BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
BRN-180 Review (Page 8 of 13)
Page / 13
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 7:05:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Got ready to finally pull the trigger on a BRN-180s for my Father’s Day gift to myself and they’re OOS.  Hopefully they come back soon.  Got my MCX folding stock and a SBR lower and I’ve wanted to get the BRN 180 for a cool and unique SBR
Link Posted: 6/19/2020 2:29:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dtux] [#2]
I finally got this wrapped up today.

Link Posted: 6/19/2020 9:20:47 AM EDT
[#3]

My foldy boi and my buddy and I shooting the sun.
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 9:18:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Anybody else have a hard time removing the BRN180s handguard?
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 9:28:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MHowski] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By czgunner:
Anybody else have a hard time removing the BRN180s handguard?
View Quote

YES!   I had to hold it by the handguard and slam it down flashhider first onto my workbench to get it off.  Took some good pounding.  Was not easy to get back on either, but not as hard as getting it off.  I did not shoot mine first, maybe that loosens it all up.

Edit mine is a 16” 180, not the s model, but I think it’s the same.
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 10:20:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Also, I read somewhere that the BRN 180 lower mag catch can be retained with a screw instead of a pin. Any info on that?
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 7:36:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Also, I read somewhere that the BRN 180 lower mag catch can be retained with a screw instead of a pin. Any info on that?
View Quote

Out of the two current Brownells BRN-180 receivers, it's the BRN-180M lower, which looks more like the traditionall AR15 lower, that offers the threaded bolt catch pin (clearly seen in the image below) and captive set screw for the takedown pin detent spring, whereas the BRN-180 lower does not have these features.

Brownells BRN-180M lower receiver
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 9:52:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Here's the upper on my SBR that usually hosts a CMMG .22 homebuild.  Dan Haga Zhukov stock to picatinny adapter, Zhukov stock, and KNS buffer tower endplate.  I like that the handle clears the stock and can be charged, but note that the ejection port is covered by the stock and would probably malfunction after the first shot if fired folded.

Link Posted: 6/22/2020 3:40:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rpoL98] [#9]
Originally Posted By RageAgainstTheVM:
Here's the upper on my SBR that usually hosts a CMMG .22 homebuild.  Dan Haga Zhukov stock to picatinny adapter, Zhukov stock, and KNS buffer tower endplate.  I like that the handle clears the stock and can be charged, but note that the ejection port is covered by the stock and would probably malfunction after the first shot if fired folded.

https://i.imgur.com/pnglf2Z.jpg
https://imgur.com/aWll3Un.jpg
View Quote

https://danhagadesigns.com/1913-adapter-for-magpul-zhukov-stock/

@RageAgainstTheVM

wow, super cool!  nicely done.
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 7:52:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: czgunner] [#10]
Well, my first 20 rounds wasn't inspiring!
Failure to chamber, failure to fire, and locking back on a full magazine. Not sure why it had these issues. Hopefully next range session I'll be able to work through this.
Also, It did not like my Spike's SBR lower. Absolutely would NOT allow me to close the takedown pin.
Very tight fit on one of my Aero SBR lower. My other Aero is also a no go.
My BRN lower fits fine, just waiting on my stamp so I can have it engraved and build it.
Lastly, with my Turbo mounted and the gas valve in the "S" position, it was sluggish and did not want to cycle. Switched to "U" and it ran "great".
Oddly enough I have been told over and over that the Turbo is a high back pressure can. Obviously not.
Also: lefty, suppressed, SBR....No gas to face. None. What a great setup!
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 5:46:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Well, my first 20 rounds wasn't inspiring!
Failure to chamber, failure to fire, and locking back on a full magazine. Not sure why it had these issues. Hopefully next range session I'll be able to work through this.
Also, It did not like my Spike's SBR lower. Absolutely would NOT allow me to close the takedown pin.
Very tight fit on one of my Aero SBR lower. My other Aero is also a no go.
My BRN lower fits fine, just waiting on my stamp so I can have it engraved and build it.
Lastly, with my Turbo mounted and the gas valve in the "S" position, it was sluggish and did not want to cycle. Switched to "U" and it ran "great".
Oddly enough I have been told over and over that the Turbo is a high back pressure can. Obviously not.
Also: lefty, suppressed, SBR....No gas to face. None. What a great setup!
View Quote

Have you tried removing the plastic piece on the upper to see if it is causing interference making the upper to lower fit too tight?  Just wondering if the plastic buffer warped during manufacturing.
The upper I had did not fit 5 or 6 lowers and the buffer on mine was causing some of the problem.  I returned my upper and was hoping they figured out the problem by now.
Link Posted: 7/2/2020 10:50:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By dtux:
I finally got this wrapped up today.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/235602/img_1592548235136-1467499.jpg

View Quote

That’s great.  
Basically what I want to make except with the 10in upper and an AAC flash hider so I can mount my M4 2k suppressor.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 6:50:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Here is my first prototype of a folding stock design that has the side profile of the AR180 stock.

