User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
BRN-180 Review (Page 11 of 13)
Page / 13
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 8:28:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mitsuman47] [#1]
Took delivery of my 10.5" upper last week. Got it out to the range and it's running great. Only problem is that I'm a lefty and it was spitting brass right onto my support arm. Some of them didn't bounce off. They actually sat there in the crease of my elbow.

Anyone have a fix for this? I ordered a straight charging handle for it, but haven't gotten to the range with it yet.

Hopefully chicks dig burns too.
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 11:49:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mitsuman47:
Took delivery of my 10.5" upper last week. Got it out to the range and it's running great. Only problem is that I'm a lefty and it was spitting brass right onto my support arm. Some of them didn't bounce off. They actually sat there in the crease of my elbow.

Any have a fix for this? I ordered a straight charging handle for it, but haven't gotten to the range with it yet.

View Quote

I didn't have this same issue. My recommendation is to run it with a higher load. I am a lefty myself and hate platforms that do this. Do you have your gas turnt up?
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 8:44:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mitsuman47] [#3]
Originally Posted By ahrion:

I didn't have this same issue. My recommendation is to run it with a higher load. I am a lefty myself and hate platforms that do this. Do you have your gas turnt up?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ahrion:

Any have a fix for this? I ordered a straight charging handle for it, but haven't gotten to the range with it yet.

Tried the gas in the suppressed and unsuppressed setting with and w/o a can.

Made it out to the range today and the straight charging handle seems to have fixed the hot brass on support arm issue. No burns in about 80 rounds.
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 9:40:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Tried the gas in the suppressed and unsuppressed setting with and w/o a can.

Made it out to the range today and the straight charging handle seems to have fixed the hot brass on support arm issue. No burns in about 80 rounds.
View Quote

Good to hear you resolved your hot brass problem.

Any pics of your set up with the straight charging handle?

One of mine with a modified Firebolt Lower.

Link Posted: 8/27/2021 10:20:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Removed_californian] [#5]
Do we know if anyone has an M14/AK style charging handle in the works or possibly a folding handle? I understand the inferior bend of the gooseneck interfaces with the interior dust cover bevel (supposing it doesn’t clear on initial engagement) and nonstandard chargers can catch, but I think there’s easy workarounds for it too.
Link Posted: 8/28/2021 4:59:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Anyone tried an ACR stock on a brn-180?

There’s pic rail adapters available for the ACR stocks.  Wondering if it’ll fit ok
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 7:48:21 AM EDT
[#7]
As an aside - both Brownells and PWS support for the BRN-180 has been fantastically good, IMO. I pinged Brownells with a few issues, they pinged PWS, PWS got things out to me ASAP. Twice.

If I had any one request for future updates, it would be that PWS/Brownells should probably package 2-3 spare clips for the gas piston in with the upper as it's really easy to bend one out of alignment/spec and then lose it at the range. (If you're a dummy like me and removed things in the wrong order, anyway )

And maybe a big "USE THIS SCREW TO REMOVE HANDGUARD" etched into the bottom of the handguard around the one big screw...so you don't do the dumb thing and remove the 8 tiny screws. Like I did, because I'm a dummy.

(Hey, what can I say, I'm an accomplished idiot...I'm trying to help make it future idiot-proof )
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 2:10:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Moldymuffin] [#8]
yup
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 2:28:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mitsuman47] [#9]
Originally Posted By Evil_Ed:
As an aside - both Brownells and PWS support for the BRN-180 has been fantastically good, IMO. I pinged Brownells with a few issues, they pinged PWS, PWS got things out to me ASAP. Twice.

If I had any one request for future updates, it would be that PWS/Brownells should probably package 2-3 spare clips for the gas piston in with the upper as it's really easy to bend one out of alignment/spec and then lose it at the range. (If you're a dummy like me and removed things in the wrong order, anyway )

And maybe a big "USE THIS SCREW TO REMOVE HANDGUARD" etched into the bottom of the handguard around the one big screw...so you don't do the dumb thing and remove the 8 tiny screws. Like I did, because I'm a dummy.

