Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2018 9:01:24 PM EDT
I tried to ask this in another thread, but I didn't phrase my question correctly I guess.

If you are running a BFS 3 in a 9mm AR, how do you like it?
What are the specs of the gun it is running in, specifically buffer weight?
How hard is it to get hammer follow?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 7:56:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I absolutely love mine.
I have the BFSlll in a New Frontier Glock lower
Taccom 5.25" barrel upper with Taccom Extreme 9mm bolt.
I was running a Colt 9mm buffer with spacer and carbine spring.

No issues at all. Never outran the bolt.

I have a Taccom buffer system in it now but have not had a chance to shoot it.

Dave N
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 3:10:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you sir!
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 3:25:51 PM EDT
[#3]
If it wasn't for Scott and Co.  I could have moved mine over to a 9mm and tried it out...  but now my binary is in TX with my son.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 8:53:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Try it in the simplest form first.
My set up was very basic. And it worked great.

Dave N
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 9:46:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I am using a 5.5 QC10 barrel abd QC 10 bolt.  Tried a variety of buffers and springs and would get hammer drop on empty case malfunction (forget the name) often. I switched to a Battle Arms Development PDW stock and their proprietary buffer and spring have got it up 95%.  I find a with a consistent trigger rythem I can get through a full mag, but if I try to go as fast as I can, I will get the same type of malfunction.  I run it suppressed 100% of the time too, so the back pressure may have something to do with it. NEvertheless, its fun and my friends/new shooters get a kick out of it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 4:56:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Had my binary in a 300bo pistol first then switched it to my glock mag AR9 pistol. Love it.
Zero hiccups.
I'd have to check my buffer. I think its 8oz extended buffer.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 11:28:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I have one in a NFA/Joebobs spartan lower.

I have been using it with a KAK extended/heavy buffer until very recently.

My new set up (in theory) should cause trouble, but so far, so good. No broker trigger pins or bolt stops yet everyone.

I replaced my SB Tactical PDW brace with the shorter Maxim PDW brace. Using the standard short buffer and their heavy spring.

I have an upper with a 4.5" Faxon barrel with a cheap 4" free flot handguard. I have this because I can switch barrels and bolts with no tools for my 4.5" CMMG .22 barrel and CMMG .22 bolt.

I only shoot subsonic 9mm reloads, that are around 950 FPS...nothing hot at all.

I have about 200 rounds of 9mm through it now with the new Maxim brace, and it runs perfect in normal and Bianary mode with both 9mm and .22LR.

It is by far my new favorite!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 4:55:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for that detailed post.
Exactly what I'm looking for.

I just ordered a BFS3.

Edited to add:
That's a beauty, by the way!
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 5:06:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for that detailed post.
Exactly what I'm looking for.

I just ordered a BFS3.
View Quote
Happy to help you spend your money
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 2:31:56 PM EDT
[#10]
With a 10% coupon, and $17 in gift card I had on there, the BFS 3 was $288 delivered from Optics Planet.

Hope to install it on Monday.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 7:51:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Be careful not to drop the slave pin out.
It's a bitch getting the springs back in.

Dave N
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 1:02:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If it wasn't for Scott and Co.  I could have moved mine over to a 9mm and tried it out...  but now my binary is in TX with my son.
View Quote
Trust me, I feel your pain.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 2:46:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Here's a mini review of my range trip with the BFS 3 installed in my shorty AR 9:

Wow!!!!  
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 3:05:24 PM EDT
[#14]
I left the springs on the hammer and trigger as they came out of the package.
I had a long 7.5 oz Mas Defense buffer with a carbine spring, Mas Defense 9mm barrel in an Anderson upper, Spinta bolt, with a SBPDW stock.
The lower is a Colt mag PSA lower.

Shot 128 rounds (4-32 round mags) with only 2 issues.
I outran the trigger one time on a mag full of Wolf fmj.
The bolt locked back half way through a mag of Win. white box.
(I may have to take a few mm off of the bolt catch finger. Some have had to do this with PSA lowers.)

After 12 rounds of my 5th mag, the bolt locked back and would not seat a round.
My SBPDW buffer tube had come loose and backed out about one turn, locking the bolt.
(The continuous stiff recoil was the problem.)
Since I didn't have a castle nut wrench with me, I was done.

Summary:
The BFS is fun!
2 shot and 4 shot bursts are easy.
I actually had trouble stopping a few times.
It was really easy to just buzz through the entire mag.

If you get one of these, take twice the ammo you think you'll need.
When the bolt locked up, I had less than 50 rounds of 9mm left and I had wanted to test some Glocks.
Ammo just disappears!

-With a Colt mag lower, get a MagLula, you can thank me later.
-Love the looks of the PDW but I wish there was a way to peen the locking collar. I apparently didn't use enough LocTite.
-I had put LocTite on one of the screws for the BFS safety. I didn't realize there were screws on both sides. Left side was loose when I finished.
-I agree with others that it's stupid to make the safety assy. wide enough for .308 receivers when I'm sure more are being installed multi. cal. lowers.
I don't like how the levers stick out on either side.
-I checked a lot of my brass and steel casings.
No bulges!
Nicely centered primer strikes.
-I was shooting at 11x17 silhouettes and once I got the hang of the trigger it was fairly easy to keep all my shots on paper at 25 yards in binary mode.

All of the mixed reviews had me really nervous so I'm optimistic at this point.
Looking forward to heading back out with 2-300 rounds of ammo for more testing.

Just to reiterate:
The BFS 3 is fun!
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 4:14:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
-I agree with others that it's stupid to make the safety assy. wide enough for .308 receivers when I'm sure more are being installed multi. cal. lowers.
View Quote
I have several brands of AR15 lowers, and a couple of brands of AR-308 lowers, and the lower receiver width at the fire control area, safety selector, is the same.  no difference in width between the AR-15 and the AR-308, in that area.

on my AR-308s, the AR-308 is wider at the mag area, and also, maybe, above the fire control area, to mate to with wider upper receiver, depending on brand.

in my limited experience, the safety selector on the AR-308 sticks out the same, or not, as on an AR-15.  you can use the same safety selector on the AR-308 as on the AR-15.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 2:22:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I have several brands of AR15 lowers, and a couple of brands of AR-308 lowers, and the lower receiver width at the fire control area, safety selector, is the same.  no difference in width between the AR-15 and the AR-308, in that area.

on my AR-308s, the AR-308 is wider at the mag area, and also, maybe, above the fire control area, to mate to with wider upper receiver, depending on brand.

in my limited experience, the safety selector on the AR-308 sticks out the same, or not, as on an AR-15.  you can use the same safety selector on the AR-308 as on the AR-15.
View Quote
Interesting.

Thanks for that.
Makes me wonder why they do make the safety levers stick out on each side like my ears in my 1st grade pictures.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 2:24:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Used some LocTite on the other safety lever and the threads on the SBPDW buffer tube.
Took a few swipes at the bolt stop with a file.

Another 3.5 mags with no jams, no issues at all.

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top