It uses an A2 butt plate, Doublestar shorty A2 tube, A2 spacer, and A2 bolt. All of that is attached to an airsoft Law Tactical folder knockoff.

Still modifying a few dimensions but I thought y'all might like a peak.

FYI it was a pain in the ass to model.
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 11:06:25 AM EDT
[#14]
I’m highly considering picking up a 10.5” when they come back in stock. The only thing giving me pause is compatibility with ambi lowers, specifically the LMT MARS-L.

Has anyone in here tested it or know if the MARS-L is compatible with the BRN-180? It seems to me like the dust cover would interfere with the right side bolt catch.
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 1:49:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By noobiest:
I’m highly considering picking up a 10.5” when they come back in stock. The only thing giving me pause is compatibility with ambi lowers, specifically the LMT MARS-L.

Has anyone in here tested it or know if the MARS-L is compatible with the BRN-180? It seems to me like the dust cover would interfere with the right side bolt catch.
View Quote

I asked on the Brownells Q&A about compatibility with an LWRCi lower, and they said it wouldn't work.  I would imagine LMT is in the same boat.

Rumor has it there is an updated version of the BRN-180, so maybe it will be addressed then.
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 6:23:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By noobiest:
I'm highly considering picking up a 10.5" when they come back in stock. The only thing giving me pause is compatibility with ambi lowers, specifically the LMT MARS-L.

View Quote

I've got Rainier's ambi lower on mine and it's been flawless so far. I was originally going to go with a MARS lower but decided not to for the same reason.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 11:24:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By EmC_BRD:

I asked on the Brownells Q&A about compatibility with an LWRCi lower, and they said it wouldn't work.  I would imagine LMT is in the same boat.

Rumor has it there is an updated version of the BRN-180, so maybe it will be addressed then.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By EmC_BRD:

I've got Rainier's ambi lower on mine and it's been flawless so far. I was originally going to go with a MARS lower but decided not to for the same reason.

Well that's unfortunate, but I guess I'll wait for a bit and see if there's a gen 2. If not, there's a reason to buy another ambi lower
Link Posted: 7/22/2020 12:04:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By BigRix:
Here is my first prototype of a folding stock design that has the side profile of the AR180 stock.

https://ar180parts.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/349FF0B5-7C0E-4065-BA26-2BEF59BDBD22.jpeg

https://ar180parts.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/ADF9D867-5971-467E-B1C2-BAFF13559A98.jpeg

https://ar180parts.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/52EE6595-A10A-4A20-833A-EA23F588114F-scaled.jpeg

It uses an A2 butt plate, Doublestar shorty A2 tube, A2 spacer, and A2 bolt. All of that is attached to an airsoft Law Tactical folder knockoff.

Still modifying a few dimensions but I thought y'all might like a peak.

FYI it was a pain in the ass to model.
View Quote

Looks great!  Once you get a locked down design do you plan on selling them?
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 10:40:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ihavebigguns] [#19]
Has anyone tried a binary trigger in the brn-180?  I know fostech echo sport works in a non-full auto bolt AR if you remove the trigger lock (a safety feature to keep trigger from outrunning the bolt) cuz it has worked great in my 15-22 that way but I don’t want to try in a 223 gun without more knowledge about if it is likely to outrun the bolt or not.  Any knowledgeable trigger folks have any thoughts?  

This “the firearm blog” link has a great photo of the trigger and trigger lock right behind it.  Can’t figure out how to post photo on this forum from my phone so sorry for the click-through.
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 12:25:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By rpoL98:

it's ACE Doublestar.  3 components:
- hinge.  I went with the steel hinge, with the alignment "boss" to lock everything in place.  Steel folding mechanism with boss.
- AR adapter.  with the corresponding alignment boss, "receiver block".  ARRB.  I tried the compact version, but the compact lockup I think is hokey.
- ACE skeleton buttstock.  I have the 9.5" without the QD socket, it was $30 cheaper (clearance?), now discontinued, i think.

