Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2020 8:14:35 PM EDT
Just wrapping this build up and got my Aero BCG in today and went to go put it in the rifle and its extremely hard to charge or pull back with the charging handle.  I can get it back but it seems like it shouldnt be that hard.  IS that something thatll wear in or am I looking at a head spacing issue?  Also noticed these marks on the backside of the bolt.  I did not check it with a Go no Go gauge yet......

Aero Nickel Boron BCG
Aero M5 Upper
Ballistic Advantage 20" stainless barrel

Link Posted: 5/22/2020 8:24:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Just looks like machining imperfections on the bolt as the NiB finish appears to still be intact.  

When you say “hard to pull back,” is it difficult to pull back the entire way or does it seem like it’s sticking when the bolt is locked and then it frees up/is easier to pull rearward after the bolt unlocks and is clear of the barrel extension?
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 8:39:38 PM EDT
[#2]
My recent and only m5 build felt the same. I lubed it up a cycled it a bit and it eased up. It still takes more force than a 556.  I had a Toolcraft double ejector bcg and aero ch.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 8:56:41 PM EDT
[#3]
So i tried charing it by the bolt release for the first time and it got stuck hard to the point it took everything I had to pull it back with the charging handle.  The bolt is going into the barrel and twisting but it appears that the lugs are not releasing when I go to charge the handle.

Once it is free of the barrel it moves as normal.  The problem is when the bolt comes in contact with the barrel lugs.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 9:37:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Once it is free of the barrel it moves as normal.  The problem is when the bolt comes in contact with the barrel lugs.
View Quote

it could also be the gas rings sticking at the bottom of the NiB-coated carrier bore, i.e. not a lug-clearance issue.

the ONLY NiB BCG i've had problems with is the Aero 308 NiB BCG, no others.  had this occur with several of them, and only the NiB Aero 308 BCGs, not the Aero nitride BCG.  The Aero 308 NiB ended up requiring a 2-handed pull on the ambi CH at the range, ended up replacing my Aero 308 NiB's with either a Brownells 308 nitride BCG, or Aero 308 nitride BCG.  Bought a Brownells NiB BCG, but haven't tried it out yet, it's got the HP skinny firing pin.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 9:37:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Check if your chwrging handle is in spec. I bought a cheap one and had the same issues. Replaced it with a name brand and it was night and day.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 9:47:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

it could also be the gas rings sticking at the bottom of the NiB-coated carrier bore, i.e. not a lug-clearance issue.

the ONLY NiB BCG i've had problems with is the Aero 308 NiB BCG, no others.  had this occur with several of them, and only the NiB Aero 308 BCGs, not the Aero nitride BCG.  The Aero 308 NiB ended up requiring a 2-handed pull on the ambi CH at the range, ended up replacing my Aero 308 NiB's with either a Brownells 308 nitride BCG, or Aero 308 nitride BCG.  Bought a Brownells NiB BCG, but haven't tried it out yet, it's got the HP skinny firing pin.

YMMV.
View Quote

The 2 handed pull is pretty much what I have to do.  Are you able to get the NiB BCG to work or just scrap it?
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 9:48:03 PM EDT
[#7]
^I've been having issues with PSA AR10 CH.. Replaced with Radian Raptor, much better results. The PSA CH get stuck in the upper with the BCG installed. One measurement that was off was the depth of the channel inside the CH. It was a shallower on the PSA
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 9:51:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Pretty sure its not the charing handle.  I already have a radian raptor in it.  Without the BCG in it, it moves perfect.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 10:38:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The 2 handed pull is pretty much what I have to do.  Are you able to get the NiB BCG to work or just scrap it?
View Quote

I ended up scapping it, sorry to say.  replaced with a Brownells nitride, they used to be $138.99, and used to be able to get 10% off coupon, and free shipping.  Those were the salad days, alas, those days are over.  From my observation, it was just the bore inside the carrier that was the issue.  You could probably still use the NiB bolt if you could scrounge up a 308 bolt carrier (phosphate or nitride), but when it was $138.99, it was cheaper to just replace the whole BCG.

just my experience.

Brownells 308 nitride BCG, now $159.99.  Yeah, WTF!
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 9:58:28 PM EDT
[#10]
does the bolt itself, i.e., without the carrier, does the bolt spin freely when engaged in the barrel extension?  did you check headspace?

If the bolt itself doesn't rotate inside the barrel extension when engaged, then please ignore my above comments about the NiB carrier.  That's should've been Square One: bolt rotate in BE, check HS.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 1:09:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top