(Hey, what can I say, I'm an accomplished idiot...I'm trying to help make it future idiot-proof )
View Quote
Does the clip falling out render the gun inoperable? @Evil_Ed
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 2:49:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BrickWurX] [#10]
Originally Posted By Removed_californian:
Do we know if anyone has an M14/AK style charging handle in the works or possibly a folding handle? I understand the inferior bend of the gooseneck interfaces with the interior dust cover bevel (supposing it doesn’t clear on initial engagement) and nonstandard chargers can catch, but I think there’s easy workarounds for it too.
View Quote

We’ve played with a few variations of forward folding charging handles. Somewhat problematic depending on the size, it can block the port during reciprocation causing ejection issues. Make it too short, and it sort of defeats the purpose.
With that written, our design had zero practical use outside of the custom build we had been working on. If the post that fits into the carrier was designed to drop down ¼ to 3/8 inch instead or rising, this would provide an offset which would allow clearance. A modified M&H SCAR style folding handle could work well.
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 8:51:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Tankdawg0057:

There’s pic rail adapters available for the ACR stocks.  Wondering if it’ll fit ok
View Quote

Someone with a BRN Lower would have to measure how long the picitinny mount location is.

Link Posted: 11/13/2021 9:16:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Does the clip falling out render the gun inoperable? @Evil_Ed
View Quote

You know, I don't know - mine immediately went into single-shot mode...but that %100 could have been the shit ammo I was using, too. I was wrestling with a few different problems in that session, but when it was a consistent single shot only gun and then I noticed the clip was missing, I packed it in for the day at that point. The clip is really easy to bend (which is how I lost mine in the first place)...so I'd pick up a few spares if you could. I'm not sure what size c-clip it is but I'm sure McMaster or Grainger or wherever will sell spares.
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 4:58:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Moldymuffin] [#13]
Nevermind
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 4:37:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Attachment Attached File

Got my Primary Arms ACSS Cyclops 1x, Geissele SSA-e, and a Clouddefensive OWL on the foldy Boi
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 8:03:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Removed_californian] [#15]
Originally Posted By BrickWurX:

We’ve played with a few variations of forward folding charging handles. Somewhat problematic depending on the size, it can block the port during reciprocation causing ejection issues. Make it too short, and it sort of defeats the purpose.
With that written, our design had zero practical use outside of the custom build we had been working on. If the post that fits into the carrier was designed to drop down ¼ to 3/8 inch instead or rising, this would provide an offset which would allow clearance. A modified M&H SCAR style folding handle could work well.
View Quote

Kinda what I figured but had to ask. Still holding out for alternatives.

Also updated paint on the GreatValueTM Virtus

Link Posted: 11/24/2021 4:18:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tug153] [#16]
Originally Posted By Removed_californian:

Kinda what I figured but had to ask. Still holding out for alternatives.

Also updated paint on the GreatValueTM Virtus

https://i.imgur.com/NFP9sV0.png
View Quote

Well, that looks pretty nice.

How do you get the dust cover off?

Also, what happens when you take the 2 screws out about the pivot pin?
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 4:39:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Those hold the barrel/trunion to the upper

There's a big giant single screw on the bottom that holds the handguard to the barrel trunion...basically you don't touch any of the small screws on it, and only ever touch the big giant screw on the bottom if you need to remove the handguard.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 9:11:43 PM EDT
[#18]
I meant for painting. In his pictures, the screws and the dust cover are still black.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 12:29:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By l_Ferret_l:
Well, that looks pretty nice.

How do you get the dust cover off?

Also, what happens when you take the 2 screws out about the pivot pin?
View Quote

You’re thinking about it all backwards.  This isn’t the result of detail stripping, but meticulous masking.  Each bolt and screw got a circular piece of tape cut around it.  The dust cover was wrapped in a cocoon of masking tape as well. The only things I took off the stripped upper was the bolt carrier and the charging handle.  Everything else that was screwed in or bolted on from factory stayed in place.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 3:33:42 PM EDT
[#20]
I put my brn-180 together a few days ago.  Upper is nice, snug on the brn lower.  I'm using the A1 handgrip from brownells, and there is a gap with it screwed all the way in, that I can see the detent and safety springs.  I put the PSA 2 stage trigger for their precision builds, and it fires when I release the trigger to rest.  Placed a military trigger in, still does but not as much.  Have noticed the hammer pin rotates when the hammer functions.