I substituted a Troy QD sling mount end plate, instead of a flat AR end plate.  helps fill in the visual gap between the back of the lower receiver and the hinge/buttstock.  you can set up the hinge to fold left, or right.

https://doublestarusa.com/ace/buttstocks.html?cat=470
https://doublestarusa.com/parts-accessories/ace/folding-mechanisms.html
https://doublestarusa.com/parts-accessories/ace/receiver-blocks.html
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By rpoL98:
Originally Posted By Cammer:
Nice job!  Where did you find that stock? I've been thinking about building one like that.

it's ACE Doublestar.  3 components:
- hinge.  I went with the steel hinge, with the alignment "boss" to lock everything in place.  Steel folding mechanism with boss.
- AR adapter.  with the corresponding alignment boss, "receiver block".  ARRB.  I tried the compact version, but the compact lockup I think is hokey.
- ACE skeleton buttstock.  I have the 9.5" without the QD socket, it was $30 cheaper (clearance?), now discontinued, i think.

I substituted a Troy QD sling mount end plate, instead of a flat AR end plate.  helps fill in the visual gap between the back of the lower receiver and the hinge/buttstock.  you can set up the hinge to fold left, or right.

https://doublestarusa.com/ace/buttstocks.html?cat=470
https://doublestarusa.com/parts-accessories/ace/folding-mechanisms.html
https://doublestarusa.com/parts-accessories/ace/receiver-blocks.html

Thanks for posting all this info.  This is what I want to do eventually for my 180S upper.  Do you know what your LOP is with the stock you used?  What I'm really asking is which length stock, 7.5, 8.5, gets you close with the adapter and hinge to an A1 stock length.  TIA.
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 5:05:15 PM EDT
[#21]
between the 7.5 and the 8.5, my guess would be the 8.5.

I got the 8.5, and it fits more comfortable than the 9.5 I started out with.  only downside of the 8.5, is that it has to be set up as a left-side folder because the charging handle now interferes with the buttstock base.  I think the 7.5 would be a little short, almost like a breacher-type stock.

I don't have anything with an A1 fixed stock.
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 12:01:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Getting ready to remove the M16A1 stock from mine and put on a regular carbine stock. Isn't it great not having to be concerned about which spring and buffer to use with what gas tube length and what the gas port diameter is? I'm keeping the buffer retaining pin because with the BRN-180 upper, it is impinged by the polymer 'shock absorber' when the action is closed and provides a solid, 'spring-loaded' fit. When using a buffer tube for a stock, I install the tube exactly the same as before, threading it in until it retains the buffer retaining pin without obstructing its movement.
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 11:58:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Playing around with a couple configurations for BRN-180s,  I hope these photos show up cuz they do in the previews but never in posts... so far anyway.  The Sig MP brace (buffer tube) has much longer length of pull but not as slim as the sig contour brace.  Camo is just for fun.

Link Posted: 8/10/2020 9:15:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Brownells just released a Gen 2 version of the BRN-180 and BRN-180S, including one chambered in 300 Blackout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2FLFPs0V6I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RreCTfSZ0HI

Link Posted: 8/11/2020 7:07:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Just placed my order for the BRN180s.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 9:50:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Useafortyfive:
Just placed my order for the BRN180s.
View Quote

Me too.

I'm also seriously thinking about picking up the BRN-180S in 300 Blackout.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 2:09:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1saxman] [#27]
Mine is now finished going through changes, I hope. I put an old-style carbine stock on it, took off the ACOG and installed flip sights and a small dot sight. Going all the way back to before the BRN-180 upper, the carbine now weighs about 2 lbs less. I like the ACOG so I'm going to keep it for now, but I've done so well with the dot sights and considering 5.56 is not really a long-distance round, that I decided to set it up for all-purpose shooting to 300 yds. Of course this means I now have three carbines for the same purpose, but I think my sons are going to get some early inheritances in a few years. The question is which? After I get the new configuration to the range my thinking will probably change. Just handling the new lightweight carbine, I really like it.

was:

now:

Link Posted: 8/12/2020 8:33:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Sniper3142:

Me too.

I'm also seriously thinking about picking up the BRN-180S in 300 Blackout.
View Quote

Legit just made the 180S purchase today. Couldn't resist gen 2. I honestly only snatched it up because I suspect it will be in stock for less than a week.
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 9:38:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By ahrion:

Legit just made the 180S purchase today. Couldn't resist gen 2. I honestly only snatched it up because I suspect it will be in stock for less than a week.
View Quote

That is a good guess.  The BRN-180S in 300 Blackout is already sold out.  

