receiver, you will see a seven digit number, and the first four numbers will tell you the month and year it was manufactured.

Link Posted: 7/13/2023 5:17:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By rgrprib:
Nothing broken. I checked my receiver serial number and Mfg date (prior to 2022 Mfg date) and was told that it will need parts replaced.

If you look at the underside of the upper receiver, you will see a seven digit number, and the first four numbers will tell you the month and year it was manufactured.

View Quote

Did they give a cutoff date, or what needed to be changed?

Mine is dated "0321"
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 5:24:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Was told any with a date before 2022.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 5:34:09 PM EDT
[#26]
FYI I contacted PWS customer support asking about this, and explained that my upper would occasionally fail to chamber/bolt bounce issues, either with or without a can - especially when it was chilly out (most of the times I've been able to get it to the range were fall/winter). Always shooting M855 or an equivalent. They told me there was an update and sent me new springs and parts. I'll hopefully be able to get it to a range this weekend with a bunch of mags...here's hoping those problems are fixed!
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 11:08:43 AM EDT
[#27]
No update from PWS yet.
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 12:48:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Evil_Ed] [#28]
Oof.

If it's any consolation...I got the parts in, installed them, went to the range - huzzah, no problems with bolt bounce, chambering, etc.

However, the metal horseshoe (I think?) clip at the front that keeps the gas piston from sinking in too far, keeps flying off when shooting suppressed. I can't get through 3 mags without it disappearing. Doesn't matter if it's oriented up or down, it just doesn't stay in place. You can tell when it's gone when the gun suddenly turns into a single shot.

This is on a 5.56/223 host.

So shooting suppressed is basically a 3 mags or less thing. Forget taking it on any kind of a training class or whatever. Even if you carry a ton of spares with you, at some point it's going to fail at the worst possible time.
Link Posted: 10/2/2023 12:32:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Anyone try the Huxwrx 556K yet, specifically on the 10"?  That's what my future plans were.
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top