Is this an out if spec lower?  Waiting on some KNS anti-roll pin kits to come in to see what happens.
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 11:37:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By yamahawarrior89:

Someone with a BRN Lower would have to measure how long the picitinny mount location is.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/372855/Screenshot_20211113-075128-2165138.png
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By yamahawarrior89:
Originally Posted By Tankdawg0057:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/372855/Screenshot_20211113-075128-2165138.png

@Tankdawg0057
@yamahawarrior89
I did install a ACR stock on my BRN-180 upper with Brownells BRN180 forged lower, with the Dan Haga 1913 ACR adapter.
Positives:
+balances the rifle well
+ACR stock is probably the best designed polymer buttstock out there
+doesn't have a buffer tube, or any drawbacks with those
+folds completely and doesn't interfere with charging handle, ejection, or trigger(you can fire this folded) does fold to the right side
+adjustable cheek weld height from what position you choose to tighten the adapter down
+Adapter and stock work well together
Downsides
-metal adapter does chew the plastic stock when folding/unfolding at first.
-adapter is large and tall, depending on where you mount it, it can get in the way of your trigger hand. I mounted mine high, flush to the lower's 1913 rail section on the bottom, and the adapter protrudes up top.
-metal adapter only holds onto the lower reciever by clamping force on the sides of the lower. It doesn't have a crossbrace that goes into the 1913 slots, if you get what I mean. Just loctite and torque the two screws on the side tight so it won't slide up/down.
-it's expensive. Magpul is supposedly restarting production of ACR stocks, so that may help.
-there is inevitably vertical overhang of the mount and stock, no matter what position you tighten at.
-Install is a pain too. The ACR stock comes with a 2.5"~3" roll pin that has to come out, and then put back in with the Dan Haga adapter. Make sure to have a 3/16" roll pin punch and a good hammer.

Overall, you can't go wrong, the ACR stock is great, just a little shorter and left folding and it would be perfect.
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 11:47:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Knightzone] [#22]

Link Posted: 12/22/2021 2:04:10 PM EDT
[#23]

Anyway you could show the entire gun ?

this has my interest.....
Link Posted: 12/23/2021 11:15:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Knightzone] [#24]
Originally Posted By KineticAp1:

Anyway you could show the entire gun ?

this has my interest.....
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/28/2021 2:31:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Knightzone:

https://i.imgur.com/VWnLqlh.jpg
View Quote

yes.....  I like this !!!!!
Link Posted: 12/29/2021 12:52:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Here is my recently acquired BRN180 build.

It was built by a shooting buddy I know and cerakoted by one of my close friends. When it went up for grabs I scooped it up.

I’m going to change a few things like the muzzle device and pistol grip and add some iron sights and an optic.

Link Posted: 12/30/2021 2:56:02 PM EDT
[#27]

Just a few more changes then I’ll be done
Link Posted: 12/31/2021 7:33:09 AM EDT
[#28]
^^^ Badazz
Link Posted: 12/31/2021 8:58:06 PM EDT
[#29]
First prototype hand guard for the rifle length BRN-180. Shown with my Sterling AR-180 mule.

So far I'm liking it.

If it works as well as the shorty I will be happy.

Link Posted: 12/31/2021 9:07:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 2:06:29 PM EDT
[#31]
I modded a G36 hand guard from my parts bin and slid it onto my BRN180S upper. The hole in the top of the G36 handguard oriented perfectly for a screws to slide right across a slot on the upper rail.

Link Posted: 1/5/2022 7:23:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 1:06:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Mauser556:
I put my brn-180 together a few days ago.  Upper is nice, snug on the brn lower.  I'm using the A1 handgrip from brownells, and there is a gap with it screwed all the way in, that I can see the detent and safety springs.  I put the PSA 2 stage trigger for their precision builds, and it fires when I release the trigger to rest.  Placed a military trigger in, still does but not as much.  Have noticed the hammer pin rotates when the hammer functions.