Link Posted: 8/13/2020 6:00:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ahrion] [#30]

View Quote

I got the 223 Wylde. Looks like only 16" and 18.5 (pre order) are only ones available.

Geez and I legit just paid all my credit cards off. C'mon
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 10:52:27 AM EDT
[#31]

View Quote

@sniper3142 It's back in stock FYI https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/receivers/upper-receivers/brn-180s-ar-15-300-blk-complete-upper-receiver-assembly-prod136151.aspx
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 1:56:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Useafortyfive] [#32]
The 180s in 223 sold out again.  Mine got delivered today
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 7:18:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Attachment Attached File

Got my KNS adapter, so tomorrow...I assemble!
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 10:04:19 PM EDT
[#34]
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/359239/B7CE0868-1DBA-422C-9A66-4F6AA8A31328_jpe-1547938.JPG
View Quote

Can’t wait to see it put together!
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 12:08:11 AM EDT
[#35]
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/359239/B7CE0868-1DBA-422C-9A66-4F6AA8A31328_jpe-1547938.JPG
View Quote

Dang, dude. I'm kind of digging that
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 12:22:08 AM EDT
[#36]

Dang, dude. I'm kind of digging that
View Quote

I know. Seeing this made me want to buy the Scalarworks PEAK sights, but then I realized I would get pissed off by the constant cowitness with RDS.
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 7:43:06 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By ahrion:

I know. Seeing this made me want to buy the Scalarworks PEAK sights, but then I realized I would get pissed off by the constant cowitness with RDS.
View Quote

It will eventually get some sort of red dot optic, but I have a couple carry handle sights laying around so for now it gets an old-school look
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 7:11:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Useafortyfive] [#38]
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 5:17:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but it looks like the BRN180 bolt is a PWS 5.56 bolt w/ their bolt spring, which theoretically make any milspec bolt work in this, in addition to a milspec firing pin and retaining pin
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 2:08:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Tempted to splurge on the 180S in .300blk.  They are back in stock (for now).
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 4:07:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: giantpune] [#41]
@RageAgainstTheVM
I went with the similar setup, but pistol instead of SBR.

Link Posted: 8/21/2020 4:25:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ahrion] [#42]
Just got my 180S and put this Trijicon RMR RM09 on it.

Still building out the lower.

Link Posted: 8/21/2020 4:59:41 PM EDT
[#43]

@mrgunsngear
Did you by chance run this without any muzzle device?
Link Posted: 8/22/2020 1:35:04 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By giantpune:

@RageAgainstTheVM
I went with the similar setup, but piston instead of SBR.

https://iili.io/dvYacv.md.png
https://iili.io/dvY09p.md.png
https://iili.io/dvYcSR.md.png
https://iili.io/dvY1AN.md.png
https://iili.io/dvYYKJ.png
View Quote

Very nice looking setup!

Which Brace is that?
Link Posted: 8/22/2020 4:52:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By panthermark:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-aAKvAj0u4

@mrgunsngear
Did you by chance run this without any muzzle device?
View Quote

only with the factory flash hider
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 12:58:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Mrgunsngear:

only with the factory flash hider
View Quote

Great review of the BRN-180S!

Wondering if you've also had a chance to handle the Sig Sauer MCX Virtus in either the 11.5 inch 5.56mm, or 9 inch 300 blackout configurations?  Curious how the Sig would compare to the BRN-180S.

Link Posted: 8/24/2020 6:48:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Attachment Attached File

Field stripped bolt assembly
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 10:13:59 PM EDT
[#48]

Very nice looking setup!

Which Brace is that?
View Quote

Its the strongarm brace i think.
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 1:23:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Any opinions on the best adaptor to use with a standard lower and if you want it to lock on the left hand side of the weapon?  Without modifications that require tooling (machining, dremel, etc.), please.  Would really like to use a stock close to the original AR-180 or skeleton.  

Link Posted: 8/27/2020 2:18:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Mudborne:
Any opinions on the best adaptor to use with a standard lower and if you want it to lock on the left hand side of the weapon?  Without modifications that require tooling (machining, dremel, etc.), please.  Would really like to use a stock close to the original AR-180 or skeleton.  

View Quote

No one has swivel adapters that they sell seperately besides Lage. You'll have to purchase an entire stock assembly like SB Tactical products or Sig stocks or braces.
Page / 13
BRN-180 Review (Page 8 of 13)
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top