Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 18
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 7:02:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

We have to send the rifle back to the mfg to have the pin driven out and redrilled.  Shouldn't be too long, but it's not something we can do in-house.  We apologize for the trouble.
View Quote
@Brownells
Are you talking about the FSB or the Rear Sight?

If FSB, the component itself isn't canted in relation to the upper/rear sight from what I can tell.
Hopefully the 'fix' isn't to purposely cant the FSB so it lines up with the POI.

If rear sight, I guess it makes sense to have the rear sight drum/post drilled wider so it would allow more windage adjustment.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 3:44:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Wow they weren't kidding when they said the charging handle was going to be stiff. I took the liberty of a little photo shoot with some gear before heading out to the range.

Link Posted: 9/22/2018 6:03:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice grip Velken.

Here's my BRN-10B currently. Got the three prong FH on. Painted the stock and handguards with Rustoleum Leather Brown. My AR10-style grip is painted in Rustoleum Kona Brown. I still have to attempt a faux Bakelite paint job on the grip.

Link Posted: 9/22/2018 6:26:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Man I'm so jelly

Am I seeing it right that these don't have the cut outs for the carry handle scope? Not bitching, just curious.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 6:44:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Man I'm so jelly
Am I seeing it right that these don't have the cut outs for the carry handle scope? Not bitching, just curious.
View Quote
No standard carry handle scope for these.  Think about it - the charging handle would run into the bottom of the scope mount.  That is why those sly Dutch used a different forging for the early scope ready  AR10's.

Link Posted: 9/23/2018 12:17:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

No standard carry handle scope for these.  Think about it - the charging handle would run into the bottom of the scope mount.  That is why those sly Dutch used a different forging for the early scope ready  AR10's.

http://oi64.tinypic.com/11m9jrs.jpg

http://oi41.tinypic.com/16lb31x.jpg
View Quote
I understand that. That's why I asked if these had that special cut out for the particular optics the Dutch/Portugese sniper variants had. I figured a repro scope would eventually be made as well.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 6:33:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 7:26:55 PM EDT
[#8]
My buddy's BRN-10B is 7 lb. 13.6 oz. without a magazine in it.

If that helps anyone.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 8:12:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Velken you bastard, you won the Internet today!

That is the illest thing i’ve seen all day!

Better post photos & groups from your outing!

You guys r gonna make me order one.

If the BR-10A really only is 4oz heavier, I’ll opt for that instead.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 9:08:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 9:10:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 9:37:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:. The front sight is what we were referring to.  We are looking into options to allow more adjustment of the rear sight as well, including reducing the dovetail size and opening up the internal diameter of the rear sight cut.
View Quote
If you've done a faithful execution of the original design, then ppl are bitching about the original design.  You can't fix history.

And good on ya for not putting up with wheedling.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 11:02:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If you've done a faithful execution of the original design, then ppl are bitching about the original design.  You can't fix history.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:. The front sight is what we were referring to.  We are looking into options to allow more adjustment of the rear sight as well, including reducing the dovetail size and opening up the internal diameter of the rear sight cut.

The front sight post is supposedly pretty close to the original design, however the issue is that they said since they didn't have an original sample, they based the upper receiver off of a modern AR, which happened to be different.  That's why the front sight post was machined so low, because the original AR10 upper was taller or something.

I thought I had heard somewhere else though that they had laser scanned an AR10 upper to use for the forgings?  If that was the case, it should be pretty close to the original and not a modern upper.

They could fix the short post issue by making the shelf on the front sight tower 1/8" lower.  That wouldn't be visually noticeable, and would allow for a taller front sight post for the same zero.

I think the main issue is that these were supposed to be rough sighted in at 25 yards before shipping and it appears, with mine and a few others, that they either weren't or were allowed to go out even with the windage being way off.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 1:55:50 PM EDT
[#14]
@Brownells

I am wondering if you've surpassed AI's production numbers yet.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 8:13:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 8:49:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Do you have a BRN-10B?
I don't think you fully understand why me and maybe others are not happy with our BRN-10B.

It shoots 4" to the right at 100 yards with the rear sight maxed out to the left.
No matter how I look at it.... it is a big problem.

The rear sight only allows 1/32" windage adjustment, which is barely anything at all...
I've seen pictures of the original AR10 rear sight, and it is without a doubt not the same as BRN-10's rear sight.
Even Brownell stated the rear sight assembly is 'modern'.