Is this an out if spec lower?  Waiting on some KNS anti-roll pin kits to come in to see what happens.
View Quote

Not sure if you figured this out yet.  On the A1 retro grip and my Brownells retro lower, I had to elongate the screw hole in the grip in order for it to seat properly.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 9:50:41 PM EDT
[#34]
This weekend I’m going to put the BRN180S against the Galil Ace 13” and Bren 2 11” for ultimate 5.56 SHTF forearm.

Link Posted: 1/22/2022 8:38:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ahrion] [#35]
Stealth Project 5.56 Stealth QD suppressor FINALLY out of ATF jail. This thing is stupid light even with the can. Might switch out this Tactical Link grip for a Magpul K2+. This one is slightly more vertical than the Magpul.

Link Posted: 3/13/2022 8:18:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Moldymuffin] [#36]

Mcmastercarr 90153A216 18-8 Stainless Steel Hairpin Clips for 1/4" Shaft Diameter. 1/4" 1/32" 7/32 (.033 x 5/8).
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 1:15:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Citizen904:
This weekend I'm going to put the BRN180S against the Galil Ace 13" and Bren 2 11" for ultimate 5.56 SHTF forearm.

https://i.ibb.co/qWp7RCj/3-B245-CE3-605-A-44-B0-B67-B-D2-C6-A0-AEAC68.gif
View Quote
Bren 2 isn't up to snuff. Bad fitment and accuracy is atrocious
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 4:53:30 AM EDT
[#38]
Lack of spare parts is depressing.
Ended up buying a spare upper
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 10:52:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By rbarry3715:

I have both and an MPX. THE BRN180 is about the same cost as an MCX was a few years ago. Hard to compare in this market. I bought the BRN 180 upper last summer then the lower which came in February. Still need to assemble the lower. I won't say the MCX and BRN180 are the same quality as I don't shoot enough to prove much of anything. I can say that the MCX has proven to not be very accurate.
View Quote
MCX has proven not to be accurate???  Early versions maybe. Virtus is very accurate
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 4:22:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Can't believe no one has posted about... charging nub.

Link Posted: 4/25/2022 9:47:40 AM EDT
[#41]
@MoldyMuffin

Thanks for the suggestion. I saw that on OT Defense for around $20. Seems like it would be decent to try.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 8:04:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Took my 10" to the range today with the Turbo attached.
Pretty windy (WY), but I was having no issues banging the 300 yard plates through the cheapo Vortex prism optic.
Love this thing!
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 5:11:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Some more info for the nerds, if ur not a nerd don't read it

Link Posted: 5/23/2022 9:25:54 AM EDT
[#44]
@Moldymuffin

Thanks for that info graphic. Useful for spare parts and right size tools
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 4:01:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Veers57:
@Moldymuffin

Thanks for that info graphic. Useful for spare parts and right size tools
View Quote

Yeah, let me know if you need handguard cone screw cause they only sell this crap in lifetime-supply-quanities.

Would like spare bolt carrier Brownell, make spare carrier (but don't need 50 ).
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 8:51:33 AM EDT
[#46]
@Moldymuffin

Damn. What are they expecting you do unit level armory repairs? That's a ton of screws. I'll message you for some. Thanks
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 8:57:47 AM EDT
[#47]
YEah, the clip on the gas block on mine came loose and launched downrange one day...I contacted Brownells, who said to contact PWS, who sent me like 15 of them as a replacement

So...I'm all set for when that clip comes off and gets launched again

I need to get some small wire and wire it to the rail or something, so it won't launch far..
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 12:02:47 AM EDT
[#48]

Finally got the can on it
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 4:56:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Citizen904] [#49]
The BRN180S is ready to do battle for the ‘ultimate SHTF firearm’ (side charging, folding brace, stanag mag taking 5.56’s) against the Galil Ace, FM15, Bren 2, PSA JAKL and inbound P556 and M85NP.

Link Posted: 8/26/2022 12:22:44 AM EDT
[#50]
Has anyone with the new BRN-180 folding stock figured way to use a qd sling?  I’m half tempted to install some form of a qd socket to the stock.
Page / 13
BRN-180 Review (Page 11 of 13)
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top