To sum it up... at least for my case, and yes, maybe you are not directing your comment at me, the issue I have with my BRN-10B is a legitimate reason for my "bitching".
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 12:36:24 AM EDT
[#17]
How were rifles from AI zeroed?  Did they make the sight a certain height and then remove material to reduce the height as needed until it zeroed for elevation (something I've seen done for other firearms)?
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 12:28:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
@Brownells

If FSB, the component itself isn't canted in relation to the upper/rear sight from what I can tell.
Hopefully the 'fix' isn't to purposely cant the FSB so it lines up with the POI.

If rear sight, I guess it makes sense to have the rear sight drum/post drilled wider so it would allow more windage adjustment.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We have to send the rifle back to the mfg to have the pin driven out and redrilled.  Shouldn't be too long, but it's not something we can do in-house.  We apologize for the trouble.
@Brownells

Looks like that'll be the "fix".

Maybe it's better to wait for them to iron out the bugs from the first batch before buying?
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 1:49:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Looks like that'll be the "fix".

Maybe it's better to wait for them to iron out the bugs from the first batch before buying?
View Quote
Yeah, it seems like no matter what product the early batches always have issues.
Although IMHO it is a minor fix to get it corrected. All they need is to drill a bigger opening for the rear sight to allow more windage adjustment.

Small fix that can correct a big POI problem.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 4:36:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Wow they weren't kidding when they said the charging handle was going to be stiff. I took the liberty of a little photo shoot with some gear before heading out to the range.

https://i.imgur.com/hLm7Ng7.jpg
View Quote
Nice pic! I’d like to know more about that belt. Is that a repro OD BAR belt? Where did you get it?
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 12:24:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Nope, original M1945 BAR belt in OD, from Omaha's Surplus. The Portuguese produced their own copies, sans the US markings.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 1:04:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Where did you and Velkin get your grips? Did you make them?
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 2:17:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Where did you and Velkin get your grips? Did you make them?
View Quote
I designed the grip, and had it 3D printed thanks to BigRix. See my thread:

AR10-style grip for BRN-10 / AR15

Brownells is coming out with a retro style grip, but theirs looks like it's based on the later Dutch version.

BROWNELLS - BRN-10 PISTOL GRIP
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 6:53:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Brownells is coming out with a retro style grip, but theirs looks like it's based on the later Dutch version.

View Quote
@I-LUV-AR15s What was your grip based on?
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 11:25:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I based my grip design on the earlier version used on the Sudanese, Guatemalan, and Cuban contract guns. Brownells grip looks like the version used on the later Portuguese contract guns.

Here's a comparison of the two AI grip versions:
http://www.ar10.nl/pistolgrip.htm
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 4:36:18 PM EDT
[#26]
I sent Brownells a NOS Sudanese AR10 grip and it was scanned.  Their present grip looks like a good rendition except the original was a composite material.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 10:09:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Thanks. Nice job by you and Rick
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 12:48:17 AM EDT
[#28]
@Brownells
Just wondering what the normal repair time schedule is for the BRN-10B.
I figure 12 business days would be enough time for a rear sight repair/fix?
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 4:58:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Anyone else shoot their BRN-10 rifle?

How is it holding up?

How’s accuracy? Plinking steel at distance?
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 5:46:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Anyone else shoot their BRN-10 rifle?

How is it holding up?

How’s accuracy? Plinking steel at distance?
View Quote
Me and another member had already sent our BRN-10B back for 'repair'
The rear sight only allows 1/32" windage adjustment which is just not enough.... even when all the way to the left, it still shoots 4" to the right at 100 yards.

Accuracy was very poor using Malaysian surplus (5MOA) and current production MEN(4MOA).
Malaysian typically shoots around 2MOA 10rd group through my Stg58 FAL, and JRA M14.
However, the BRN-10B shoots the DAG surplus pretty well, around 2.5MOA 10rd group at 100 yards.

Another However.... though the DAG shot good.... it doesn't have enough pressure to fully cycle the rifle, which the rifle will close on an empty chamber as it won't feed the next round....
It will do this 1 or 2 times through a 20rd mag.

The charging handle is extremely stiff at first.... I then disassembled the rifle and manually cycled just the CH itself about 50 times, and it got better.

As posted above your post.... I am still waiting on the rifle to be shipped back... it's been 2 weeks.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 7:23:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Thanks for the feedback & bummer about your rifle.

At least they’ll make it right & cover shipping both ways.

Early adoption comes with risk...at least they are standing behind their products. Your experience will help many others as @Brownells will try to flow down the fix to subsequent rifles.

Cold comfort, I know, but your rifle will be closer to what you were expecting.

Thanks again for the feedback.
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 11:08:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

"Anyone else shoot their BRN-10 rifle?

How is it holding up?

How’s accuracy? Plinking steel at distance?"

I shot steel with it at the Brownells range in August. I don't remember the size if the target but I was rapid firing at 100 yards, standing,  using a 4x4 post as a brace and out of 20 rounds I may have missed once or twice. I also hit steel at 500 yards consistently from the bench which surprised the heck out of me since I'm in my 50s and I must use a scope for distance shooting due to eye problems. I was very impressed with the rifle I shot and I have shot original AR-10s.
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 11:37:21 PM EDT
[#33]
... about to be end of the 3rd week since the rifle was received by Brownells.
I have a feeling the rear sight 'repair' might be more like a 'redesign'.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 10:20:28 PM EDT
[#34]
The Brownells waffle magazines are now up for pre-order.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 9:25:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 11:51:36 AM EDT
[#36]
View Quote
Oh man! I need one of these AR 10s.

I think the Sudanese version looks better but to me the Portuguese has more historical significance.

Who is going to be the first retrohead to modify a Brownells into a Portuguese AR10??
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 6:13:33 PM EDT
[#37]
InRangeTV mud tests the BRN-10-A

Mud Test: Brownells BRN10-A
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 7:45:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Did anyone else who've sent in their rifle to Brownells gotten the rifle back?
It's been exactly 29 days, and I still don't have my rifle.
They keep telling me the rifle have been sent to the manufacturer, but other than that, no other information....

Just wondering if others have gotten theirs back....
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 9:55:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Nope, and I'm skeptical about the supposed fix they'll be doing, IE just canting the FSB.  I'm thinking I might be better off cancelling, getting a refund, and re ordering some time in the future once they've worked out more of the kinks.  They also need to address the very stubby FSB by machining the shelf in the FSB lower.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 10:20:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Nope, and I'm skeptical about the supposed fix they'll be doing, IE just canting the FSB.  I'm thinking I might be better off cancelling, getting a refund, and re ordering some time in the future once they've worked out more of the kinks.  They also need to address the very stubby FSB by machining the shelf in the FSB lower.
View Quote
I planned on getting one of the first batch, but decided to wait a while to see how they were.
I am glad I waited now.

Maybe the next batch I will get one of each.

Ron
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 8:32:53 AM EDT
[#41]
The fact it’s raking his long portends good things IMO.

These fellas may get back slightly re-designed new uppers hat addresses the issues.

At least that’s what I’m hoping.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 1:10:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The fact it’s raking his long portends good things IMO.

These fellas may get back slightly re-designed new uppers hat addresses the issues.

At least that’s what I’m hoping.
View Quote
Wishful thinking.  No way you're getting a new upper.  What might happen is down the road, newer production ones might get modified parts, but not these ones.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 5:11:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Brownells told me the manufacturer is working on a new design for the rear sight which will prolong the already long wait time(already at 1.25 month) for the repair/redesign...

I decided to get a refund and hope to get the ‘fixed’ version down the road.

I really enjoy their XM16E1 clone, but the AR10 didn’t turn out too good from the git go
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 10:27:36 AM EDT
[#44]
Unfortunate to hear, but understandable.

I want to order their rifles next year, but I also want this re-design already implemented.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 3:46:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Let the accessorizing begin!

Link Posted: 10/24/2018 4:02:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 12:22:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
We apologize for the delay in getting these back out.  Our current inventory has been inspected and measures are in place to prevent any front sight cant.

Future receivers will have a rear peep sight with rounded contours that allow further windage adjustment.  These uppers will also receive a wider cutout at the peep location to allow drifting beyond the current shaft cutout.

For any customers that have not received their rifle back, please PM your order on here so that we can ensure the gun is returned or exchanged immediately.

Thank you for everyone's input and patience on this project.
View Quote
Does this mean that if I ordered a rifle today, it will ship with the re-design already implemented?
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 8:34:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Does this mean that if I ordered a rifle today, it will ship with the re-design already implemented?
View Quote
This. Inquiring minds want to know.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 10:38:44 PM EDT
[#49]
When I spoke to the Brownells FFL lady(IIRC, Samantha), she said the redesign is about 1 month.
She also mentioned if I accept the replacement instead of the refund, the FFL department can make sure the replacement rifle will have the updated design.

So... although I don't know exactly when the redesign will be implemented on all inventory.... at least from the information provided, I am guessing 1-2 months
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 8:15:05 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 18
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top